Diploma for chinese classes?

why not start your little clean up campaign at the roots of taiwan’s problems? you nose-picking malcontent! the roots of taiwan’s problems are…shock, horror and amazement: TAIWANESE/CHINESE PEOPLE

traffic laws just laughed at
votes effectively bought
taxes fiddled
military drafts dodged
health,hygene, and safety regulations ignored
and last but not least…
institutionalised discrimination of each and every kind

but no! kimichen wants to deal with the ‘foreigner problem’, its a strange love/hate relationship that you have there- with us outsiders! you are trying to be a nice guy but your head is stuffed full of zenophobic shite that has been fed to you all of your life.

That’s correct. Comparing the petty regulations the foreigners break just to be able to get by in this country (which has every law on the books for everything…it’s just that 90% of those laws are never enforced)…compared to the massive abuses of the system perpetrated by many Taiwanese in Taiwan all the time? It’s like comparing a guy who ‘borrows’ a pen from another desk for a few minutes, to a guy who axe murders his entire family. Getting outraged at foreigners for snitching office supplies while turning a blind eye to the many Taiwanese out burning and looting is…damn, get your priorities straight!

Utter bullshit! There is a “long-lasting parsimonious history” between the foreigners posting here and the tiny proportion of ugly, foreigner-hating, racist, xenophobic fuckwits who very occasionally post here.
Most of my Taiwanese friends could be described as “radical.”
How dare you even suggest that you – a blinkered, tiny-minded ignorant zealot – could be described as “radical.” Your attitude is not radical – it is reactionary of the most conservative, old-fashioned type. You are not radical. You are a throwback, an intellectual dinosaur.

[quote=“sandman”]Utter bullshit! There is a “long-lasting parsimonious history” between the foreigners posting here and the tiny proportion of ugly, foreigner-hating, racist, xenophobic fuckwits who very occasionally post here.[/quote]After looking up “parsimonious” (just before “pedastry”) All I can say is, come on, you and me get along ok, don’t we ?

I put the “parsimonious” phrase in quotes so that no-one would accuse me of having a vocabulary I was unable to use properly.

[quote]By the way, cw.jc says that he can study for free. Please tell us how. (Or are you just referring to the scholarships?)

[/quote]

bababa- no, not a scholarship, Told someone about the problem with not having a degree, taking chinese classes etc… and within an hour he called back and said not to worry, dont even have to get my high school transcripts sent over, just choose a school, show my passport, and decide when I want to start… and only have to pay for books

Just wanted to make a point to kimichen that I have noticed on a very large scale here, it is who you know, if you know the right people you can literally get anything here, no matter what the law/rule states… I could write a book on all the schiat that has been looked over, swept under the rug, etc just from making a few calls…

wow…see what happens when you don’t check the forum regularly…things just take off…well after reading this I have a few questions…

cw.jc…you said “And guess what, stupid American without a degree has invested over 25 million NT in the last year in Taiwan, this American that is not good enough to learn your language has just signed a 2 year contract with a factory IN TAIWAN that is going to employ over 150 Taiwanese people, and last but not least this non-degree holding American has currently 68 Taiwanese working directly under him… And guess what I will not provide fake docs, I just wanted to learn the language out of respect for my employess, so I can converse with them in THEIR language instead of just pointing…”

–So my question is…with all this going for you, why can’t you just hire a tutor? why would you waste your time going to a class? I mean, seriously, if I had the cash I would prefer a tutor anyday of the week…but then maybe you like the classroom environment…oops…

Southpaw…you said…"why not start your little clean up campaign at the roots of taiwan’s problems? you nose-picking malcontent! the roots of taiwan’s problems are…shock, horror and amazement: Taiwanese/Chinese PEOPLE

traffic laws just laughed at
votes effectively bought
taxes fiddled
military drafts dodged
health,hygene, and safety regulations ignored
and last but not least…
institutionalised discrimination of each and every kind

but no! kimichen wants to deal with the ‘foreigner problem’, its a strange love/hate relationship that you have there- with us outsiders! you are trying to be a nice guy but your head is stuffed full of zenophobic shite that has been fed to you all of your life."

–Well your points are well made (I guess) but you seem to have neglected the most important point of all…it is HIS country…if you (or any other foreigner…naturally, myself included) doesn’t like it, well we can leave…and should leave…it’s not my job to reform Taiwan…and for all the crazy laws, rules, and lawbreaking that goes on - well we either have to accept it, deal with it, or leave…it’s actually quite simple

mod lang…you said “That’s correct. Comparing the petty regulations the foreigners break just to be able to get by in this country (which has every law on the books for everything…it’s just that 90% of those laws are never enforced)…compared to the massive abuses of the system perpetrated by many Taiwanese in Taiwan all the time? It’s like comparing a guy who ‘borrows’ a pen from another desk for a few minutes, to a guy who axe murders his entire family. Getting outraged at foreigners for snitching office supplies while turning a blind eye to the many Taiwanese out burning and looting is…damn, get your priorities straight!”

