Diminishing returns in road cycling - Your thoughts

Diminishing returns and road cycling. What are your thoughts on this? where is the limit?

PS: googling around I saw that I’m not that original after all and reddit and other forums have already pretty much the same topic(s). I’m asking about this in the most open way possible on purpose, I really want to hear your take on this.

1 Like

Not a very appealing topic :frowning:

Maybe don’t use abbreviations in the title so people know what the thread is about? :thinking:

1 Like

The thread has visits/views. Probably people clicked on the title to understand what it was about.

I guess nobody wants to talk about what’s reasonable and what’s not to pay for a bicycle xD

Oh, I thought you meant diminishing returns in terms of how much you ride, not how much you pay. I’m a cheap bastard, so probably not the right one to ask.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s what the thread needed @ranlee , not people chiming in but people changing the title xD

Well, it’s certainly a start. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Here’s my thoughts: Everything has diminishing returns. Whisky, for example. You get a great bottle, I mean fantastic, for under 3,000 nt. As you pay more, you often wonder why you ever did.

With the amount of exercise in cycling or any other sport I have noticed this also. Cycle 100-150km per week on some nice mountains and keep that up, and you’ll see some great improvements. You double that and…diminishing returns.

Same with how much you spend on your bike, I would imagine. But I really don’t know because I have a bottom-of-the-line bike (28,000 nt about 8 years ago). But if really EVERYTHING has diminishing returns, then I bet this does too.

Okay, why did I ever post this? Damn diminishing returns again. Post two or three times a day and it’s fun. Post 50-100 times likes some folks…diminishing returns.

Okay, that’s it for me today. See everyone tomorrow.

3 Likes

I think this depends heavily on what do you want your bike for.
Do you compete in road cycling or triathlon?
Then, it’s probably worth it to invest in top of the line bike and gear if you want to classify to Kona, for example.
If you don’t compete, then just ride the most comfortable bike that fits your budget.

Do you do cyclotourism?
If you already have a reliable and comfortable bike for your size, then you are set.

If I do not even understand what the title is, in my own forum, I will assume no one else will. Consider it a favor, you are welcome :laughing:

7 Likes

I thought that this was about mileage.

I think it’s about cost?

Ditto for not understanding, Mad.
I think you pay for longevity of components and frame based on how much you ride. When i rode trails back in the old country, I used a $100CDN bike I got a police auction until I saved enough to drop 3 grand on a sweet ride that I knew I’d use a lot. I paid 30kNT for what I ride now because I shopped around and bought it as a base to upgrade components that wear out and I can justify expense based on use.

A shimano 105 group set exceeds the needs of 90% of riders.

3 Likes

Buy a bike as cheap as possible, makes your ‘work out’ ten times bigger as power to move it will increase tenfold compared to an expensive, light and easy rolling bike.

3 Likes

Wait, that’s the topic?! Huh. I thought you were asking about getting bored and less interested with cycling as time goes on.

2 Likes

If cycling is your passion, you don’t really think about things like diminishing returns. I spent 45,000NT on my carbon gravel bike. Is that a lot? Maybe, but I don’t think about the cost once I paid for it. I take good care of it. After a long ride, I clean it, hang it up in my living room, and I like what I see and look forward to the next ride. I don’t intend to buy another one anytime soon.

1 Like

Is your significant other jealous, or he/she also see the benefits? :slight_smile:

Not at all. She know a passionate cyclist is a passionate lover. :howyoudoin:

1 Like

I read “clitotourism”, vibrakiller :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Well, obviously not the title… but then they open it and voila, mystery solved.