Despicable drunk guy beating a dog (difficult to watch)

I carefully looked at the blows. Yes he did hit the dog…and LUCKILY he was drunk and he didn’t use a stick.It’s horrible but I think the dog didn’t suffer heavy injuries…imagine the guy kicked it!!! The road adress is right there. Dogs should not be tied up outside. It leaves them open to the elements and attacks from other dogs and people. Look how short those leashes are.

Anyone living in that area that feels like going there and asking the owners to give the dogs up? Sure we can find them a more suitable home.

[quote=“Battery9”]I carefully looked at the blows. Yes he did hit the dog…and LUCKILY he was drunk and he didn’t use a stick.It’s horrible but I think the dog didn’t suffer heavy injuries…imagine the guy kicked it!!! The road adress is right there. Dogs should not be tied up outside. It leaves them open to the elements and attacks from other dogs and people. Look how short those leashes are.

Anyone living in that area that feels like going there and asking the owners to give the dogs up? Sure we can find them a more suitable home.[/quote]

Well, if it’s in Kaohsiung county, I’d be willing to visit the dogs. Just anyone find out where it is exactly and let me know. As for the beating with the BBQ thingy, I’ll have to agree with jimi, and I’d also like to mention that at some point the guy threw a stone at the dog that looked like it was about half the size of a brick. If he hit the dog with it, for certain the dog is injured badly. He could have killed the dog with a stone that size for all we know.

marboulette

I would make good use of my barbecue-sticks-that-sometimes-are-also-called-baseball-bats to go after him. And if I was the girl, I would go talk with the people that own the dogs, show them the video and ask them if they are happy that their dogs are in a safe place… I don’t know how many dogs around my house spend the days watching me walking my westie, while they sit on their cages…

[quote=“Battery9”]I carefully looked at the blows. Yes he did hit the dog…and LUCKILY he was drunk and he didn’t use a stick.It’s horrible but I think the dog didn’t suffer heavy injuries…imagine the guy kicked it!!! The road adress is right there. Dogs should not be tied up outside. It leaves them open to the elements and attacks from other dogs and people. Look how short those leashes are.

Anyone living in that area that feels like going there and asking the owners to give the dogs up? Sure we can find them a more suitable home.[/quote]

Several things happened, and I’m sure nothing will be done in the end. That’s because this is TAIWAN!! Any dog/cat/kid born on this island is unfortunate, unless you have a good owner/parent who’d protect you from harm.

1. The person video taped the drunk beating the dogs didn’t speak up for fear of being marked by the drunk and suffer comeback attacks afterwards. The person later said (s)he felt terrible. But I’m sure many of us will say this, suppose the dogs died as a result of the beating, then what good would feeling sorry do? :fume:
    Once I heard someone in my neighborhood beating their dogs, the dogs yelped very loudly and I heard it while standing on my (rental) balcony. I couldn’t tell which house/family was doing this, but I yelled out anyway, I yelled into the open-air: Hey, you, you beating the dogs. STOP!! You think no one is watching, but I am. God’s watching, too. Then the barking stopped. I hoped the dogs were all right and not dead.
    If I were down in KS county, around where the dogs live, I’d pay a visit to the (golden haired) boy & let him know my thoughts. (I’d wear dark glasses & disguise a little bit). Of course, I’m joking~ :roflmao:
    According to the newspapers, this guy received a beating just in the morning when he was drunk, then he walked by the dogs and the dogs barked at him which made him angry. He took (something) and gave them a good beating. He went back several times because he just couldn’t shake off the anger he had from having been beaten a little earlier. When the animal protection officers caught up with him, in order to avoid heavy punishment or fine, he said that he was sorry for beating the dogs. :bluemad: I suppose we all should use this trick~when I beat sb up, I’d appear that I’m sorry, and I’d receive a lesser fine/punishment. :discodance:
    Yes, it’s true. Animals as well as children(and adults) can receive a life-long trauma from experiences.
    By the way, in Taiwan, dogs are tied up outside supposedly to watch the place and deter thieves/crooks from entering, which I think it’s just very silly. The locals do not think too much about the fact that crooks could just throw poisoned meat to the dogs or simply kill them with a knife/bat. Most of the locals think that since most of the dogs are homeless dogs and didn’t cost very much money to acquire, the dogs’ lives are dispensable. Plus, there is no shortage of homeless dogs in Taiwan. What’s worse, my friends and I have discovered that some of the dog owners, in order to save money, do not feed the dogs food as a general practice. As a matter of fact, these dog owners even ask the loving-mothers and loving-fathers to feed their dogs. :thumbsdown: :noway:

