Digital Cameras! Enough Already!

I am so fucking sick of everyone taking useless, asinine pictures all the time I am about to smash someone’s camera.

This is not aimed at people who are thoughtful with their photography, I am talking about the morons who must disrupt my fun on a Saturday evening every 10 minutes so I can pose with someone for a stupid goddamn picture. “Oh wait, you looked away, lets take it again…did the flash go off? Just a sec…” “Can’t you see I am trying to have a chat and a drink here you dozey cunt, get the fuck outta here with your 15 snapshots an hour photo BS.”

Seriously.

Then comes Monday. Deuce Dropper was tagged in 57 photos.

Guess what, 95% of them are in the same goddamn place with the same fucking people. Luckily for me I am mixed in with a few ke-ai shots of your nephew from earlier in the day (same as last week), a bunch of you and your friends holding up two fingers like a bunch of nonces (can we finally quit this habit? seriously, nothing makes me hate someone quicker), a couple with you standing in front of some barely recognizable place (“very famous in Taiwan”) in a frozen stance like a pre-teen about to wet him/herself, and about five hundred shots of lame ass food. Oh look, it is the salad app from the Japanese restaurant, a cherry tomato, lettuce AND corn nibblets! “Better take a shot from every possible angle. Oh yeah, put a coin down so the viewer can see it to scale.” “Oh wow! is that a burger? From The Diner no less!!! Quick capture this special moment in time so we can pass it down to our grand children and let them know what a special day it was. Don’t forget to snap a shot of their fresh squeezed OJ! Did I bring my tripod? Damn! I knew I forgot something.”

The Deuce has had it up to here (hand right about at forehead height) with this digital camera chicanery. I long for the days of photo development, where people took thoughtful photos because they only had twenty seven shots in a roll. Now, fuckin hell, it is a total shit storm.

So what is the etiquette? Do allow people to be extremely rude with their photography and just deal with it or do I tell them to fuck off and leave them confusingly upset?

I get ya. I have learned to just ignore them. Which results in ruining their shot btw. Not that I intend to but I send the message that their photography is not going to get in the way of my evening and when they see that I’m not going to cooperate (very pleasantly mind you), they in turn stop bothering me.

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chicanery

Maybe just stick to the time tested bullshit. :wink:

Edit:

I’ll toss a 24 frame roll of Tri-X 400 into my F3 from time to time, and even then I still usually have a digicam to take a digital duplicate of the film composition for convenience (get a timestamp, geolocation, basic exposure sample and file before the negative is scanned). Digital is handy!

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]I am so fucking sick of everyone taking useless, asinine pictures all the time I am about to smash someone’s camera.

This is not aimed at people who are thoughtful with their photography, I am talking about the morons who must disrupt my fun on a Saturday evening every 10 minutes so I can pose with someone for a stupid goddamn picture. “Oh wait, you looked away, lets take it again…did the flash go off? Just a sec…” “Can’t you see I am trying to have a chat and a drink here you dozey cunt, get the fuck outta here with your 15 snapshots an hour photo BS.”

Seriously.

Guess what, 95% of them are in the same goddamn place with the same fucking people. Luckily for me I am mixed in with a few ke-ai shots of your nephew from earlier in the day (same as last week), a bunch of you and your friends holding up two fingers like a bunch of nonces (can we finally quit this habit? seriously, nothing makes me hate someone quicker), a couple with you standing in front of some barely recognizable place (“very famous in Taiwan”) in a frozen stance like a pre-teen about to wet him/herself, and about five hundred shots of lame ass food. Oh look, it is the salad app from the Japanese restaurant, a cherry tomato, lettuce AND corn nibblets! “Better take a shot from every possible angle. Oh yeah, put a coin down so the viewer can see it to scale.” “Oh wow! is that a burger? From The Diner no less!!! Quick capture this special moment in time so we can pass it down to our grand children and let them know what a special day it was. Don’t forget to snap a shot of their fresh squeezed OJ! Did I bring my tripod? Damn! I knew I forgot something.”

The Deuce has had it up to here (hand right about at forehead height) with this digital camera chicanery. I long for the days of photo development, where people took thoughtful photos because they only had twenty seven shots in a roll. Now, fuckin hell, it is a total shit storm.

So what is the etiquette? Do allow people to be extremely rude with their photography and just deal with it or do I tell them to fuck off and leave them confusingly upset?[/quote]

:notworthy: I agree, but I’m not sure what you can do except make snide remarks. When I was at the Louvre, I said loudly to the crowd of people snapping away at the Mona Lisa: “It’s a good thing you lot are getting pictures of that; otherwise nobody would ever know what it looks like.”

