Devil Cd rom

Ok, I totally searched and found nothing helpful, seriously I have a ghost, or my cd/dvd combo rom has been taken over by a demon or something… In the past few months it has taken to opening and closing all on it’s own. I have done numerous scans, for spyware and viruses all ok, yet it just zips open… and then closed and then open again and so on. The closest thing to a reason I can figure is my computer is doing it either 1) just for shits and giggles :loco: or 2) to drive my up the f%&king wall :fume:. Some days it doesn;t do it at all, and others, like right now (I think it knows I’m talking about it…) every 1 -15 seconds GAH! It only started doing this a few months ago, I haven;t installed anything new. And I’m baffled… ANyone have ANY idea what the heck is going on??? :help:

i remember netbus or other backdoor apps had the function to remotely do such actions as the ones you described but i doubt it can possibly be a trojan. you still could try to monitor your network to see anything suspicious. also, i suggest you try the drive in question on another computer or OS, you know, just to be sure.
this is funny anyways :smiley:

So how do I test for that sort of thing (back door appc)? I have 2 drives only one does it

just disconnect the computer from the network before you start it and keep it disconnected. Check if it is still doing this function. Or borrow a different CD drive from a friend, maybe it is related to the drive, or a dirty eject button.

Yeah. Good call from ratlung. You need to figure out what’s causing this: your computer, your cd drive, or some command coming through the network.

My initial feeling is that it could be the remnants of some botched installation, still looking for the installation CD or something. I’d also be looking closely at any cd burning or multimedia playing software that might be installed (even if it was installed ages ago). It might be worth uninstalling that stuff one by one till you find the problem (once you find out the problem is coming from within your own computer of course).

One additional thought. It is possible that at some stage you have inadvertently updated Office or something (like if you asked it to display a new language), and that has required the original Office CD, which it is still looking for.

Dude…Burn bai bai…

…my home boys are available to chase the demons and bring good fortune… :thumbsup:

It is alive and hungry.

When it opens next time, just put a cheese toast (or equal) into the disk tray and wait until it closes.

It will be saturated for long time and not open the tray again…

[quote=“irishstu”]Yeah. Good call from ratlung. You need to figure out what’s causing this: your computer, your cd drive, or some command coming through the network.

My initial feeling is that it could be the remnants of some botched installation, still looking for the installation CD or something. I’d also be looking closely at any cd burning or multimedia playing software that might be installed (even if it was installed ages ago). It might be worth uninstalling that stuff one by one till you find the problem (once you find out the problem is coming from within your own computer of course).

One additional thought. It is possible that at some stage you have inadvertently updated Office or something (like if you asked it to display a new language), and that has required the original Office CD, which it is still looking for.[/quote]I think if that is the case, it would say so, it wouldn’t just open the tray. This sounds more like a benign but annoying virus. You say you have more than one drive, which one is it ? The first one ?
If you go to Control Panel->Administrative tools->Computer Management->Disk Management. In the bottom right pane you can change drive letters. Swap them over (make the first CD drive Z or something) and see if the same drive does it. If the other drive does it, you know it’s a software problem.

Yeah, I agree… in an ideal world. Nothing surprises me with computers these days though…

I’ve also heard of viruses that can do this.

Maybe Taiwan Cowboy’s advice is the best.

you didnt mention that in your original post. now i think you got a hardware problem. simply unplug the ide cable from the drive but keep it powered and see what happens. if it never opens while powered but with ide unplugged, it is a software problem. if it does still open, you have a hardware problem with this drive.

You do have (up-to-date) anti-virus software I take it?

I also vote for this explanation as a similar problem has happened with an old burner I have. It won’t open by itself but it frequently closes all by itself. I think it’s the sensor that detects if someone is pushing on the tray which has gotten a bit twitchy. Since yours both opens and closes, my guess is that the eject button on the front of the drive is flaky. It may be all it needs is some cleaning.

AH ha, Well due to some self ‘funded’ experiments and advice, I may have isolated the problem, how to fix it is still entirely beyond me. It appears someone (virus or otherwise) is doing it from a different location. It does not open or close unbidden when the LAN cable is unplugged… this in no way solves my problem though, I have a computer so I can be online, not as a fun little box in the corner. sulk I don;t know how to make it stop so I can still use the internet…

I’m only going to ask one more time if you have anti-virus installed…

[quote=“delieadalish”]It does not open or close unbidden when the LAN cable is unplugged… this in no way solves my problem though,[/quote]Unplugging your LAN cable stops the evil spirits of forumosans (probably sandman, he’s a card) entering your computer.

And get some an upto date anti-virus program. I’m with stu, I don’t believe you have one either. AVG is free grisoft.com
And get a firewall.

sorry, Yes I do have Virus software, and yes it is up to date… plus i did panda online scan, it says no virus’s too… but apparently according to panda scan I have spy ware (obviously) that my other scanners aren’t picking up…
)

Ok so my ever so cheerfull little friend suggested that I wipe my hard drive reinstall windows and just start over … :doh: is that really my best option??? I have Norton anti virus pro, plus adaware, spybot, and sygate personal firewall. My other drive is an external dvd burner (that my hard drive doesn;t like (some weird conflict) …usb, so it stays turned off most of the time) I experimented with blocking different program’s access to the internet. When everything was blocked all was good but when fire fox, skype and goodle talk were conected (sometimes with one then another then no problem…) So I think there was still a problem… I’m so CONFUSED!!! :rant: maybe I’ll just let this little guy smash it… grrrr

install linux and forget about this dramatic experience :laughing: no virus, no adware, it must be a dream :rainbow: