Diaper-changing in public places

Taiwanese had a chance, some person has to screw it up.

Today on the MRT I saw some lower class, trailer trash kind of things. There was this elder lady with a child maybe around 1-2 years old, and her child’s diaper needed to be changed. So I guess in her mind the best place to change the child was on the seats on a moving train. She probably thought “Hmm is it a good idea to lay down a blanket? Nah… Or should I even be changing a baby’s diaper on a semi-crowded moving train, what could happen?”

So there she goes taking the clothes off the child and changing the diaper, on the freakin seats, but the worst part, which this idiot probably didn’t think about, was that maybe it might smell a little bit. Sure enough she stunk up 2 trains with piss and shit. Lovely.
There are certain points in my time here I wish I spoke better Mandarin, this was one of them. No one said a word to her!
I wish I could of said something, and make her loose face. All I could do is shake my head and remember not to sit on the train ever again.

What’s the word for these lower class rude people? At least maybe next time I could yell that out at her.

What you do is you pull out your phone and take her picture (or pretend to, should your camera not have a phone – she won’t know the difference) while making a “cutting throat” gesture to suggest that you’re going to report her. Then do the “I think I’m gonna blow chunks” motion. If you feel really really pissed off, you would then actually vomit on the child and the woman.

That oughter do the trick.

Actually, she knows perfectly well she’s being a total cunt, so you could always just shout “Oh, you dirty, dirty stinking fucking BITCH!” She’d still get the message.

That’s terrible. I’m sure she could have got off at a stop, went to the lovely washrooms with a baby changing table and did the deed there. or even got off the train and used one of the benches around the corner of the escalator.

But I’ve said it before and I believe “There’s no such thing as common sense.” Not common enough, apparently.

That said, I do think the mrt system here is world class, in spite of the rude people and crappy things that can happen on it. I always use it to travel to Taipei shopping or dining. The motorbike is just too much of a hassle.

I seriously doubt she realized how inconsiderate she was. That’s the problem with inconsiderate people: they don’t consider things.

I’d say-

你 多 為 別 人 著 想 ﹐ 好 不 好 ﹖

ni3 duo1 wei4 bie2 ren2 zhao2 xiang3, hao3 bu4 hao3
“Could you be more considerate of others, please?”

But I’d probably preface it with something nice about knowing how it is to have to take care of a young kid.

This is not to excuse what that woman did. She needed a firm and immediate rebuke from her fellow citizens, and unfortunately, it didn’t happen.

I was in a McDonald’s in a very rural community in the U.S. a few years ago. An old woman did the exact same thing with a baby right on the table in a dining room. After recovering from my momentary “this must be The Twilight Zone” paralysis, I walked over and told her in no uncertain terms that she had chosen the most inappropriate place imaginable to do that. She didn’t look happy (who ever is when their indiscretions are pointed out?), but she gathered her stuff and headed for the restroom.

For quite a while after I arrived in Taiwan, even though I was living here, I was stuck in a “tourist” mode – be overly nice, don’t get involved, etc. I’m over that now. When I can, and it seems to make sense, I intervene. That said, actually, it’s probably a good thing that I speak so little Chinese. :smiling_imp:

:laughing: :bravo: :laughing:
:notworthy:

What’s wrong with changing a baby’s diaper/nappy on the MRT? Sometimes when it’s leaking out (and will probably drip on the floor) it is better to change it right away. I often end up changing the baby on a table in restaurants, but only if they don’t have a changing table or a clean dry counter in the bathroom.

I have to hand it the the Taipei Rapid Transit Company…they do have first class baby facilities. I have been to many countries and have yet to see better. Frickin Hong Kong Airport did not have baby changing facilities in the Arrivals. The bench in the lounge was nice and padded though :slight_smile:

Then go out to your car and do it, or if it happens often, don’t go to restaurants with your smelly offspring.
No one else want’s to smell or see your baby’s shite when they are eating, not to mention the very unhygenic implications regarding the whole affair. :bluemad:

Then go out to your car and do it, or if it happens often, don’t go to restaurants with your smelly offspring.
No one else want’s to smell or see your baby’s shite when they are eating, not to mention the very unhygenic implications regarding the whole affair. :bluemad:[/quote]
Come on Dangermouse! You really don’t seriously expect us to believe that you’ve never dropped your keks and taken a dump on the floor of a restaurant when the toilet queue was too long?

