Depositing and cashing checks/cheques in Taiwan

I was given a local check the other day, and plan to either cash it or deposit it in the morning, when the banks open. The last time I deposited a check was in 2014 in the UK, and I remember waiting about a week for it to clear, is is the same in Taiwan or will the funds clear immediately? Additionally, must I go to my bank and deposit it, or can I just walk into any bank and exchange it there and then for cash?

I deposited a check last week and it cleared in two days. Safest bet is to go to your own bank, because most cheques have limitations and can only be cashed against your bank account, not in cash. If you have a post office nearby try them, if they can’t cash it, then you know you have to deposit it at your own bank. HTH.

I can’t promise it works the same way here, but I used to work at a bank and a check could be cashed at the bank it was drawn on (the bank appearing on the check). They have access to the funds and should be able to hand the money over. Again, I don’t know if that’s the rule in Taiwan. We had to make people show ID and give a fingerprint to do it. If you cash it at your own bank, they may put a hold on your account for that amount until it clears. As the above post says, it’s safest to deposit it and wait unless you’re in need of money and have time to run around.