Difficult for Canadians to go from Visitor to Resident visa?

I just got back from Canada. While I was applying for a 60 day visitor visa to come back, the person in the visa office told me that Canadians have to leave the country to apply for a resident visa now.

I think she might be full of it but I was wondering if anyone has heard about this?

I did a visa run to Macau in September. The guy there told me I couldn’t turn my visitor’s visa into a residence visa while in Taiwan and that I would have to come back to Macau.

I thought he was just giving me the gears at the time, but now you’ve been told this…

How the hell do they expect people to get work here?

I mean, are you expected to find a job before you come here and not even get the chance to meet your employer? :loco:

Maybe to Teacher market is oversaturated and they are trying to disuade people from coming? Dunno?

I hate to break the bad news but that’s how it’s supposed to theoretically work. You want to work in Taiwan? Get that paperwork done beforehand so you’re entering on the visa you’re supposed to.

That’s not how it works; that’s not reality, except in law only :laughing:

Oh, and it’s not just Canadians, though maybe they might have it out for Canadians due to recent newsworthy events. :idunno:

When did this happen? Now we have two people saying you need to leave the country and fly back to get an ARC…

Can anyone else confirm this happening to them?

What the heck is going on in this country!?

Isn’t that the way it is almost everywhere?

I am applying for a job at a new school and I told them about this. They called the CLA and asked them about it and they said that you can still change over from a tourist to a resident visa but that it will change in the not so distant future.

Not really of much help. But at least we know that now you can but soon you won’t be able to do it.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]I am applying for a job at a new school and I told them about this. They called the CLA and asked them about it and they said that you can still change over from a tourist to a resident visa but that it will change in the not so distant future.

Not really of much help. But at least we know that now you can but soon you won’t be able to do it.[/quote]

I had a call at the office today and it seems that the changes are happening as we are typing :astonished: :astonished: :blush: :blush:

That’s how it was before than they changed it and now they go back to the old system … morons? bureaucrats?

About how long ago was this?

It’s a communist plot to make us all go to Hong Kong and come back to Taiwan infected with bird flu.