2. This is Taiwan. I’m sure many of us have seen/witnessed unusual animal treatments by the Taiwanese. Many locals still do not know or realize that there are animal protection laws in place since 1998, especially in the countryside, like KS county, maybe what constitutes “dog beating” is what they call an everyday activity/exercise.
    As for other animal welfare or living conditions, I’m sure it’s not upto other more developed countries’ standards. I will quote from my neighbor, whose dog I rescued from a harsh living environment, my neighbor said to me: I’m sure your dogs live better than we do. :ponder: When a human being says that to you, what do say in response? I said to the husband and wife(in Chinese): I treat my dogs better than I treat myself! :roflmao: I went on saying: I’m trying to collect + points for good Karma. I hope and wish you both do not pick-up any more dogs because neglecting and mistreating (animals/people) will give you - points for karma.
    Apparently people believe more in after life, karma, Buhdah, etc.

In my view this is not about “Taiwanese culture” or “Taiwanese people” this is about PEOPLE. Cruel heartless people who in a fit of rage or out of boredom, comit terrible crimes, this happens around the world

A 44-year-old Reno man remained jailed Monday, accused of breaking through a neighbor’s fence and fatally bludgeoning a barking Chihuahua puppy. Incident Date: Sunday, May 3, 2009
County: Washoe USA

A pair of Lancaster County teenagers is facing serious charges after cell phone camera evidence leads investigators to a shocking case of animal abuse.
The teens are accused of beating a pet cat to death and recording it on a cell phone camcorder.
Officers said the pet was an adult tabby cat that the pair of 17-year-olds found at a home east of Lincoln.
Detectives said the teens shot the cat with a bow and arrow.
“The arrow did exit the cat but did not cause the cat to die,” Capt. Ben Houchin said.
Officers said the teens then they took the cat by the tail and slammed it two times on a picnic table.
“[They] picked up a log and struck the cat with the log on the ground,” Houchin said.
One of the teens’ 14-year-old brother recorded 15 seconds of the abuse on his cell phone camcorder.
“What’s also kind of disturbing is you can hear laughter on the video tape of the kids laughing while this was happening,” Houchin said.
Waverly school officials called law enforcement after the two teens showed the video to other students.
'The people who viewed this incident were very disturbed by it and upset," Houchin said.
The 17-year-olds were ticketed for animal cruelty and since the cat died, they could face a class four felony charge. Incident Date: Friday, Mar 13, 2009
County: Lancaster USA

A violent dog owner punched and kicked two six-month-old puppies after they had made a mess in his Black Country flat. Tipton, EN (UK)

there are many many more like this. I’m putting these here to make a point that it is a “people” problem that happens around the world. We have to try and put a stop to it by reporting these things, by making the media aware, by helping to educate those around us (but not in a condescending way and trying to understand other’s situations), by setting good examples. I’m a strong believe that everyone can make a difference.

Yes, it is a people problem and it is happening all around the world. Far worse in some countries than here, in Taiwan. This said, demographics show that animal abuse is more common in some countries. As far as developed countries are concerned, Taiwan is up there on the list of animal abuse, unfortunately. In my first two years living here, I have witnessed more pets being abused and mistreated than I have in all my life. Enough in fact, that I felt compelled to help animals here, and I’ve been spending thousands of hours trying to make a difference since then. In the big picture, and on a case by case basis.

marboulette

I am not going to look at this video. Please don’t post these things.

Makes absolutely no difference to you since you are not going to watch it. :s

marboulette

Thanks but not every thread is all about you. We are discussing an important issue.

Good points about this happening everywhere in the world. Just seems to be more acceptible, frequent and tolerated in some places. Most of the abuse cases I come across are not out of blatant cruelty, but ignorance. I’m sure it took our home countries a long long time to get to where we are today. The good news is, I’ve seen a lot of progress in my 4 years here. Unless one is very much involved, it’s quite difficult to notice this progress.

