Diploma Qualification

So…I’m flying into Taiwan in the next few weeks. I have made a few friends who are currently teaching around Taiwan and there are millions of questions I have been asking them. There was one that they do not know the answer to.

I do not have a BA, I do have a Dip. majoring in Youth Affairs and have had about 5 years experience teaching children and running a youth movement. Will this be enough to obtain an ARC? (You’d bloody hope so)…but I’d appreciate a response from those of you who are in the know.

Thanks in advance.

Best thing to do is try. You might be able to swing it. If you want to be sure you could try contacting the Ministry of Education and seeing if they will accept an appropriate Diploma.

Bri

Are you an American? If so, does the fact that you have a “diploma” mean that you are a graduate of a Junior College/Community College? What exactally is a “Dip.”?

I think you sould expect the worst. In my experience, as an Academic Director doing paperwork for the visa applications of my new employees, I found that the MOE is very particualr about their regulations. They expect that applicants should have a MINIMUM of a BA, or equivalent degree. They have a list of recognized accreddited US Universities and Colleges, and degrees - if your school and diploma are not on the list, don’t assume that they will cut you some slack for life experience - they wont. I had several friends in the MOE [fromer local teachers of mine] who gave me the distinct impression that the MOE is a very rigid beauraracy. They will also fax your school in the States [of whereever] to verify your credentials.

Just for everyone’s info - the MOE also does not recognize correspondence degrees.

hawaii,

An option that you might want to consider before you just up and arrive in Taiwan. If you do have a qualification that is not equivalent to a BA/BS, and will be dicounted by the MOE [Ministry of Education - the ones who issue you a work permit], you could considering jumping over a BA and going right after a MA.

I had several friends who did just this. They had nver attended or completed a university undergrad program, so back in 1994 or so, when the MOE brought in the new regulations requiring that ALL foreign teachers be from a Native speaking country, and have at least a BA/BS, they could no longer work legally in Taiwan. The MOE made absolutely no exceptions at that time, so many an outstanding, veteran teacher was out of a job.

The enterprising ones, still keen to teach, and with the financial means, apllied to TEFL MA programs in the UK, and Oz. The key factor is that some schools, particularly in the UK, will take a person’s life expereince into consideration, and waive the requisite BA/BS. In other words these guys, with only high-school diplomas and a couple of years of teaching experience were able to attend MA TEFL courses! And…unlike the 2 year program length in the US and Canada, these programs are only one year.

Several of my mates who left Taiwan at that time, kind of “in disgrace” - because they were no longer “qualified” to teach at our language school, were back in 14 months MA’s in hand, working at Universities.

The MOE requires that all English instructors at Taiwan colleges, Jr. Colleges, and Universites have AT LEAST a MA. The reason that those guys, with their MA’s and University jobs couldn’t help laughing at the rest of us who soldiered on at the Language school is that, unlike us, they were getting NT$60,000/month (about US$1,750)for a 12 hour week - as a base pay + 3-4 months of FULL PAY vacation per year. Some of them, at private schools get a month bonus, too. Because their teaching obligations to their schools isn’t too harsh [12-18hrs/wk on average], and is often daytime work, they are free to moonlight elsewhere at high rates of pay. I don’t know a single MA holder in Taipei who make less than NT90,000 a month - working less than 25 hours a week.

In comparison, the average language school teacher works 30 hours a week for his/her NT60,000 and is lucky to get two weeks of paid vacation their first year.

Food for thought.

One last thing… If you arrive in Taiwan soon, you’ll be just in time for the summer crunch. The English market explodes - heaps of jobs in the newspapers everyday, demand outstrips supply - almost everyone is willing to turn a blind eye to regualtions. If you only want to come for a few months and make some quick cash, I’m sure you would succeed.

By late September, when university students go back to school, you’d have to face the reality of the MOE and the rules again.

quote[quote]The MOE requires that all English instructors at Taiwan colleges, Jr. Colleges...have AT LEAST a MA.[/quote] This is incorrect, the minimum qualification is a BA.

" 第四條

各校聘僱之外國教師,應具有合於教育部採認規定&#20 043;國外大學︵含獨立學院︶以上畢業(學位)證書, 並取得擬任課程合格教師或任教資格之合法證明文&#20 214;。 "

Also, in order for a foreign teacher to work legally at a High School that school must have a bi-lingual programme or department.

" 第三條

本辦法所稱外國教師,係指外國人於公立或已立案&#31 169;立實驗高級中等學校雙語部或雙語學校擔任一般課 程教師,或於已立案私立國民中小學擔任外國語文&#35 506;程教師者。 "

Source:

高級中等以下學校聘僱外國教師許可及管理辦法 http://www.edu.tw/high-school/rules/one/3/15.htm

This info comes from the Taiwan Ministry of Education’s website http://www.edu.tw under the high schools link http://www2.edu.tw/high-school/index.htm

Here’s another tip if you’re arriving soon. If your cash situation is not so good get a job at a summer camp. These are form about 2-6 weeks and the beauty is that your food and accomodation is paid for, you have absolutely no expenses and you walk away with the money. In contrast if you arrive and start looking for a job, you have to worry about paying 2-3 months deposit on an apartment, rent in advance or hotel/hostel bills, a week to get a job sorted out and then a month or more waiting for your first paycheck. Summer camp solves all these problems. Get in quick - starting dates about late June early July.

Bri

Thanks for all the advice.

Sounds interestingly hairy.

Where would i look for a Summer camp job? - does anyone have any info on pay and anything else related to the camps?

This would be very much appreciated.

Check the job ads here and on tealit.com, there’s a few summer camp jobs going.

Bri