Did anyone write a manual on how to date a Taiwanese lady?

[quote=“N1848N”]
I learned a lesson today: kitty has teeth and claws. It wasn’t me that was being disemboweled, it was one of her company’s vendors. She told me about it later on, what the dumb so and so did, about how mad she got, what she said and did. Went on for quite awhile about it. My initial reaction was wow, she trusts me enough now to let me see her angry. Then I thought, maybe this is her way of warning me, don’t even think about double crossing the kitty Mr. Big Nose.[/quote]

This is only the beginning… :smiley:
Taiwanese girls can get hella mean at people…personal experience… :astonished:

[quote=“mijo”][quote=“N1848N”]
I learned a lesson today: kitty has teeth and claws. It wasn’t me that was being disemboweled, it was one of her company’s vendors. She told me about it later on, what the dumb so and so did, about how mad she got, what she said and did. Went on for quite awhile about it. My initial reaction was wow, she trusts me enough now to let me see her angry. Then I thought, maybe this is her way of warning me, don’t even think about double crossing the kitty Mr. Big Nose.[/quote]

Taiwanese girls can get hella mean at people…personal experience… :astonished:[/quote]

And especially beware the Hello Kitty thats big enough of a pussycat to be alone by herself in a foreign land. She will be a tigress .

But she could be very lickable err I mean likable, likable thats what I mean .

Hmmm… I heard the same about giving Umbrellas (means byebye, too)… and scissors/knifes (means something like cut the friendship). Can anyone confirm?

Oh, and wasn’t there something about yellow flowers as well?

Hmmm… I heard the same about giving Umbrellas (means byebye, too)… and scissors/knifes (means something like cut the friendship). Can anyone confirm?

Oh, and wasn’t there something about yellow flowers as well?[/quote]

Yes the word for umbrella is close to the word for “to disperse” and yes scissors could mean to cut your friendship.

Dont know bout yellow flowers though.

Hi N1848N, I’m a Taiwanese girl (though only got back to Taiwan after 20 years abroad) and I hope I can offer some insights as to the general do’s and don’ts.

Re flowers: Go with the standard or the romantic. No sword lily or chrysanthemum (generally associated with funerals or graveyard visits, there are also others that I can’t recall, but are generally white). White flowers are not complete no-nos (like Calla Lily is well loved), but better be avoided just to be safe. Jasmine is usually associated with mothers, but not a disaster if given to a girl. Yellow roses, I’ve heard are associated with break-ups (i.e. when you disown a friend) so caution is advisable. Don’t know how much your lady will be bothered though. When I was abroad the western rules more or less applied in my mind, and I didn’t really care what flowers I got as long as I got some. :whistle:

Re gifts: I think the previous comments are on the ball. Watches are touchy (I know girls who believe that receiving watches means “your time together is on a count-down”), no clocks (in Chinese “giving clock” to a person has the same pronounciation as to meaning “walking the last mile (to death)” with someone), no umbrella (for the reason Tommy525 gave), no bowls (also reads like it’s “over” between you).

Re sending flowers at work: I know you’ve given that up, but FYI unlike in western society sending flowers at work in Taiwan is at times seen as a “marking the territory” (i.e. pissing on the fire hydrant) move, and may or may not be appropriate given the stage of your relationship and you’re lady’s personality (and work environment). But if this is abroad then you only need to care about her personality.

Re sad Taiwanese girl eating abroad: If she’s been abroad for a long time she may start enjoying decent western food like anybody else (as far as I’m concerned, I like home-made italian and german sausage (and BREAD) as much as I like rice and noodle). Otherwise, from where I was at, it’s quite surprising how difficult it is to find “Taiwanese” food. The best I got was having some set menu at bubble tea places, which is a good start to tap into the Taiwanese (and other) crowd locally (but you’d have some trouble finding bubble tea places if you’re in, say, Scandinavia).

Re sibling order/bossiness/other traits of Twn girls/how to get’em/leave’em: hummm… no (unbiased) comment. :ponder:

I would agree that the general rules of relationship should apply, if there is such a thing.

Don’t give shoes, either.

