Deputy Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong opinion of Taiwan

straitstimes.com/storyprintf … 24,00.html

Well after all the media coverage of Singapore’s Deputy Prime Minister visit to Taiwan and China denoucing the visit as a violation of the One China Policy, Lee Hsien Loong has these interesting words.

[quote]Q: What are your impressions of Taiwan after your visit?

A: The Green side is focused on the upcoming Legislative Yuan election. They feel that a stronger Taiwanese identity is emerging, and that more Taiwanese now support independence.

The Blue side is preoccupied with the validity of the presidential election, the court proceedings and the investigation of the March 19 shooting incident.

It may be some time before both Green and Blue leaders and their supporters focus their thinking on the longer-term position of Taiwan and work out their respective strategies for the way ahead.

None of the friends I met gave me the impression that the Taiwanese leaders were eager for a confrontation across the strait.

Several told me that the leaders will not push for independence. They also recognised that what matters is not what the leaders say, but what they do.

I did notice the stronger Taiwanese identity among the population. I also learnt that most Taiwanese believe that China will not attack them. It seems that most also believe that the US will come to Taiwan’s rescue if China does attack. I was troubled by this.

The Taiwanese media are focused almost exclusively on domestic issues, with very little reporting of what is happening in the world outside, like North Korea or Iraq.

The Taiwanese have not fully come to terms with how rapidly China is transforming itself, and consequently, how interdependent the US and China are becoming.

This is especially so with Taiwanese political leaders and officials who are not allowed to visit China.

For the same reason, the Taiwanese public do not know how other major powers like Germany, France, Italy and Russia and India are repositioning themselves and adjusting their policies to this different China that is emerging.

Because of their preoccupation with domestic politics and winning votes, they have not adequately factored in the vast changes in the international situation. So we cannot rule out a miscalculation or mishap that would have serious repercussions on Singapore and the region.

We must watch the situation carefully.[/quote]

Same old blame the victim nonsense. Anyone looking at the last election can easily see which party attempted to call up the Chinese demon. Chen has now been President for four years, during which he walked carefully between Chinese threats, US pressure, and European indifference. Its too bad that a few pro-authoritarian types around here can’t see that.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]http://www.straitstimes.com/storyprintfriendly/0,1887,261924,00.html

Well after all the media coverage of Singapore’s Deputy Prime Minister visit to Taiwan and China denoucing the visit as a violation of the One China Policy, Lee Hsien (Xian) Loong has these interesting words.

[quote]Q: What are your impressions of Taiwan after your visit?

A: The Green side is focused on the upcoming Legislative Yuan election. They feel that a stronger Taiwanese identity is emerging, and that more Taiwanese now support independence.

The Blue side is preoccupied with the validity of the presidential election, the court proceedings and the investigation of the March 19 shooting incident.

It may be some time before both Green and Blue leaders and their supporters focus their thinking on the longer-term position of Taiwan and work out their respective strategies for the way ahead.

None of the friends I met gave me the impression that the Taiwanese leaders were eager for a confrontation across the strait.

Several told me that the leaders will not push for independence. They also recognised that what matters is not what the leaders say, but what they do.

I did notice the stronger Taiwanese identity among the population. I also learnt that most Taiwanese believe that China will not attack them. It seems that most also believe that the US will come to Taiwan’s rescue if China does attack. I was troubled by this.

The Taiwanese media are focused almost exclusively on domestic issues, with very little reporting of what is happening in the world outside, like North Korea or Iraq.

The Taiwanese have not fully come to terms with how rapidly China is transforming itself, and consequently, how interdependent the US and China are becoming.

This is especially so with Taiwanese political leaders and officials who are not allowed to visit China.

For the same reason, the Taiwanese public do not know how other major powers like Germany, France, Italy and Russia and India are repositioning themselves and adjusting their policies to this different China that is emerging.

Because of their preoccupation with domestic politics and winning votes, they have not adequately factored in the vast changes in the international situation. So we cannot rule out a miscalculation or mishap that would have serious repercussions on Singapore and the region.

We must watch the situation carefully.[/quote][/quote]

The Straits Times is a weak newspaper run by the former leader of Singapore’s secret police. The Jakarta bureau of the ST also contains spies working for the Singaporean Government. I remeber overhearing the Foreign Editor say this. Maybe he was joking – but I am not sure. In other words, I doubt if every journalist working at the ST is a real bonafide journalist. How can the DPM criticize Taiwan’s press when Singapore’s press is so biased and self-censored? The newspaper is the goverment’s mouthpiece and nothing more. In fact, the leadership at the paper has the utmost respect for the PRC and I heard them praise Xinhua many times. No wonder AC Dropout is using it as a link.

All in all, people should also not put too much creedence into the DPM’s statements. He has worked his way up the totem pole solely by being LKY’s son. In Singapore, he has a reputation of being an arrogant SOB. Plato once said “The cost of not showing an interest in public affairs, is to be governed by people worse than oneself.” I personally hope JBJ and the opposition “keep on truckin” and someday do some “serious bootfucking.” Furthermore, I hope the timid general public in Singapore start to “awaken”