Did I hear "Elmer Fud" or "Fung"? politicians’ names

I was half listeniing to ICRT when I heard the name “Elmer Fung”. “Elmer?”, that has not been a popular name in states since most people left the farm. But, Elmer Fung? , don’t the words
“I own a mansion and a yahcht” imeadiately pop into your head.

Some English teacher of twenty years ago is probably laughing in his rocking chair everytime he hears that name in the news.

I just feel politicians who choose to go by English names should spend a little more time deciding which name or version of a name to use. Opinions?

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]But, Elmer Fung? , don’t the words
“I own a mansion and a yahcht” imeadiately pop into your head.[/quote]

When I hear “Elmer Fung” I immediately think “rapist scum”. But then again, that’s what he is. :idunno:

Click here for the Elmer Fung thread.

[quote=“Taffy”][quote=“Taiwan_Student”]But, Elmer Fung? , don’t the words

When I hear “Elmer Fung” I immediately think “rapist scum”. But then again, that’s what he is. :idunno:[/quote]

Silly names aside, is there somebody else who is coming out to say that Fung raped them? I mean, the original case involves: 1) a woman who has retracted the original accusation; 2) a medical exam of the alleged victim that found her hymen intact paired with the examining physician’s report that ruled out rape; 3) physical evidence that had some considerable inconsistencies with the account; 4) problems with the timeline; and 5) reasonable concerns about the handling of evidence. Rape’s a serious crime, and it both has serious underreporting and statistically higher numbers of false accusations.

Rape aside, I’ve met a policeman here called “Robin Hood Chen”

Who does he steal from and to whom does he give things?

[quote=“mofangongren”][quote=“Taffy”][quote=“Taiwan_Student”]But, Elmer Fung? , don’t the words

When I hear “Elmer Fung” I immediately think “rapist scum”. But then again, that’s what he is. :idunno:[/quote]

Silly names aside, is there somebody else who is coming out to say that Fung raped them? I mean, the original case involves: 1) a woman who has retracted the original accusation; 2) a medical exam of the alleged victim that found her hymen intact paired with the examining physician’s report that ruled out rape; 3) physical evidence that had some considerable inconsistencies with the account; 4) problems with the timeline; and 5) reasonable concerns about the handling of evidence. Rape’s a serious crime, and it both has serious underreporting and statistically higher numbers of false accusations.[/quote]

I agree with you on this one MFGR. While a majority of foreigners (myself included) disagree vehemently with Fung’s reunificationist political positions, I think it is pretty obvious that the current administration has an axe to grind with him (Fung was responsible for CSB going to jail). If there is a reasonble doubt regarding his guilt in raping the Pinoy maid, the conviction should be overturned IMHO.

double post

JAS – it’s precisely because Fung and his views are widely hated that I think it is important that his case is handled carefully. The rights in this society can be judged by the rights given to the weakest members – which is why I as an American in a white collar job am very much concerned with how Taiwan treats developing-world laborers, conducts human trafficking, etc. In looking at Fung’s case, I don’t care so much one way or the other how the case comes out so long as it is handled in a just and fair way that gives him an opportunity to defend himself. Kangaroo justice was given to way too many people in this country during the white terror period, and the best way for the Pan-Greens to validate themselves is to not do a tit-for-tat on this trial.