RE: Things to yell in Chinese

[quote]I’d say-
你 多 為 別 人 著 想 ﹐ 好 不 好 ﹖
ni3 duo1 wei4 bie2 ren2 zhao2 xiang3, hao3 bu4 hao3
“Could you be more considerate of others, please?” [/quote]

Quite refined . . . but it is Taiwan we’re living in, right?

Try this one on for size:

喂! 阿媽, 你在幹什麼?! 臭死了!

wei4! a1ma4, ni3 zai4 gan4 shen3me?! chou4si3 le!
“Hey! Granny, what the hell are you doing?! That rots!”

:smiley:

maybe she was copying da korean lady wid da dog on da subway incident…

:slight_smile:

TW always trying to emulate what they see abroad, u know how it iz

[quote=“webdoctors”]maybe she was copying da Korean lady with da dog on da subway incident…

:slight_smile:

TW always trying to emulate what they see abroad, u know how it iz[/quote]
Silly spelling or not, that’s funny! :laughing:

He should change his handle to “Ali G.”

I totally agree. I have never seen anything like it - not in Australia, New York, London, and certainly not Hong Kong.

I’ve been here for almost a year and a half, and I haven’t bothered buying a scooter. The MRT is just so convenient.

Oh, and I have to mention the incredible cleanliness of the MRT, the constant maintenance, and the almost unbelievable complete lack of graffiti and vandalism. :noway:

I often shit myself in public just to annoy people. But I have to take my hat off to people who have such a total disregard for the feelings of other people, and are so utterly self-absorbed that they would change a baby’s shitty nappy on a restaurant fucking table. :notworthy:

I see it as a sort of challenge. How do I top that? Perhaps pissing in a beer bottle in the cinema if I can’t be arsed to go to the bog? I could leave it under the seat.

I presume by the way that you’re joking. :astonished:

I often shit myself in public just to annoy people. But I have to take my hat off to people who have such a total disregard for the feelings of other people, and are so utterly self-absorbed that they would change a baby’s shitty nappy on a restaurant f***ing table. :notworthy:

I see it as a sort of challenge. How do I top that? Perhaps pissing in a beer bottle in the cinema if I can’t be arsed to go to the bog? I could leave it under the seat.
[/quote]
Not even close. Taking a surreptitious leak while sitting on a tatami-floored Japanese restaurant might do it, though.

I often shit myself in public just to annoy people. But I have to take my hat off to people who have such a total disregard for the feelings of other people, and are so utterly self-absorbed that they would change a baby’s shitty nappy on a restaurant f***ing table. :notworthy:

[/quote]
Not even close. Taking a surreptitious leak while sitting on a tatami-floored Japanese restaurant might do it, though.[/quote]

Pissing in one’s kecks in the back of a taxi on the way home from a big piss-up and then jumping out and taking off quick after paying is pretty good, too…

[/quote]
Not even close. Taking a surreptitious leak while sitting on a tatami-floored Japanese restaurant might do it, though.[/quote]

Pissing in one’s kecks in the back of a taxi on the way home from a big piss-up and then jumping out and taking off quick after paying is pretty good, too…[/quote]
But it has to be something that not many people are in the habit of doing.

A grandmother started to change her granddaughter right in the food court at Costco the other day. I sat contemplating what she was going to do at first when she laid her granddaughter down on the table and sniffed. When she pulled out the diaper, I stood up, walked over, and in my best Chinese (which isn’t saying much) said, “Eh! Ni zhidao cesuo zai nali! Women zheli chi fan a!” (You know there’s a bathroom over there. We eat food here.) She snatched up her granddaughter and kept glaring back at me and whispering to the kid. Probably telling the girl how evil foreigners are for not wanting to smell baby shit while trying to enjoy their food.

Doesn’t beat the time when I was getting my visa processed and watched a woman let her son piss into a clear plastic bag right in the middle of the office and put it into her purse, I shit you not. I guess she didn’t want to miss her number being called. :unamused: Can’t tell you how much I hoped the bag would leak… :smiling_imp:

Come on, guys. I know what you describe is gross and would be terribly rude to most people, but if you don’t have kids you have no idea how FEW changing facilities exist in Taiwan. If I have to take my son to a public place, the only option usually offered in a public women’s restroom for changing him is the floor! I’ve changed him outside on park benches in the summer time, and I’ve changed him on my lap as I sat on the toilet, while he was very small. I’ve even changed him in the stairwell at a department store in Taipei. I did try to be out of peoples space, especially their eating space, but really, Taiwan is just not a kid friendly place.