–Well in response might I suggest you read my response to Southpaw.

Huang…Chen you said…“Lets get it straight, a person wants to go to Shi-Da to learn Chinese. I presume this person is living in Taiwan and they want to better integrate. They don’t have a degree so you take it upon yourself to act as Shi-Da’s deputy on the off chance the person might get a Taiwan government sponsorship. Never mind that the person might actually be the best possible candidate for Chinese language study except for a ridiculous list of must haves from a stodgy bureacracy.”

–I am curious, how does a person arrive in Taiwan and just decide to study at a local university? As an island nation, it’s a bit off the beaten path isn’t it? Almost every country in the world has universities that offer Chinese courses - why would your average person…not cw.jc by the way, chose to come to Taiwan ‘on the fly’ and apply to study Chinese when they could do it at home for cheaper…oh, that’s right, so they can get a student visa and teach on the side…and has for kimichen acting as a deputy for Shi-Da, well it is his right since it is his country…and you can be sure that if I knew someone was faking degrees or credituals from my alma mater I would contact the university immediately.

And finally…sandman…you said “What the fuck are you talking about now? You have a database for every degree issued by every school in the US, both now and in the future? That’s pretty good. Except for those of us dirty cheating foreigners that don’t happen to have gone to school in the US.”

–On this, I believe he is was referring to the accrediation board in the united states that lists every accedited university…most likely a similar authority exists in other English speaking countries…for the U.S…chea.org/institutions/index.cfm

And as a help for all those without degrees…life-experience-degrees.com/ (it’s cheaper than the US$300 I read somewhere on this forum… :rainbow: )

Your site only lists the names of institutions, not whether a particular degree is authentic or not. Kimichen’s friend, however, has a super-duper special database that can check whether or not a degree is fake. I suppose you just enter the person’s name and BABOOM! Off go the alarm signals and flashing lights, etc.
There are lots of things I don’t like about what some other people do, but if they aren’t harming anyone else then I don’t go around grassing them off.
It must be a cultural thing, but where I come from, grasses are way, way farther down the social and moral scale than fraudsters. In fact, its safe to say that with the exception of paedophiles, grasses are about the most-hated people around.

Maybe it is cultural…or it could just be my mother’s twisted sense of religion…she always said, “there’s nothing God hates worse than a liar and a cheat.” Hell, as a matter of fact she still says it.

Nobody likes a liar and a cheat, that’s true. And nobody will lose much sleep if such a person gets caught out.
But likewise, few would care much about what happens to a grass, except maybe his handlers.

OH…the old, “if you dont like it, leave” response!
Who said i didnt like it? :noway: I like living here;I don’t spend too much timke thinking about reforming taiwan…but kimichen obviously does!I advised that he should perhaps first deal with the MAJOR issues before this one. It is laughable to compare some guy wanting a decent stab at learning Chinese with the sh1t listed above…I respect foreigners who like me, wish to study chinese, it makes lliving here easier , more varied, more interesting, and more importantly- I believe that more foreigners speaking Chinese is better for Taiwan’s attitude to us.
When Shi-Da start giving internationally recognised university credit for courses taken at the MTC, I will be more sypathetic toward this stupid rule- and would be less likely to avocate fraud.

Infomation

If you are really interested in learning Chinese at Shi-Da, please visit: http://www.mtc.ntnu.edu.tw/indexe.html

I check requirements in their Chinese pages:

====Chinese Start====
本中心招生的對象是高中畢業以上或具有同等學歷的人。由於每學季申請人數眾多,也必須使新獲核准的申請人有足夠的時間接到入學許可信以辦理簽證,因此有意申請者請盡早送交申請文件。所有申請文件必須在截止日期以前交齊,文件送交之後不可退還或複印。申請人只能依照前面中心學制及申請截止日所列的學季時間申請入學。
====Chinese End======

(1)You can study in Shi-Da if you graduate from senior high school/secondary school. A bachelor’s degree is not needed!

(2)They need a lot of documents (even HIV tests) if you need a student visa.