Yes, UKbikerchic & marboulette are right, this sort of problem is a “people’s” problem, not necessary just a “TAiwanese”. So, is it just me, or is it a lot of us who feel there are too many people on this island who do not respect dogs/cats/animals lives?
I hope you can read Chinese, I don’t know how to interpret this article without having rage over the f*cker police officer who hit the dogs just becuase they’re in his way.
savedogs.org/forum/article_v … f_no=12738
新聞: 直擊警打狗 外籍生投訴 警所說查無此事

I help friends & neighbors put away crooks back home by being alert when something fishy is going on, whether it be abused people/animals. Here, I can’t do anything because I can report the incidents to the police, and they’d just filed the cases away. I got carried away when I said the people on this island because I called the police and reported animal cruelty and people fighting more than 20 and less than 50 times since I have been here. I can tell you the number of times the police responded eagerly to the scene, not many. The police would respond eventually to the sites/scene of the crime, but to find out the abuse cases are regarding animals, they would just go back into their cars and drive away. :bluemad:
It’s frustrating!! We need an ANIMAL CARE OFFICER to be establish (on this island). :bravo:

Does anyone know this guy? He gave his dog helium gas. This trash of a human being!! badongo.com/vid/1125902

[quote=“animalfriend”]
It’s frustrating!! We need an ANIMAL CARE OFFICER to be establish (on this island). :bravo:[/quote]

Taiwan already has such officers. Check out this thread for contact information. What to do if you see animal abuse

We have contacted them numerous times and they have ALWAYS conducted an investigation. They lean on the side of issuing legal warnings on a first offense as opposed to enforcing the law and issuing fines right away, but in many cases it’s enough to make people reconsider what they are doing. And to be culturally sensitive, it’s probably a better approach to avoid offenders losing face and taking their frustrations out on defenseless animals.

Only a month ago, we received a complaint regarding an old lady who was throwing stones and beating a neighborhood dog with a stick. We gathered signatures from eight witnesses in the neighborhood and we filed a complaint with the Animal Health Institute (details listed in the above linked thread). We temporarily removed the dog from the area and the officers paid the lady a visit. She denied everything, but they told her that if they received another complaint with so many witnesses, they would issue a fine to her regardless if she denied it or not. We waited two weeks before returning the dog, and since then, she has not raised a hand to hurt said dog.

So next time you witness animal abuse, my advice is gather evidence in the form of pictures, video or signatures from witnesses, and file a complaint with the proper authorities and you will find that they will not ignore it. Best to stay away from the kind of rant you posted here when you contact them. Not blaming you, I understand where you’re coming from, but you’ll attract more bees with honey than you will with vinegar is what I’m saying.

marboulette

that guy should be beat for his ugly ass dye job on his hair.

one thing people need to realize,( I hate being ‘that guy’, but no one has mentioned this) is that much of the rest of the world (including Taiwan, though things are changing) view dogs as DOGS.

They do not humanize them or romanticize relationships with them like we do in the West, they do not see them as family members or something that sleeps in your room.

They are simply dogs, one of many animals with a practical purpose, not your best mate, and in many culture calling someone a dog is calling them down to the lowest of the low.

So instead of automatically vilifying these retards for their despicable behavior (and yes it is bad, and I am not defending it) the focus needs to be on educating the public. Many people do not see how fucked up they are acting.

11 years ago Taipei was polluted with dogs, you had to walk over three mange ridden mutts just to enter a 7/11 (they would sprawl out in front of the door to catch a blast of the A/C everytime it opened). Riding a bike was a minor nightmare, especially in the mountains around the city, there were dogs everywhere and they were a massive nuisance.

People here didn’t know how to act towards or treat animals.

THINGS HAVE GOTTEN A LOT BETTER

what DOESN’T help the situation is a do-gooder whitey filming an atrocity and then running off to the JingCha instead of stopping it. I am sure the OP has the best of intentions, but for the long run, it might have been best to run downstairs and confront the dude, making him realize his gross overreaction.

Each one teach one, that’s how we reach one.

It always works better than involving the authorities.

Thanks, marboulette. I’ll try to remember what you said, but it’s difficult for me to stay calm :blush: when I meet up with abusers. :smiley: I’d like very much to kick ass of the abusers!! :bluemad:

I agree with you, things are improving.

A- The OP did not film this.

B- The person who did film it wrote in the comment section of the YouTube video that he/she was scared shitless to intervene so decided to film and report the abuser instead.

C-Do not understand your comment about do-gooder whitey. The person who filmed this is Taiwanese, for one.

D- Running downstairs and stopping him would have been excellent to save the dog further harm, but it would have inevitably resulted in nothing good for the long run, IMO. If you ever tried to tell someone to stop hitting their dog here, you’d know that this is only going to result in the dog being hit harder once you’re out of sight. Being made to lose face by a stranger doesn’t have the same effect as being made to lose face by someone with a badge and proper authority.

