Deposit Still Required for Phone Contract with APRC

Just do the math on contracts. They are very rarely cheaper and the phines are generally the ones with bugs and become problematic quite often.

How would the same phone bought through a subsidized program be any different than if it was bought separately?

I have taken both roads in the past, phone with contract and buying the phone off contract. It always ended up cheaper in the long run buying the phone off contract.

If you don’t have the cash to pony up for a new phone, but you really want one, then buying one on contract would be the only option…but you will pay more in the end.

3 Likes

Amen! I quit Chunghwa for that very reason. Senao is awful as a reseller.

If its the same it wont. What i meant was the ones they give away in contracts are often the ones with factory bugs. I been throigh numerous times, asus being the absolute worst! Ive gone through 3 asus contract phones in no time. The phones i have bought never have those quirky issues. Far from scientific but the topic keeps coming up in conversation over the years.

TL;DR;
To change a contract from my wife to my name CHT (中華電信) wanted almost 3k deposit and a guarantor. I argued with them and won. No deposit and no guarantor.

The contract originated from that awesome deal CHT had a few years back.

Because it was insanely popular and a short promotion the CHT locations were swarmed with long lines. By the time we got our turn it was well past closing time and every worker was tired. Because of those circumstances, it was not possible to push the issue with deposits/guarantor and we got the contract in my wife’s name to avoid all of that.
That is not ideal as the identification verification using the phone number won’t work.

Yesterday my FIL wanted to change a contract, so we went to do that. I remembered the issue about my contract and wanted them to change it to my ID number. They said they need to change the whole contract to my name and that would require a deposit (ca. 3k) and a guarantor because I am a foreigner.

I knew what was up and started a show of how upset and offended I am. :grin: (Feel sorry for the girl at the counter as she did nothing to deserve that)
That prompted two managers to come to us to assist. I showed them the law about the non discrimination based on nationality, since Taiwanese are not required to pay that. Their interpretation is different of course, since they discriminate against all foreigners equally, that law does not apply.
They tried to persuade me to accept the deposit since I will get it back when I leave Taiwan! I told them I am permanent resident and not going to leave ever, so are they going to keep it until I die?!
I also threatened them with making complaints to authorities about such discrimination.

With this performance I was able to get all those requirements waved. No deposit and no guarantor.
But I am sure next foreigner who will walk in, will be asked for a deposit/guarantor again…

Helpful for my case were:
APRC
contract that was always paid in full on time over many years
(probably because I am a Caucasian Westerner)

5 Likes

You should have gotten the names of the staff and which location and lodge a written complaint complaint anyway. It’s because you got what you wanted they won’t change their attitude. If you let me know what location if it was Changwha Telecom I will take it up with the head of Chiayi as I am a VIP customer there. In fact sometimes they are unaware of what some branch staff keep on doing as their is no policy stating APRC holders need a deposit.

Good work, well done!

Errr… what? That’s a bizarre interpretation. The law says you can’t discriminate against people [residing in the Taiwan area] based on nationality, not that you can’t discriminate against foreigners based on nationality.

It is a small branch and basically all staff was on my case because it was not busy at that time.

They always think that having different rules for people without Taiwan ID is not discrimination based on nationality.

5 years ago I took a contract out with Chunghwa Telecom and paid a NT$2900 deposit.

In August I went to renew my contract and said since I’ve gone from Gold Card to Permanent Resident can I get that deposit back. After they checked with their supervisor they said only under 2 conditions:

1. I have a Taiwan national as a guarantor
  2. I have a Taiwan company as a guarantor

The reason they gave was “incase I disappear”. What really annoyed me though was after all that they said “so do you still want to renew your contract?”… I did btw as it was a good deal and I’ve been there 5 years.

I put an official complaint into the Consumer Protection Committee of the Executive Yuan and they passed my case to the Telecommunications Consumer Mediation Center.

I got a call from Chunghwa Telecom about a week or so later apologizing about the situation and asked which branch is most convenient for me to goto and they will especially make sure the staff there know to refund deposits to Permanent Residents.

According to what they said on the call is Permanent Residents don’t required the deposit and their staff was unaware of this at the branch.

If others still have deposits held up then the BoAi branch should be aware to refund them, otherwise go through the Consumer Protection Committee.

I think the more people that complain the more pushed CHT HQ will be to ensure all branches are up to speed.

11 Likes

Years ago I went Chunghua branch hopping as each branch did their own thing. One would ask for a deposit, the branch 10 min down the road signed me up without deposit.

Chunghua really needs to send out a branch wide bulletin to everyone so they don’t all make up crap.

1 Like

Exactly. The chap I deal with in Chiayi called my wife to say APRC holders should not be asked for a deposit.

To be fair, glad the other beaurocrats managed to get it one. Taiwan as an issue with government drones not knowing their job post test passing :rage:

Nothing changes if the people dont stand up.

Good job!

1 Like

What branch was this?

And forget about getting a contract and phone with any other provider if not being a Taiwan citizen.

Taiwan Mobile has not required deposits or guarantors for foreigners for years now.

Damn, I forgot the word ‘online’. Anyways, a few months ago I tried to get a phone and a contract at a store and they plainly refused, the store was a franchise store not one of the real branch stores. They even called the company and told them it’s ‘bullshit’. Many people working at Taiwan Mobile or Far Eastern don’t actually know anything. I left before anger would have taken over.
I have a CHT contract but wanted a second one and phone CHT doesn’t have.