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chicanery

Maybe just stick to the time tested bullshit. :wink:

[/quote]

maybe you shouldn’t work in your off hours. BTW I ain’t ponying up 800NT for this little lesson here.

[quote=“Poagao”]
:notworthy: I agree, but I’m not sure what you can do except make snide remarks. When I was at the Louvre, I said loudly to the crowd of people snapping away at the Mona Lisa: “It’s a good thing you lot are getting pictures of that; otherwise nobody would ever know what it looks like.”[/quote]

that is the thing…what the fuck can we do? we are held hostage by these simpletons and their snapshotitis.

fuck them I say, anarchy for the ROC, its coming some time may-be, a giver of time stop a traffic line…

Deuce,

I agree with you completely. Excellent rant. I’ve solved this issue for myself. I do not allow anyone to take my photograph, ever. When they whip that camera out, I’m out of the picture, or I cover my face, or look away, or simply leave the room. Everyone who knows me doesn’t even bother asking anymore if I will take a picture or join the rest of the sheep in the picture. Whenever I’ve been out on town and a TV news crew wants to interview me or ask my opinion, I simply turn and walk away. I actually walked out of a fancy restaurant when a news crew walked in and started filming all of the diners without their permission in persuit of their news story. A little extreme? Perhaps. But I’ve had it “up to here” with that crap, too. :fume:

I like it when people take my picture. Because I’m handsome. You lot are just sensitive because you’re ugly.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]Deuce,

I agree with you completely. Excellent rant. I’ve solved this issue for myself. I do not allow anyone to take my photograph, ever. When they whip that camera out, I’m out of the picture, or I cover my face, or look away, or simply leave the room. Everyone who knows me doesn’t even bother asking anymore if I will take a picture or join the rest of the sheep in the picture. Whenever I’ve been out on town and a TV news crew wants to interview me or ask my opinion, I simply turn and walk away. I actually walked out of a fancy restaurant when a news crew walked in and started filming all of the diners without their permission in persuit of their news story. A little extreme? Perhaps. But I’ve had it “up to here” with that crap, too. :fume:[/quote]

Sounds more like it has become more trouble for you than for the rest of us.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]Deuce,

I agree with you completely. Excellent rant. I’ve solved this issue for myself. I do not allow anyone to take my photograph, ever. When they whip that camera out, I’m out of the picture, or I cover my face, or look away, or simply leave the room. Everyone who knows me doesn’t even bother asking anymore if I will take a picture or join the rest of the sheep in the picture. Whenever I’ve been out on town and a TV news crew wants to interview me or ask my opinion, I simply turn and walk away. I actually walked out of a fancy restaurant when a news crew walked in and started filming all of the diners without their permission in persuit of their news story. A little extreme? Perhaps. But I’ve had it “up to here” with that crap, too. :fume:[/quote]

You do know that they don’t actually need permission, don’t you?

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]Deuce,

You do know that they don’t actually need permission, don’t you?[/quote]

Thats fine dining ettiquette though, when I was waiting on in a fine restaurant in manchester, when we had media events as part of the meet and greet we stated that a film/camera crew would be in that evening and we would minimize any inconvenience caused. ie, if that isnt your wife then maybe you should come back another time :wink:

What exactly is the problem? Culturally asian people like to take lots of photos of food. They show it to the family and explain how good it is, especially if it is food that mum would not normally take at home. The same thing with pictures of you “whitey” - face it you are unusual and a curiosity so they want to take your photo.

Now if your fellow foreign friends are taking too many pictures I would (and do) simply confiscate the camera quoting the often used phrase “what goes on on tour, stays on tour”. Cameras are simply not welcome when I am out getting drunk - and those that have seen the photos of me in full make up at a forumosa HH will understand why.

Its juts not a big enough deal to rant about though surely? I sometimes get a little disturbed by people taking my son of for family shots with complete strangers but again its cultural, it makes them happy and doesn’t hurt him or us - live and let live my friends.

You do know that they don’t actually need permission, don’t you?[/quote]
I’ve walked out of a restaurant before, too. Some fancy sushi joint up in town. It was either that or start bumping and grinding and fingering my nipples. I don’t give a fuck if they “need my permission” or not. By the same token, I don’t need permission to ruin their shot. Its called common courtesy. If I don’t want to be filmed or photographed, then fire your shots at your peril.

