Deranged Man plows into Wisconsin Christmas parade

Well, he just decided his early retirement plan. Unless it was self defense against systemic racism. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Locals pronounce it almost like ā€œwalk shawā€, though there is the slightest schwa between the syllables :joy:

2 Likes

I get that, everyone is sad to see a senseless loss of life.

But answer me this, why in the shooting of Jacob Blake have the media pile on about how white police turned up and just shot a black man for no reason, they were called, there was a domestic dispute and he did have a knife.

Why in the case of Kyle Rittenhouse were they quick to assign his narrative, which 18 months later we learned in court wasnā€™t true and even then after a not guilty verdict came the string of celebrities and politicians who knew better chimed in to say the jury got it wrong.

Now in this case, CNN at least isnā€™t reporting on the race of the person who apparently was responsible for all this, no one wants to make any assumptions, which they had no problem doing previously, wrongly. Now according to your reasoning, anyone making a suggestion politics played a role should be admonished.

Do you see the double standard? Jump to conclusions as much as you like, even wrongly as long as it suits your narrative, then no one should make any suggestion or conclusion unless itā€™s proven in a court of law and even then it seems if it goes the wrong way the just claim the justice system is broken.

2 Likes

Bring it up with someone else. I already said I was happy Kyle Rittenhouse was acquitted and that it was a weak case in the other thread. Iā€™m not nearly as political as you seem to think I am and itā€™s certainly not my job to defend CNN or any other media outlets. Iā€™m plenty critical of both leftwing and rightwing media.

I hadnā€™t thought of you as particularly political.

Most people who post donā€™t align themselves devoutly to a party, thereā€™s one or two, but I hadnā€™t thought of you in such a way.

Really? Every regular poster on the politics forums is binary. Which posters arenā€™t?

How can politics be binary, except for fools.

Most people that discuss here I think are intelligent.

2 Likes

You really believe this? You believe that posters donā€™t address every single issue according to their political beliefs? OK.

1 - Doing a google search for jacob blake on 8/23-8/24 shooting on cnn.com shows that the couple articles turned up they :
i - reported he was black
ii - did not say he was shot for no reason
iii - reported the domestic violence call

2 - While the Rittenhouse self defense verdict was the correct one imo, itā€™s not exactly a difficult stretch to see how others might have, and continue to view, the circumstances differently. There is not a hard right / wrong answer on that one, so whatever.

You are making a generalization, people shift and move and change their opinions, there was a time not so long ago I would never have imagined I might agree with the right wing, generally. over the left, I may lean left again, I would like to, just canā€™t right now.

2 Likes

I really donā€™t see that. Not one bit.

Every single issue? Meh. My bleeding heart liberal side appears once in a while.

2 Likes

There was definitely a widely reported initial narrative based on the idea that Blake was simply breaking up an altercation, which I believe was spread by Crump. I think youā€™re right that it was reported that the police said initially they were responding to a domestic disturbance call. It was only a bit later after the main events in Kenosha that more details came in. We got quotes like this from the Democratic governor:

ā€œTonight, Jacob Blake was shot in the back multiple times, in broad daylight,ā€ Evers said in a statement. ā€œWhile we do not have all of the details yet, what we know for certain is that he is not the first Black man or person to have been shot or injured or mercilessly killed at the hands of individuals in law enforcement.ā€

OK.

And the Lt Gov

Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes added, ā€œThe irony is not lost on me that as Jacob Blake was actually trying to deescalate a situation in his community, but the responding officer didnā€™t feel the need to do the same.ā€

This is clearly based on erroneous information.

Iā€™d beat myself about the head with a brick before I voted for a Democrat now, by the way. I guess that could be considered partisan, but it could change, and was different quite recently.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/24/us/kenosha-police-shooting-jacob-blake/index.html

4 Likes

Iā€™m all over the political map. Really depends on the issue.

8 Likes

Get me and Chewy talking about Kissinger. :laughing:

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1462643699679211520

Hmm, that does seem a little suspicious.

1 Like

5 years ago I reluctantly preferred Hillary to Trump. After the 2016 election, the left didnā€™t moderate; they went full insane mode. Covid and 2020 ratcheted it up even more. Now even when I do agree with the moderate Democrats on an an issue (e.g., gun control, abortion, immigration) I still wonā€™t support them as I see their brand of crazy as too dangerous.

8 Likes

I think a lot of people will either sit the next election cycle out or vote 3rd party or write in.

2 Likes

Their strategy seems to be make the outside as dangerous and chaotic as possible and weā€™ll let you work from home.

You wonā€™t catch me at an outdoor event anymore. It sucks having that kind of anxiety but thatā€™s the reality.