Diabetic

Anyone know where I can get my hands on some Diabetic food for a friend who is going to be visiting Taiwan??? I would prefer somewhere in the Taichung area but anywhere would be ok.
I think Taiwans food is not that great for a Diabetic, oh yeah, WESTERN STYLE DIABETIC FOOD.

Thanx

I’m a diabetic too and I’ve never seen these products in Taipei.

Contrary to popular belief, diabetics don’t need ‘special food’. Calories are the killer, as most of what we eat is turned into sugar by our bodies. So as long as there are low calorie dishes on the menu your friend can eat anywhere, as I do.

I’m a diabetic too and I’ve never seen these products in Taipei.

Contrary to popular belief, diabetics don’t need ‘special food’. Calories are the killer, as most of what we eat is turned into sugar by our bodies. So as long as there are low calorie dishes on the menu your friend can eat anywhere, as I do.

What kinds of dishes would you typically eat in Taiwan. Everything seems to be fried in stacks of oil and is not that healthy. I never cook myself, I always eat out but I am a little concerned about finding healthy food for my friend.

When I talk about special diabetic food I mean treat kind of stuff. I remember seeing some Swiss Miss with no sugar in Taichung once and the selection in the hospital stores is not that great.

Any food tips??

It might help to find a good vegetarian restaurant and talk to one of the people there – they can probably point you in the right direction.

My boyfriend is diabetic too, though not insulin dependent. He’s actually doing quite well here. He’s completely diet controlled, and makes very little effort to eat well, and he’s been fine. I think he’s just been lucky… :slight_smile:

I have seen Equal and very recently Equal “Pourable” in the grocery stores here. But diet beverages are next to impossible to find, though Carrefour now has Diet Coke in cans (only).

If your friend has been diabetic for a while, then he or she know what’s okay and what isn’t. If s/he is newly diabetic, then it will requires more careful thought.

I am also in Taizhong, so if you want some more help, PM me. When will your friend be here and for how long?

Karen

Ok, so it wasn’t a “friend” it was me. I am diabetic, although at the time I didn’t want to admit it. It’s been over a year now and I thought I had it all under control until this week. I started feeling dizzy, I thought the ground was moving but it was just my head. 2 days of this and numbness starting to come and go in my hands, I went to the hospital and … :shock: 365 blood sugar level :shock:.

I couldn’t believe it and now I am scared out of my mind about trying to control it. I am tired of diabetes and tired of medications to help the diabeties that actually do your body harm and can lead to your death 20 years down the track. Glucophage, that’s the one. I am off it now, I told the Dr. that I didn’t want anything that could kill me. Trouble is now I am always hungry, I can’t control my appetite, however when my blood sugar sky rockets I loose weight, 2 weeks down 5 kgs.

Any advice?

What about stuff that you can eat and eat that will make you feel full but not raise the blood sugar???

Oh c’mon Bassman. you know the deal. numbness in your fingers BSL of 365! The sugar is bloody killing you.

At a guess I’d say the stress of opening your new show has impacted on your previous ability to control the diabetes through diet alone. Time to get back on the meds until things settle down.

Stuffing your face with newspaper’s just not going to help now is it?

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Oh c’mon Bassman. you know the deal. numbness in your fingers BSL of 365! The sugar is bloody killing you.

At a guess I’d say the stress of opening your new show has impacted on your previous ability to control the diabetes through diet alone. Time to get back on the meds until things settle down.

Stuffing your face with newspaper’s just not going to help now is it?

HG[/quote]

Glucophage doesn’t control blood sugar it just controls appetite. I take three other types of med. to control my blood sugar. Glucophage eats the pancreas and after 20 yrs on the stuff you can be sure that your system is shot. The Dr. agreed to no glucophage, I have never stopped taking the blood sugar medication, I’m not crazy, although sometimes I do forget to bring the damn stuff with me when I go out.

Hmmm… yes I see where you’d think that I’m off medication all together.

Don’t post and work, both get screwed up

Upping the meds?

HG

No, extra meds. for 4 days and next time I get the meds I need another blood test. The Dr. also gave me some sleeping pills, I only used them once, the other two days I didn’t need any help getting to sleep.

Bassman. Don’t know how bad your diabetes is normally but do you have your own test kit? The beauty of these bastards (and my but they are) is that you can gauge the influence of a multitude of factors on your blood sugar levels. This can include certain foods, medications, exercise and of course stress. The difficulty, from my observations (I’m not a diabetic, just an ex-nurse) is that people become really obsessed.

You posted somewere else that you were coming up for hol’s, I’m sure that is going to help considerably . . . as long as its restive!

HG

No test kit. The thought of sticking myself - ooooooooooo plonk, I just fainted

Never hurt me :wink:

HG

Bassman,

Are you type 1 or 2? If you

I am Type 2.

I never eat at home, maybe part of the problem

This news is very exciting and raises the possibility of a natural cure within the near future.

[quote]Spleen may provide diabetes cure

Pancreatic tissue from a successfully treated mouse (

Great news.

Now they need to get moving for Type 2 diabetics like myself.

I miss chocolate

Perhaps a similar technique will eliminate Type 2 also: By training the cells to recognise insulin, it will no longer be blocked.

This research is so exciting because, until now, the great hope was in stem cell research. However, this is years away from trialling, and, of course, there are many more illnesses that are literally lining up to use the same technology.

My only concern is that the greedy drug companies may try to hamper the spleen cell research because they have much to lose if a cure is found.