[quote]Re flowers: Go with the standard or the romantic. No sword lily or chrysanthemum (generally associated with funerals or graveyard visits, there are also others that I can’t recall, but are generally white). White flowers are not complete no-nos (like Calla Lily is well loved), but better be avoided just to be safe. Jasmine is usually associated with mothers, but not a disaster if given to a girl. Yellow roses, I’ve heard are associated with break-ups (i.e. when you disown a friend) so caution is advisable. Don’t know how much your lady will be bothered though. When I was abroad the western rules more or less applied in my mind, and I didn’t really care what flowers I got as long as I got some. :whistle:

Re gifts: I think the previous comments are on the ball. Watches are touchy (I know girls who believe that receiving watches means “your time together is on a count-down”), no clocks (in Chinese “giving clock” to a person has the same pronounciation as to meaning “walking the last mile (to death)” with someone), no umbrella (for the reason Tommy525 gave), no bowls (also reads like it’s “over” between you).

Re sending flowers at work: I know you’ve given that up, but FYI unlike in western society sending flowers at work in Taiwan is at times seen as a “marking the territory” (i.e. pissing on the fire hydrant) move, and may or may not be appropriate given the stage of your relationship and you’re lady’s personality (and work environment). But if this is abroad then you only need to care about her personality.

Re sad Taiwanese girl eating abroad: If she’s been abroad for a long time she may start enjoying decent western food like anybody else (as far as I’m concerned, I like home-made italian and german sausage (and BREAD) as much as I like rice and noodle). Otherwise, from where I was at, it’s quite surprising how difficult it is to find “Taiwanese” food. The best I got was having some set menu at bubble tea places, which is a good start to tap into the Taiwanese (and other) crowd locally (but you’d have some trouble finding bubble tea places if you’re in, say, Scandinavia).

Re sibling order/bossiness/other traits of Twn girls/how to get’em/leave’em: hummm… no (unbiased) comment. :ponder:

I would agree that the general rules of relationship should apply, if there is such a thing.[/quote]

All this for a little pussy…did I say pussy? I meant kitty, yes that’s what I meant - a little kitty

Ya and if she actually likes you, alls forgiven and it doesnt matter what you do or dont do, she will HUNT YOU, she will be the one calling you.

. Ya its true bout the shoes, never buy shoes for your lady, its cuz its a signal for them to run away !! True in my case tho, she ran off with someone else.

Hey they should have a rule against buying anything for em. SAves on cash. !!

No flowers, no shoes ,no umbrellas, no bowls. How bout nothing fashionable either? I guess in this day and age when women can make more then you. Everything should be equal. They want flowers? Send us some chocolates and icecream. They want some clothes? Buy us some tires, maybe a new scooter?

They want equal opportunity, then we want equal treatment .

We demand that they ask for our fone numbers and email addys OR ELSE ! And they should be the one to call first !! And …and… you get the picture.

[quote=“tommy525”]
And especially beware the Hello Kitty thats big enough of a pussycat to be alone by herself in a foreign land. She will be a tigress .

But she could be very lickable err I mean likable, likable thats what I mean .[/quote]

Tigresses also like to bite :fume: :stuck_out_tongue:

Either that’s sadly true, or we’ve all become seriously jaded.

[/quote]
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Well, personally, I eat vegetarians.

OP - Just a note. Carefully consider any and all personality traits and whether they’re compatible and/or acceptable to you. Magnify them by a factor of ten and ask that question again, 'cos that’s going to be the result in the long run…

[quote=“mijo”][quote=“N1848N”]

Taiwanese girls can get hella mean at people…personal experience… :astonished:[/quote]
Which is why I had a laugh after I told my grandmother I was getting married and she said something about chinese women being subservient…
:roflmao:

As to the gifts regarding clocks and watches etc… This is generally true, but I haven’t really found that anyone adheres to it. Never heard of a Taiwanese complaining about getting an expensive watch as a gift. In fact, the first gift my wife (then girlfriend) gave me for my birthday was a wristwatch.

I say, just go your way and do what you think is best.

edit

"Which is why I had a laugh after I told my grandmother I was getting married and she said something about Chinese women being subservient…
"

Your grannie doesnt know that Taiwanese girls are all in part aborigini and therefore part HEADHUNTERS.

