Difficulty remembering the Chinese characters

Pretty much all of mainland Chinese Mandarin does.

I think old people in Taiwan might say åÆ口

@Gain

edit. Was a question, as dont know

A bit maybe.

I donā€™t think itā€™s necessary old people. I think itā€™s just more ā€¦ literary.

1 Like

To my ears, in Standard Taiwanese Mandarin, č³‡ is pronounced as tsÉØ while ēŸ„ is pronounced as tsÉØĢž. Although I think the ÉØ is halfway between Front and Central, and the ÉØĢž is more like ÉØ but slightly rounded.

So the distinction is mostly made by the vowels in Taiwan, and the tongue position is the same for most people. I think the vowels are also different in Putonghua, but the main difference is the initial sound in China.

I think youā€™re right. Iā€™ve noticed they seem to have their own way of curling the tongue that doesnā€™t actually involve any kind of tongue-curling at all.

My mother who grew up in Taiwan always gets frustrated and says ā€œcanā€™t you tell Iā€™m curling my tongue?ā€ when she clearly isnā€™t.

We just slightly round our ÉØ at its normal central position. No way near as round as Ź‰, just slightly rounded.

By the way, there were more refugees from Zhejiang and Suzhou in the 1949 exile, and they also were often get put into leadership roles as CKS was from Zhejiang. So Taiwanese Mandarin actually inherited a lot of the consonants pronouncing habits from them.

You mean instead of a back position?

No, I donā€™t think itā€™s back. If it is, it is definitely nowhere as rounded and back as ÉÆ or u. Iā€™m no expert on the subject though.

Wait, youā€™re talking about the consonant. So are you talking about the shape of your lips or your tongue when you say ā€œroundedā€?

Iā€™m saying that the air stopping part of č³‡ and ēŸ„ are the same. So technically, the consonants are the same. By rounded, I mean the shape of the lips are different. The vowel sound of ēŸ„ is slightly more back and more rounded than the vowel sound of č³‡.

By ā€œback and roundedā€ do you mean like when you say :grimacing: ā€œcheeeeseā€?

If you ā€œeeeeeā€ you mean the ā€œweeeeeeā€ sound we make when we are on a roller coaster, then no, thatā€™s more front, thatā€™s more like the i sound in åŸŗ.

Right. I guess that would be your cheeks (or the sides of your lips) being pulled back. I just donā€™t understand how your lips can be ā€œbackā€.

To me, my lips can only be wide open (as in ā€œah!ā€), rounded and opened (as in O), rounded and more closed (as in ā€œwoo!ā€), slightly pulled back (as in ā€œeh?ā€) or pulled back even more (as in ā€œweeeeee!ā€).

Oh, rounded describes the shape of the lips. Back I think describes the position of the tongue.

Ah ok. So let me go back and read everything you said againā€¦

Ok, I think I understand you now.

In other words, a China ēŸ„ is a more exaggerated tongue-curl with accompanying exaggerated rounding of the lips, whereas a Taiwan ēŸ„ is less exaggerated in both lip rounding and tongue curling?

(Forgetting about č³‡ for now, which sounds the same whether youā€™re Chinese or Taiwanese)

Yes. I didnā€™t think that being more back is curling the tongue, but now I think about it, it does curl it a little. But instead of doing ɹĢ© and actively put your tongue in a curl, which is similar to the American r, being more back is like depressing the center section of your tongue, leaving the tip hanging up.

Haha thatā€™s why itā€™s called ę²čˆŒéŸ³. Itā€™s like the tongue-curl when you pronounce the American ā€œrā€ sound.

Ah ok I know exactly what you mean now (I think). That would explain why ēŸ„ and č³‡ sound similar when a Taiwanese says it.

Def looks like schlong and ball sack. Gives new meaning to the phrase, ā€œI :heart: you.ā€

3 Likes

The actual character for the goods is äø”. Itā€™s why itā€™s a part of ē„–.

You know, some people want to say itā€™s a vessel, or stone tablet for worship. Those people never saw it written like this.

2 Likes