Dim Sum

Where can one find good dim sum in Taipei?

I enjoyed the Brother Hotel a lot the last few times I went. If I were going tomorrow that’s where I’d head. The one in the Regent was my favorite, so of course they closed it.

I knew some HK people whe swore by the one on the SW corner of Xinyi and Xinsheng S Rd, on the second floor of the building with the supermarket in the basement, can’t recall the name. We went once but didn’t care for it too much, go figure.

There’s a new food stall on Kungkuan night market selling Dim Sum (first time I saw that on a night market, but I’m fairly new to Taiwan). I haven’t really tried yet, but it sure looks great, and the lady is very friendly.

Iris

Thanks for the tip Daltongang and Iris. I’ll check it out.

But I think I’ll skip the dim sum on the night market streets. Weak stomach…

It is quite amazing that Taipei has such slim pickens when it comes to dim sum.
Mainly, you can find dim sum places in almost all of the 3 or 4 star hotels in town, But it’s expensive!
When I lived in San Francisco, I ate delicious dim sum for brunch every Sunday on the cheap. Like US $10 for two people.
Here, you’re lucky to get good dim sum for five times that.
Weird.

We often go to Ambassador Hotel (?ͪ

…any more places? i am looking for a place that has good dimsum as well as a nice selection of stuff. I don’t care if it’s expensive. Hopefully, the place also push the carts around, but I’m okay with ordering from a menu. My main concern is selection and quality. Thanks.

twit

We always go to a place on HsinYi Rd on the second floor next door to and above a Kentucky Gold Chicken outlet, at the intersection of ShinSheng Rd and Hsinyi Rd (next to the northeast corner of Taan park). It’s pretty good, but they don’t always have carts. Sometimes one has to order dim sum from the menu. My Taiwanese wife likes that place, as did her brother and mother, and my brother and mother.

What Kentucky Gold Chicken outlet? You mean Ding Gua Gua? 'cause I live right around there and I’m hanging out for a good feed of dimsum…

I like that Citystar place on the corner of Dun Hua and Chunghsiao for dim sum, especially that potato pie thing with the cabbage and prawns.

Bob

Parents on DunHua S. Rd (just north of ZhongXiao DunHua MRT ext # 9) is another place where you can get Cantonese style dim sum. Pricey and passable.

I think that Kentucky Gold is dead now. It’s in the same building as the Songqing supermarket.

Liufu Kezhan hotel on songjiang and changchun was pretty good last time we went and cheap.

There used to be a Kentucky Gold there, maybe it’s gone.

Go to the intersection of Shinsheng and Hsinyi (directly across the street from the northeast corner of Taan park; a Net store will be just South of you on ShinSheng Rd, and a car dealer is diagonally across the intersection from you). Start walking down Hsinyi Rd away from Taan Park. It’s only about 3 or 4 doors down. I think you’ll pass a shoe store and a stairway down to a basement grocery store. It may not be so immediately obvious, because it’s upstairs and the only sign of it at street level is a stairway up with a bunch of photos of dim sum food. There is no door to open at street level – just walk in and up the stairs. Usually there’s a one-armed man selling lottery tickets on the sidewalk at the bottom of the stairs.

Actually I screwed up before. It’s on the 3d floor, not 2d floor. Even though it may not be obvious from the street, the place is huge and very popular. Lots of people do weddings there in their separate rooms. And as I said, we found the food to be good enough that we always go back there.

There used to be a place in Shimen Ding on the second floor by the MRT exit on Zhonghua road that was like Sushi Express for Dim Sum. I don’t know if it’s still there. It wasn’t cheap.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]
Liufu Kezhan hotel on songjiang and changchun was pretty good last time we went and cheap.[/quote]

That’s where this month’s food/restaurant crawl is going to be, Nov 13th.

We yumcha every Sunday at Brother Hotel 2nd floor. On Nanjing E Road, corner of Fushing. The 烤白菜 baked cabbage with cheese is to die for.

Well and truly.

[quote]Go to the intersection of Xinsheng and Xinyi (directly across the street from the northeast corner of Da’an park; a Net store will be just South of you on Xinsheng Rd, and a car dealer is diagonally across the intersection from you). Start walking down Xinyi Rd away from Da’an Park. It’s only about 3 or 4 doors down. I think you’ll pass a shoe store and a stairway down to a basement grocery store. It may not be so immediately obvious, because it’s upstairs and the only sign of it at street level is a stairway up with a bunch of photos of dim sum food. There is no door to open at street level – just walk in and up the stairs. Usually there’s a one-armed man selling lottery tickets on the sidewalk at the bottom of the stairs.

Actually I screwed up before. It’s on the 3d floor, not 2d floor. Even though it may not be obvious from the street, the place is huge and very popular. Lots of people do weddings there in their separate rooms. And as I said, we found the food to be good enough that we always go back there.[/quote]
I know the place. There’s a big… red? sign across the front of the building saying something about HK-Style or Cantonese-style something-or-other. Might have to make a visit. Thanks.

And thanks for the heads-up on the Brother Hotel 914.

There’s a dim sum place above the Hsintien MRT station. They have the carts and everything. I like it, but I’m no expert on this kind of food. It gets very busy, though, so I suppose that’s a good sign.

Avoid the Fulinmen on top of the Hsindien MRT! I ate there once and almost bit into a baby cockroach in a plate of bok choy. After a heated argument, the waitress was nice enough not to charge me for THAT dish. You can’t miss it. The restaurant has a “Will You Merry Me” billboard inside the station.

For Dim Sum, stick with the Brother Hotel. Avoid Fulinmen, unless you like to observe a tacky Taiwanese weddings.

I’ve never got any free roaches there and I’ve eaten there often. I wouldn’t go out of my way for it, though (I wouldn’t go out of my way for dim sum, period).