Digital SLR - Where to buy?

Thinking about buying one of these: Canon EOS 40D

Does anyone have one?

Where is the best place to buy one in Taipei?

Anybody willing to spend a few hours teaching a complete novice how to use a new toy. Lunch provided.

Thanks in advance

The best place would be probably on Boai Road (where Kaifeng and Hankou cross), there are lot’s of camera shops around that area.

I’ve got one, but I bought it in Taichung.

I also have a 20D which I bought in Taipei. Try Horng Chang Photo at 28 Bo-ai Rd. Those guys are the best I’ve found in that area. There’s another store on Hankou Rd (or maybe Kaifeng St) that’s good. I don’t know the name, but they have a Leica sign outside.

Seconded the Bo’ai Rd recommendation. If you have a particular model in mind, you can just go up and down the street asking the price. You should ask if it’s 公司貨 (gongsi huo; that is, coming with a warranty) or 水貨 (shuihuo; gray market, cheaper but without a warranty. The 2 DSLRs I’ve bought have been been shuihuo and functioned well beyond their warranty).

If you’re a complete novice, I would recommend going for the 450D instead of the 40D unless you’ve handled the 450D and really can’t stand the ergonomics. Picture quality would be the same and the 450D is a bit cheaper. Also, I would go with the new 18-55IS kit lens and NOT the 17-85IS kit lens.

I’m always up for teaching people how to use their camera, but my price is a bit higher: I require a large beer from Cafe Odeon.

You can also try tw.bid.yahoo.com

… and don’t forget, there are more DSLR brands than just Canon that can suite your style and handling ergonomics …

Thanks guys, I’ll try and get down Bo ai road later today. Is that near the computer market?
I’ll also check out the 450D.

alidarbac, I’ll send you a pm when I get the new toy.

Thanks

Nope, it’s near Taipei Main Station / the old North Gate (Beimen).

I’ve heard that with luxury cars, if your shuihuo breaks, no one will repair it for you. Is this the same with the cameras, or is it just that you have no warranty, so you have to pay for the repairs?

Maybe authorized dealers will not repair your car then even you offer to pay, but certainly there must be some (independent) repair shops that will do so.

Same with the cars I presume, official outlets will likely refuse while independent shops will happily take your money. Not sure though what happens if the camera needs to be send back to the manufacturer, but since it’s done against payment I believe they might fix it.

That reminds me, Sony in Taipei fixed my overseas out-of-warranty DV cam for free (no repair was needed they said). :thumbsup:

I’ve heard that with luxury cars, if your shuihuo breaks, no one will repair it for you. Is this the same with the cameras, or is it just that you have no warranty, so you have to pay for the repairs?[/quote]

With cameras, I think it depends on the company. The guy who usually sells me stuff says shuihuo has no local guarantee/free repair. He says if you live abroad, it doesn’t matter if you buy shuihuo, but if you live here, it is better to but gonzuhuo -guarantee and repair wise. He said some stores wil not receive teh shuihuo for repairs, while others will just charge. That si his experience with Canon and Nikon.

Thanks, Icon – that’s valuable.

Anyone seen a Nikon D40 for sale here?

You mean used? I got a D80 to sell (body only, I upgraded to a D90). PM me if interested.
The D40 is a bit old. What came after this is the D40X, D60, D3000 and D5000 in the Nikon amateur range…
I can recommend the camera sellers of the second floor in Nova in Hsinchu (there’s one store next to Transcend right by the stairs). They have a xiao jie which speaks very well english. I bought all my stuff there (a lot of stuff).