[quote]Each one teach one, that’s how we reach one.[/quote]That doesn’t work, here. That’s like saying making one lose face is the way to go about making one change his ways… That’s about as culturally insensitive as can be.

marboulette

PS: You’re welcome, animalfriend. :slight_smile: I’d have to say, kicking some ass would feel good sometimes. I think I will post a thread with pictures of my neighbor’s dog soon… You’ll see what I mean… Still trying to work that one out without making anyone lose face meanwhile effectively helping the dog… More about that later… (The thread will be called “My neighbor’s Dog”)

so the only way to get your point across is to make the other lose face? surely you can’t be serious, how would anything change? do you think he got more face by being arrested and having to apologize? there are plenty of ways to point things out and teach people to change with everyone keeping their face in tact.

regarding cultural insensitivity, the irony is that your blanket view of face is actually somewhat culturally insensitive.

Then give us an example of how you would go about teaching this guy that what he was doing was wrong while keeping face intact for all involved. Give us an example of what you would have done to make sure that guy learns a lesson. I’m truly intrigued…

Face is one of the most important thing in this culture. If you think that’s just a blanket generalization, then so be it… I have no further comments at this point.

marboulette

Then give us an example of how you would go about teaching this guy that what he was doing was wrong while keeping face intact for all involved. Give us an example of what you would have done to make sure that guy learns a lesson. I’m truly intrigued…

Face is one of the most important thing in this culture. If you think that’s just a blanket generalization, then so be it… I have no further comments at this point.

marboulette[/quote]

obviously you struggle with the English language. I said I think YOU made a blanket generalization about face (not how you have interpreted above), and for the record I am fully aware of how things work here culturally and could probably school you on it.

now to answer your question:

to diffuse the situation, I would first get his attention by saying ‘hey’ or ‘oye’. Not shouting at him, just loud enough for him to hear me clearly and grab his attention (taking it away from the dog), more or less in a questioning tone (2nd tone in Chinese if you will).

There is a high probability that him just being seen by another human would be enough to make him stop, my guess is the guy was so brutal because he thought no one was watching. When he realizes someone else was there he’d probably just yell at the dog once more and saunter off.

then (if he still hit the dog after, which I would bet money he wouldn’t after seeing me, but I will placate you for this hypothetical intervention) I would get between him and the dog, put my hands up, open palms as if to say ‘enough.’ I really wouldn’t worry too much about him using the stick on me as odds are he wouldn’t, people here aren’t of a fight first mentality, and the Taiwanese NEVER fight one vs one (besides, he is a skinny little douche with orange hair who probably got smacked by his little sister).

Then I would tend to the dog giving him a WTF? style Weisheme? Dude’s rage would be diffused, and his tail would be between his legs as he went away feeling like a right prick.

now this is the last I will say about this, you may see things playing out differently and that is fine, but in reality none of this is real (our hypothetical actions and their hypothetical reactions to our hypothetical actions) so taking this any further is an exercise in futility.

IMHO getting the police involved is almost always the wrong move. It will only make this guy hate dogs further, and not see the error in his ways, he will need to learn that himself.

I’m sure you could school me on how to help animals in various situations… And no, it’s not a blanket generalization… It’s a fact.

[quote]IMHO getting the police involved is almost always the wrong move. It will only make this guy hate dogs further, and not see the error in his ways, he will need to learn that himself.[/quote]Might as well scrap the animal protection law while you’re at it.

First you mention something about whitey do good, and about the OP not doing anything about the guy beating the dog. When in reality, the OP did not film it and the person who did isn’t white. In addition to that, the person who did film this stated being very scared of the guy, and it could be a girl or a kid with his/her camera cell phone for all we know. And now you mention the police…

The police did not handle this case, The Kaohsiung County Animal Health Institute took this case.

Now those are facts, as for my opinion, I think it’s very important to report animal abuse to the proper authorities, not the police. The animal health officers can request help from the police to deal with more serious cases as the one depicted in this thread, and the law covers an array of other offenses that are not as flagrant. But people don’t know about this, here. Many people don’t even know that animals are protected by the law. The law was passed in 1998, and many people aren’t aware of it.

You post as if doing this to an animal isn’t even a crime! Do you try to reason with someone who you catch breaking into a car or a house? Do you try to reason with someone you see snagging a women’s purse? No! You gather evidence if you can, and you call the proper authority. You can also intervene but that is not something many people would do when facing a drunk person with a stick.

Withey do good-take the law in my own hands… Now that’s what I would not recommend AT ALL. It’s a crime and people have to be reported for their crimes against animals if we’re ever going to see things improve further for the animals in Taiwan.

marboulette

Pressure on the face, or at least the threat thereof, is most oft the most applicable of levers.
A captive market, one might say.
Cultural insensitivity?
More like stubborn yardstickyness…
One must take measurements, after all.