Did I pay too much for these scooters?

Its called “baofei” in the old Chinee lingo. You get around NT$400 per scoot (I’m probably wrong about the figure, but its LOW) and youu can’t get it unless the tax is up to date, all tickets settled, etc. If they’re old with a dodgy provenance there’s a very good chance they’ll tell you there’s 10 years tax outstanding and NT$100,000-worth of unpaid tickets. This is why people take the plates off, destroy them and leave the bikes somewhere to rot.

I would have to agree with Sandman.

Save yourself problems. Just ditch them. You wouldn’t want to transfer problems to someone else/newbee as someone has done to you.

If it was me, I would wipe off my prints and then set fire to them. Ha ha ha (old habits coming back).

[quote=“iix23”]I would have to agree with Sandman.

Save yourself problems. Just ditch them. You wouldn’t want to transfer problems to someone else/newbee as someone has done to you.

If it was me, I would wipe off my prints and then set fire to them. Ha ha ha (old habits coming back).[/quote]

OK, thanks for the advice guys, it has been much appreciated. I kinda thought this would be the response as some mechanics said similar things.

I’ve spoken to my friend who sold me them and his argument is, that even though he got the bike for free, he spent a lot of money on the bike doing it up, putting new parts on it like an engine. He basically said that by doing this it therefore increased the price of the scooter so in order to try and recoup the money he charged 10,000 NT for the 125 scooter. This was his argument, I think it is flawed somewhat…you guys agree?

Its the standard arsehole response. Some people just don’t GET that an old junker is still an old junker whether you fix it up or not. Unfortunately, some people sometimes believe them. As you’ve found out from your mechanic, though, those who know better will pass on such “bargains.”
Live and learn.

[quote=“sandman”]Its the standard arsehole response. Some people just don’t GET that an old junker is still an old junker whether you fix it up or not. Unfortunately, some people sometimes believe them. As you’ve found out from your mechanic, though, those who know better will pass on such “bargains.”
Live and learn.[/quote]

Not that I like to agree with “the sandman” but he is right. We have been living here for a long time and I am sure “The sandman” as much as I made mistakes such as yours. To be very honest I don’t even buy a bike without papers for track (racing) purpose. If you are willing to spend money on yours, it’s ok. But if you want to sale them to some newbees like someone has done to you??? … Your reputation on the island will not carry you far. If you don’t plan on staying long… go a head… You’ll just be one more moron on the island.

actually, the one with the plate would still be quite usefull. There are alot of people who aren’t legal themselves and/or are staying here short term and are unable to transfer a scooter to thier name legally. The most cops will check is the name its registered to, and as you just look confused and mumble on in english about how your friend lent it to you :wink: they’ll just give up and maybe even give you a “welcome to taiwan” in order to practice thier english. Besides, theres still plenty of uses for paperless scooters… peasant cart conversion, road vigilante, ghost rider :sunglasses:

More than once. I’m a slow learner. :blush: I remember a Vespa, a Honda, and at least one of those 135cc 2-stroke crotch rockets. All complete lemons that should never have been sold. All previously owned by foreigners who’d “spent a bunch of money on them.” :unamused:

Remember, bikes are like cars – they’re depreciation machines, no matter HOW much you spend. If you have a fucked-up old bike worth 1,500 and spend 5,000 on a reconditioned engine, guess what? It’s STILL worth precisely 1,500 to everybody except you. You put money into them like that, you simply say goodbye to the cash. Or you attempt to rip off some sucker further down the line.

Doing it to a friend, though? Man, that’s LOW! :laughing:

Any idea on a number to call to get a scooter taken away? I’ve got one I haven’t used in a year that is unfortunately in my name (so I can’t burn it) and the taxes keep accumulating on it. I don’t think I can even renew my license until those friggin’ taxes are paid.

Any idea on a number to call to get a scooter taken away? I’ve got one I haven’t used in a year that is unfortunately in my name (so I can’t burn it) and the taxes keep accumulating on it. I don’t think I can even renew my license until those friggin’ taxes are paid.[/quote]
Call 1999. They’ll sort you out.