Digital Cable vs. Satelite TV

I am in the process of upgrading our TV with some additional programming. I am mainly looking for some english programs of course, possibly german TV too. Anyway, at the moment we have analog cable and I am thinking about
upgrading to digital. But there is probably also the option of satelite TV. Does anyone have any experiences with either of them? Maybe even both? What is your recommendation. I am not even sure if our balcony is facing the right direction.

The digital cable market is very immature in Taiwan at the moment. You should check with your cable company to see if it is actually available. The digital cable is usually fairly close to the same as the analog lineup, so if you are looking for foreign programming, satellite is your best bet. Check out this topic for more on satellite options.

[quote=“ratlung”]I am in the process of upgrading our TV with some additional programming. I am mainly looking for some English programs of course, possibly German TV too. Anyway, at the moment we have analog cable and I am thinking about
upgrading to digital. But there is probably also the option of satelite TV. Does anyone have any experiences with either of them? Maybe even both? What is your recommendation. I am not even sure if our balcony is facing the right direction.[/quote]

Satellite TV is digital. There is a whole satellite TV thread in arts and entertainment.

DW you can get along with your satellite TV. Most dishes are mounted on the rooftop, unless you either don’t have one or you’re not allowed to put a dish on your apartment building rooftop. Permission is usuually given if the request is made the right way.

Thanks for the info, could you post some links to possible satelite companies and their available programming. It can also be in chinese, and I will review it with my roommate.

jlick is right when he says the digital market is young here. We have it and there have been channels coming and going since we had it installed. Fortunately, the channels that are coming and going are not the one’s we subscribed to it for. They do have American programming on Star World and German on DW (Deutsch Weil?). Now, if they could only add a sports channel or two…

I also got the impression that the digital TV market is not well developed yet. Our cable company does not seem to know/post what channels they offer on digital cable. I only see the paid channels on their webpage.

I think before I spend money for a digital receiver/dbox for cable, and I still have to pay increased monthly fees for the extra channels, I might as well spend the money on satelite equipment and get the programming for free.

By the way, do the satelites broadcast in DVB-S standard? Will I be able to use a Technotrend card to get the broadcast into my PC?

I am not much of a Sports watching guy, I rather do it myselft, although I do enjoy some F1 races, and maybe the occasional soccer game. I would love to be able to watch some shows that I got familiar with. A SciFi Channel would be great, and the recent Enterprise episodes. DW would be great and maybe USA Network, or UPN and WB. But I did not spot any of these in the channel listings, and I am not able to read the TV schedule in chinese anyway. Anybody knows a TV schedule in english? Maybe I might find my favorite shows on analog cable programming.

Sorry all English links, and satellites with English programming.

All the links are here: The three main packages…

ubctv.com/default.aspx?

dream.com.ph/main.asp?p=programming

dstv.com/products/default.as … ellist&g=1

Well you would be joining many others in doing so.

Satellite, thanks for the info, I will have to go through it with my roommate and discuss our next steps.

It’s a relatively easy decision, either you pay for TV or you install a cracked box and watch pay channels for free. It still amuses me that Forumosa with all the so called crack down on pirating not only condones TV pirating but actively encourages it with banner ads. A simple Google search on Dream TV cracks will reveal what I am referring to. This has been highligthted to Forumosa moderators before with no action taken, I guess the next step is to email Dream TV…

it took you 7 months to dig this thread up just to say that? :s

Must be he went out on a night on the piss, came home at 1:50am and turned on his crap cable TV hehehe… so he has to rant and rave about something.

Time to kill this thread and get on with life… erh… I mean watching 5 episodes of LOST back to back on Dream TV :raspberry: :raspberry:

7months, 7 years - doesn’t make it any less illegal. Just somewhat surprised to see Forumosa banner adds promoting illegal activity, isn’t there a rule about that somewhere?

I believe Jim provides a Satellite TV hardware installation service. Where does the banner say he provides cracked or hacked hardware?

[quote=SuperS54 7months, 7 years - doesn’t make it any less illegal. Just somewhat surprised to see Forumosa banner adds promoting illegal activity, isn’t there a rule about that somewhere? ]

Perhaps you should try to read the laws in Taiwan first before spouting off about people being “Illegal Satellite Installers”

As of now, foreign channels being rebroadcast in Taiwan are not subject to the 1978 law ( The 1978 Law on Television and Radio (guangbo dianshi fa) nor to its 1993 amendments, particularly in the matter of the quotas for advertising and programming.

The May 1993 detailed regulations of application of the Law on Radio and Television (guangbo dianshi fa shixing xizi)

Private dish aerials, which have been permitted in Taiwan since 1988, can receive all the Asian satellite services.

Perhaps you might do a google search of your own first SS54 :smiley: :smiley:

cefc.com.hk/uk/pc/articles/a … ligne=1307

[quote]Perhaps you should try to read the laws in Taiwan first before spouting off about people being “Illegal Satellite Installers”
[/quote]

The installation of a satellite dish may be legal, but the ‘free’ packages you offer are not. There is a whole thread of hacked codes on here somewhere. Are you saying that you don’t install systems that allow people to watch content they have not for, and instruct them on how to do it?

People watch what they want to watch. The good things in life are free, some things you just have to pay for.

There are many free packages that can be accessed for free… thats why it’s called free to air viewing… really :smiley: :smiley: ABC oz BBC Dw TV5 TVE Star Sports etc are all available from satellites free to air… there are many satellites where programming is viewable for free… I have several hundred free channels at home… care to come and see? I also have scores of channels that I have Original pay cards for…

What is legal in one country may well be illegal in another, and vice versa. So before you go off again… watching foreign satellite TV in Taiwan is legal. :smiley: :smiley:

Are you saying that you don’t install systems that allow people to watch content they have not paid for, and instruct them on how to do it?

What is your problem SuperS54? Your questions (actually accusations) have been answered. You’re just going around in circles now. :loco:

He’s already provided enough information for you to go, look this up, and see that it is legal. It’s certainly of dubious ethicality, but the legality is covered.