I agree with you completely. Excellent rant. I’ve solved this issue for myself. I do not allow anyone to take my photograph, ever. When they whip that camera out, I’m out of the picture, or I cover my face, or look away, or simply leave the room. Everyone who knows me doesn’t even bother asking anymore if I will take a picture or join the rest of the sheep in the picture. Whenever I’ve been out on town and a TV news crew wants to interview me or ask my opinion, I simply turn and walk away. I actually walked out of a fancy restaurant when a news crew walked in and started filming all of the diners without their permission in persuit of their news story. A little extreme? Perhaps. But I’ve had it “up to here” with that crap, too. :fume:[/quote]You do know that they don’t actually need permission, don’t you?[/quote]Of course they don’t need my permission. If I’m in a public place without the reasonable expectation of privacy, a photograph is fair game. However, I hate it and will avoid it by not agreeing to posing for pictures. I’m not a zoo exhibit and I don’t like my picture taken, especially by Taiwanese who just want to take a picture with a foreigner. I’m a person, not a novelty. If a news camera team is anywhere around, they always gravitate to the foreigner in the crowd to get their take on the issue at hand. As if I would have any better insight into the situation versus a Taiwanese! Humph!

Years ago, I was in a hair salon in Hsi-Men Ting getting my hair cut. Jackie Wu and his horde were filming one of his lame TV variety specials and he and the camera crew came cruising into the salon and the second they saw me sitting in a chair, one of the airhead models, pointed and screamed “Foreigner!”. They came over to me, surrounded me with lights, cameras, and microphones and started firing questions at me in broken English. Absolutely terrible experience.

itakitez and sandman

I’m not condoning it (and wouldn’t personally do it), and yes, you are free to do what you want in ruining the shot. It is common courtesy or etiquette to ask first. But as long as the restaurant owner/manager okays it, the news crew are not doing anything wrong. Any complaints should be directed at the restaurant for allowing it not the news guys.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“cfimages”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]Deuce,

I agree with you completely. Excellent rant. I’ve solved this issue for myself. I do not allow anyone to take my photograph, ever. When they whip that camera out, I’m out of the picture, or I cover my face, or look away, or simply leave the room. Everyone who knows me doesn’t even bother asking anymore if I will take a picture or join the rest of the sheep in the picture. Whenever I’ve been out on town and a TV news crew wants to interview me or ask my opinion, I simply turn and walk away. I actually walked out of a fancy restaurant when a news crew walked in and started filming all of the diners without their permission in persuit of their news story. A little extreme? Perhaps. But I’ve had it “up to here” with that crap, too. :fume:[/quote]You do know that they don’t actually need permission, don’t you?[/quote]Of course they don’t need my permission. If I’m in a public place without the reasonable expectation of privacy, a photograph is fair game. However, I hate it and will avoid it by not agreeing to posing for pictures. I’m not a zoo exhibit and I don’t like my picture taken, especially by Taiwanese who just want to take a picture with a foreigner. I’m a person, not a novelty. If a news camera team is anywhere around, they always gravitate to the foreigner in the crowd to get their take on the issue at hand. As if I would have any better insight into the situation versus a Taiwanese! Hmm!

Years ago, I was in a hair salon in Hsi-Men Ting getting my hair cut. Jackie Wu and his horde were filming one of his lame TV vairety specials and he and the camera crew came cruising into the salon and the second they saw me sitting in a chair, one of the airhead models, pointed and screamed “Foreigner!”. They came over to me, surrounded me with lights, cameras, and microphones and started firing questions at me in broken English. Absolutely terrible experience.[/quote]

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that the news crew needed your permission first. My bad.

This. I think the Asian photo thing is strange, but I have learned to deal with it. I even discussed it with the locals I hang out with and now they agree to ask if they can start taking photos. It isn’t the photos I mind, so much as feeling like I am being constantly on camera.

come on… you are in Taiwan… you ARE BEING WATCHED !! :smiley:

I just don’t like constantly being on camera because you are always thinking that there could be a permanent record of your actions. Just being watched is ok though. If a Taiwanese walked into rural southern Maryland I would expect I would be watching them too.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]I am so fucking sick of everyone taking useless, asinine pictures all the time I am about to smash someone’s camera.

Seriously.

So what is the etiquette? Do allow people to be extremely rude with their photography and just deal with it or do I tell them to fuck off and leave them confusingly upset?[/quote]

Excellent rant Deuce. I would have given it an A+ but I’m afraid that you’ll have to settle for a B. You referred to yourself in the third person which is an expression of the very same narcissism that lies behind the endless snapping. I’m guessing that you may have picked this habit up from watching “The Karate Kid” (If memory serves me right, Mr Miyagi sometimes referred to himself as “Miyagi.”