Requirement: (also on Shi-Da MTC website)
All prospective students must submit the following documents:

Completed Application Form (including photo).
Downloadable CCLC Application Form
PDF format
MS Word format

Transcript (in English) or an equivalent academic record listing course titles, credit, final grades or evaluations. Students attending universities in the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and certain other European countries which do not issue transcripts should submit statements from all individual tutors or advisors which give similar details. Please include an explanation of the grading system used.

Diploma photocopy, of most recent diploma awarded (or a university acceptance letter for graduating high school seniors).

One letter of recommendation, preferably from your teacher or employer, but otherwise from a professional who knows you well.

Health Certificate must be current (within the past 6 months), signed by a certified doctor on clinic letterhead, indicating a good level of general health. The CCLC does not provide standardized health forms.

HIV Test Result must be current (within the past 6 months) and show that the applicant is HIV negative.

Financial Statement must be current (within the past 3 months) and show that the applicant has adequate funds to cover his or her intended period of study, to the extent of at least US$2,500 per quarter or the equivalent. The statement must show that the funds are in the applicant’s own name or the name of a parent. The amount should be in U.S. dollars. This proof may be a dated bank statement or a letter from a bank on its letterhead written within the past 3 months. If using a parent’s statement, the spelling must be the same as on the application and that parent must submit a letter guaranteeing willingness to support the applicant’s stay in Taiwan. Proof of a scholarship or bank loan are also acceptable forms of documentation.

So, in other words, all of this arguing was much ado about nothing?

That is correct (that it was a useless debate, that is).

There is indeed no requirement for a college degree to study at Shita. You do need a high school diploma or equivalent. I know this for sure because a) the English secretary of Shita is a friend of mine, and I just asked him; and b) another friend of mine is currently a Shita student in good standing with an ARC through them and does not have a degree, nor has he ever been asked to produce one.

Sheesh. I can’t go out of the country for ten seconds without you guys acting up!! :raspberry: :laughing:

Hmm…I guess Kimichen will have to direct his little clean up campaign elsewhere. No, in fact his comments were not related to Chinese study at all, but were related to teaching English because thats what we foreigners are good for.

What do you think of foreigners teaching in kindergartens, Kimichen? Presently illegal.

Well Southpaw, I never assumed you didn’t like it. I only pointed out the obvious…we are all guests here and therefore the only rights we have are the ones bestowed upon us by government. And in my opinion, I have better things to do than worry about how the Taiwanese (government or private citizens) care to handle their affairs. So I will continue to stick by the old “if you dont like it, leave” response…as a matter of fact that’s why I am here…I was tired of the U.S. and I needed a change…when it comes to the point that I feel the need to complain about Taiwan on a regular basis then I will pack up and leave again. My life is too short to waste in misery…or perceived misery.

I don’t get it. With so many foreigners here in Taiwan not even bothering to learn anything about the language or culture, Southpaw should be congratulated for trying to learn Chinese. Not threatened with deportation!?

I think it’s great when any foreigner wants to learn anything about Taiwan…that is not the point of this thread, or at least that’s not what I got from it. The discussion began with someone asking about studying Chinese and then the suggestion to fake a diploma…then degenerated from there …
Then at some point FOREIGNERS presumed to tell a TAIWANESE citizen that he should focus on more serious issues in HIS home country…to this I said…
“…it is HIS country…if you (or any other foreigner…naturally, myself included) doesn’t like it, well we can leave…and should leave…it’s not my job to reform Taiwan…and for all the crazy laws, rules, and lawbreaking that goes on - well we either have to accept it, deal with it, or leave…it’s actually quite simple”

What are you talking about? I live here, along with more than half of my family. I’ve paid taxes here for more than 15 years and by Christ I’ll complain about things I don’t like if I want to.
Oh, I see what you mean – “deal with it.” Fine. That’s how I deal with things. Not by running away with my tail between my legs when things don’t go my way but by taking a stand.
If your way of dealing is to scuttle off like a whipped puppy, that’s fine by me. Do you include a pitiful yelping sound with that?
You live your life without my interference and let me live mine, thanks very much.

Dealing with a problem is not the same thing as trying to tell someone else how to run their country…and regardless of how long you’ve paid taxes here (according to my understanding) you are still not a citizen, you still don’t have the right to vote…etc. So if I have a problem then I deal with it within the confines of acceptable social standards - whatever that may be in Taiwan, but I don’t go around whining because Taiwan isn’t like the U.S. If I wanted to live in a country like the U.S. then I would have stayed in the U.S. If I want to be treated like a Taiwanese citizen then I will do whatever is required to become a citizen but until that time I know I am only a ‘visitor’ (no matter how long I stay here) and as such I am ‘a guest in someone else’s home.’
Your sentence pretty much sums up what I have been saying all along.