Depression and suicide among Asian-Americans

13 posts were split to a new topic: From depression and suicide

Donā€™t wait until their senior years to find freedom. Find it now and stand your ground. Theyā€™ll learn to deal with it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m well aware of what the SCMP is.

Iā€™m not saying these statistics have anything to do with Covid-19 (that wouldnā€™t show up in the numbers yet anyway). Iā€™m just saying the outlook doesnā€™t improve when you have people in some countries going around saying in very public ways that Asians are dangerous because theyā€™re dirty and diseased. Search through the news (not just from Asia), and youā€™ll see. Some of them (like the ā€œCossackā€ patrols in Russia) take pains to point out that they want people to be afraid of all ā€œAsiansā€, not just Chinese. I do wonder where they draw the line, thoughā€¦ :thinking:

Okay, just making sure to talk about SCMP. I think itā€™s good to have reminders of who or what backs the media source Iā€™m reading. Additionally, when an article is more scientific, I like to pick it apart for biases and dig down into its claims. (The danger here is not to mistake blind skepticism / disbelief as reason.)

For Americans aged 20-24 there are many pressures, including job and economic issues (e.g. many will never be able to afford a house, many will have student loans into middle age), as well as external factors like politics or climate change (article: a growing number of young people cite climate concerns as reason for not having kids). Add to this cultural factors and pressures of being AAPI (though as mentioned in the thread, throwing pacific islanders in with East and South Asians is a bit disingenuous), and again add American racial issues, and itā€™s no wonder suicide rates are so high. I donā€™t doubt that the rise of racist ideologies is making it worse. Iā€™m saying that itā€™s likely overall much more complex than that, and Iā€™m questioning the idea that a rise in suicide rates for these groups can be wholly or mostly attributed to a rise in racist ideologies. Iā€™m not disbelieving that by any means, Iā€™m asking for some proof or a study that can show that more clearly.

Yeah, Iā€™ve seen some of the videos and read accounts of people being yelled at/attacked. It really sucks that there are such stupid and angry people in the world.

Some of them (like the ā€œCossackā€ patrols in Russia) take pains to point out that they want people to be afraid of all ā€œAsiansā€, not just Chinese.

Including Caucasians? :rofl: They should at least include Russia, it makes up, like, most of Asia!

ā€¦on a separate note, could we maybe split some of these posts? dental care in costa rica and flame wars about why women suck donā€™t seem super related to suicide rates in Asian-Americans.

2 Likes

There is need for mental health for all ages, I see a lot more Asian-Americans in the news and not in good way and many are elders like this, bad start to the year in the USA. One good thing in Taiwan I see more mental health clinics and good business meaning many more Taiwanese are less shameful to get help

1 Like