Diplomacy (looking for players)

[quote=“rec.games.diplomacy”]Diplomacy is a board game of strategy and intrigue for seven players, where random chance plays no role. Luck remains crucial (can I outguess my opponent?), but the game uses no dice, no cards, and no drawing of lots beyond the distribution of who is to play what power. From there on, it is you versus the other players, with tactics, strategy, cunning, negotiation and persuasion your primary tools for winning the game.

In Diplomacy, each player controls one of the seven major powers at the start of the twentieth century: Austria-Hungary, England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, or Turkey. No one player has sufficient power to win alone, and yet cooperation is rife with risk, since nothing a player says during negotiations is binding. By negotiating alliances and treaties with the other players, each player seeks control over Europe, balancing trust and suspicion, loyalty and ruthless backstabs.[/quote]

Anyone who’s interested in playing can contact me via email (miltownkid at hotmail.com, put Diplomacy in the subject), a PM or by posting in this thread. We could play at the normal game club hours (3 or 4 til whenever) and location or setup another time and place.

If you don’t know how to play don’t worry. I don’t either. This will be my first time playing.

I was thinking Fred Smith could be Germany or France. Wouldn’t that be great :smiley:.

Here’s anice site with a lot of links and info diplom.org/

Count me in…I have played once or twice. Do you want a preference for countries or will they be drawn randomly? Standard or the Asian variant?

Edited: Will there be Press? And if there is will it be Black, White, or Grey?

It’s the standard set unless you have a different one. We could random choose who’s what country. I’d play any country. Oh yeah, we’re in Taipei for anyone that didn’t know from the gameclub thread.

DB would come the way up north to for a game of Diplomacy.
:notworthy:

I’d be honered. :slight_smile:

Woah, Press? I didn’t see that rule. We just went over the rule book that came with the game. Fill us in about any other variations (or maybe that’s something I didn’t notice).

It’s the standard set unless you have a different one. We could random choose who’s what country. I’d play any country. Oh yeah, we’re in Taipei for anyone that didn’t know from the gameclub thread.

I’d be honered. :slight_smile:[/quote]

oops :blush: , I thought that it would be PBM. Well, I guess you can put me down for a forumosa PBM game.

I’d be honered. :slight_smile:[/quote]

oops :blush: , I thought that it would be PBM. Well, I guess you can put me down for a forumosa PBM game.[/quote]
We could do that too. Hmmm… I’d be willing to arrange that. I guess I’ll have to start another thread. I’ll have to read more about that first. A PBM game is by email right (Play By Mail)?

Woah, Press? I didn’t see that rule. We just went over the rule book that came with the game. Fill us in about any other variations (or maybe that’s something I didn’t notice).[/quote]

Press is for PBM games. Since what you are planning is a FTF, then Press is not needed.

The longest PBM game I was in lasted four years. Moves were due every 6 weeks.

:laughing: :bravo:

Now that’s some serious gaming. From the looks of it, I’ll probably really get into this game.

I’d be keen on a game IRL sometime. Never played before, but never too late eh? :smiley:

Let’s start a play by mail diplomacy.

DB, do you know if there’s a way so you can set a webpage or something to show the results of the moves, the map etc?

We could start a thread in the forum, and do all the diplomacy (backstabbing) by PM.

Brian

PS Miltonkid, if you’re planning real life, have you got a board. I’d be well up for it.

The problem with Face-to-Face games is that they are rarely completed. It just takes too long. I prefer not being rushed in negociations or the planning of moves.

We can send out email reports for the results if you like. Failed moves are underlined. We can use either North American adjustments (where you first see your gains and losses before the placement of new units), or we can do Predicative adjustments (use a lot of if then statements). With beginning players, I would recommend NA adjustments.

If you want I can GM a game. If you can find 7 then I would be happy to GM only but if you need a seventh, then I would be happy to play also.

I don’t have a board, but I have access to one.

That’s right. If we play in person, it’s going to be a modified one. Only a certain number of moves probably, winner being the one with the most units at the end (or something like that).

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Let’s start a play by mail diplomacy.

DB, do you know if there’s a way so you can set a webpage or something to show the results of the moves, the map etc?

We could start a thread in the forum, and do all the diplomacy (backstabbing) by PM.

Brian

PS Miltonkid, if you’re planning real life, have you got a board. I’d be well up for it.[/quote]

I’m certainly up for a PBM game. FTF is fun but the games do take a long time! I have a board if needed.

by the way i have to say you have good taste in games mk :slight_smile:

I’m in. I have a board and pieces, too. Which version do you have, Tempo? Mine has stars and anchors for armies and fleets…

I’ve had the board for years, but I’ve never played. We could first meet and play a face-to-face match just to get the hang of how to play (maybe a limit of 10 rounds with diplomacy sessions of 15 minutes?). After we have the hang of the game, we can hold a PBM game on Forumosa??? or elsewhere???

yep, stars and anchors. mine is about 20 years old, made by avalon hill, they still around?

I count six users of cutlery ready to go. Need just one more.

miltownkid, do you want to GM it? If you do then that’s fine, if you would rather have me or someone else do it, then that’s okay too. Let us know how you want to work it.

Here’s my suggestion.

Half of us have never played before. I barely remember the rules, as I played just a few times about 15 years ago.

How about ST brings his board to Games Club on Sunday, and those of us who live in Taipei check out the rules and agree on a time and place ofr a real live game. That way we could get used to the rules and basic strategy before jumping into a PBM.

Once we’ve got the basics DB could run a game for us (he seems to know the most about it). We could use a topic in the forum to communicate, and PMs to do the intriguing (no need for e-mails). The only thing I don’t know about is how to show the maps.

Anyway, seems best to me that we wait a couple of weeks until most of us have had a chance to familiarise ourselves with the game, before jumping into a PBM.

Brian

Sounds good to me. I got a PM form some interested in the Face-to-Face game. I think we could have enough people to do something this Sunday (at Chit Chat?). DB you could GM the PBM game. I think we could have it all up and running in a week or 2. I’ll try to figure out a way to post the in the for of a map online (wouldn’t that be cool), otherwise I think we’d each need our own board/printed version to use (or something, maybe DB could fill us in).

There’s some java maps on that site you linket to MK. They let you move pieces around the map. Are you tecchy enough to figure out a way to take a snapshot of the Java Map and load it onto a website?

Brian