Did an ICRT DJ make racist comments recently?

And really? In all honesty, what can they do? “Yeah, we promoted you, but it appears that in addition to being kind of pretty crap at your job, you are also a racist p***ck, so sorry, we have to let you go.” Not going to happen. And if it does happen, it’ll be simply more grist to his “whitey is gettin’ me DOWN, man!” schtick.
Much easier to blame your utter crapness on other people, after all.
Disgusting, sorry sack of excrement.

Yeah, like that’s a measure of anything. Type “[insert nationality here] girls are easy” into Google, and it will come up.

It’s effin’ GOOGLE, for eff’s sake!

Surely no U.S. radio personality could ever be so uncouth.

He is lucky that he is in Taiwan. If he worked in the U.S. he would already have been out of a job.

Indeed–hounded from public life, like Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern.

actually only taiwanese girls has “taiwanese girls are easy” show up with auto suggest. it’s somewhat true but it’s a bottom feeding type of easy, which is gross. when two ugly people hook (both inside and outside!) up you want to look away.

taiwanese girls are easy shows up on auto suggest because it’s an often searched term.

It’s often searched because somebody said it shows up on google, keeping it high on the list. Simple as that.

From what I heard directly from someone who was there the day of Joseph Lin’s ‘bad day’ was that he was dating a Taiwanese girl who left him for a waiguoren. Joseph had a bit of a flip-out about that. He also had to take time off (forcibly or something akin to it). I think his comments were full of racist barbs but it had some history. That radio station has improved remarkably under his stewardship.

What do you mean by his stewardship? Does he have some role there beyond DJ?

Assistant Programme Director (see second post in this thread). As such he has done a good job in improving the station output. I recommend that he takes a management decision to replace the DJ in the 5pm slot with someone who knows what he or she is doing.

A foreigner stole his girlfriend so he went on an anti-foreigner rant on air!?! :roflmao: That is hilarious. What a tool.

I hope Taiwan doesn’t ever become more “inclusive”. I hate that term. It’s a load of PC bollocks. There are definitely ways in which Taiwan could do to improve, but I hope it doesn’t go down that PC route like many countries in the Anglo-sphere.

Any organisation that ever uses the word “inclusive” in a public statement automatically shows itself to be a wanker organisation.

I think he does a lot of the programming and whatnot. I’m not an expert. It’s just what I heard. As for Joseph, I don’t know him but as an on air personality he at least talks to the audience in a very candid way. I think that is a great strength. He doesn’t do it for me personally but at least he doesn’t come across as some cardboard cut out.

Another friend told me years ago that all the demographic testing showed that ICRT’s music was too geared to the US of old. They needed to become more relevant to an audience that was younger, had more modern tastes in music and was less anglo-centric. I saw that happen in my time in Taiwan. It greatly improved ICRT. My friend bailed when he got that info. although he was more a tech guy than on air personality. The testing rightly picked the trend toward Japanese, Chinese and even Korean pop. It also spoke for a demographic that wants English but can handle (even demand) smatterings of Chinese to remain engaged with the station. These days if you are a foreigner living in Taiwan, it is not like the old days of short-wave radio and picking up the BBC news with the antenna scrapping against the fly-wire. You just need flick on the Internet.

I have to say I like Joseph Lin better than that midday guy (I forgot his name) because he would play nothing but god awful music. It would be nice if the midday guy and Terry can switch times…

Now I just use Pandora with (really annoying) proxy.