Remember the Taiwanese Aborigini of old used to behead anyone found shipwrecked on the island.

I dont think Headhunters are big on diplomacy

Now heres an ad from a young lady here in the bay area out for a bite to eat (probably on you) and advertising as such. Asian girls NOT in Asia are not so coy about what they want no more are they??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Date this weekend? SAF - 26 (ingleside / SFSU / CCSF)

Reply to: (removed by me, but you can search for it yourself)
Date: 2009-02-26, 5:22PM PST

Hello CL!

So I was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen out there would like a date with a single asian female this weekend. I come to the conclusion that this would be a spontaneous thing to do since my daily routine has been getting boring. You know…going to work everyday, come home, eat, and then go to sleep only to go back to work the next morning. So I figure I’d do something different this weekend and find a date that wouldn’t mind going to dinner with me. I’m about 5’4, slim/fit, funny, outgoing, loves the outdoors, shopping, sports, and just hanging out. I enjoy good company and there’s nothing better than getting to know someone over some wine and food. I love good food! I actually went to Aqua not too long ago and had their tasting menu, was delicious! I don’t expect to go to a high end restaurant like that of course especially during the economic times we are going through today, but I don’t want to go to Burger King either. You pick the place and maybe we can find that connection we are both looking for.

If possible send a picture so I know you are for real. I don’t want some bot from CL sending me this random dating site information. I will return the favor of course, and have a good night!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No doubt that connection she is looking for would be more connectable if you paid the dinner tab, of course.

Maybe I can write in and suggest Wendy’s?? MY TREAT. :thumbsup:

One of my expat friends recently went away on vacation. He had been in a relationship with a lovelly lass. However, after being the head honcho of his company here in Taiwan, a strange attraction developed between himself and his secretary of several years. I warned him not to put his prick in the payroll… but no he didnt listen.

Anyways his GF got wind of his emotional distractions… and when he was away… smashed every thing possible in his apartment. I mean everything… to a pulp. All clothing ripped and cut to shreads… all furniture turned into nice little bits of sawdust. All electronic items broken and useless. Not even a working light switch.

He had to totally rebuild everything, down to the kitchen sink.

Pissed off Asian Tigers… more than a woman scorned.

Either that’s sadly true, or we’ve all become seriously jaded.[/quote]
Mr Bismarck, that may not be true for you and I, nor for some other posters here, but in my (jaded) personal experience, I’ve found it the norm.

[quote=“tommy525”]"Which is why I had a laugh after I told my grandmother I was getting married and she said something about Chinese women being subservient…
"

Your grannie doesnt know that [color=#FF0000]Taiwanese girls are all in part aborigini [/color]and therefore part HEADHUNTERS.

Remember the Taiwanese Aborigini of old used to behead anyone found shipwrecked on the island.

I don’t think Headhunters are big on diplomacy[/quote]
I think very few of them are part Aborigine. And even less are willing to admit it, if they are, for some strange reason.

Hmm… I think I can summarize most of the gift giving advice down to: “don’t give homophones of words which can have any kind of negative connotation.”

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think very few of them are part Aborigine. And even less are willing to admit it, if they are, for some strange reason.[/quote]

You’re right… mine is 100% Aboriginal, and quite happy to let people know she is.

You can come and vist our KUBA where women are not allowed in, and I can show you some of the skulls collected there, from some wayward wanderers, only 60 yards from the back of my house.

One of my expat friends recently went away on vacation. He had been in a relationship with a lovelly lass. However, after being the head honcho of his company here in Taiwan, a strange attraction developed between himself and his secretary of several years. I warned him not to put his prick in the payroll… but no he didnt listen.

Anyways his GF got wind of his emotional distractions… and when he was away… smashed every thing possible in his apartment. I mean everything… to a pulp. All clothing ripped and cut to shreads… all furniture turned into nice little bits of sawdust. All electronic items broken and useless. Not even a working light switch.

He had to totally rebuild everything, down to the kitchen sink.

Pissed off Asian Tigers… more than a woman scorned.[/quote]

So which woman did he end up with?

Guys and their secretaries…tsk tsk…such a common theme.