Dirt tracks on a Dio -- am I off my rocker?

I mentioned in another thread that I’d love to have the chance to slide about on a ratty old bike to get used to controlling loss of traction.

Then I had an idea. I already have an old bike. It’s tidy but it’s not worth much. It’s my Dio 50 scooter!

As it’s LOSS of traction I want to experience and harness, presumably the road tyres are a bonus. And the light weight and low seat height will give me confidence.

So a couple of questions. I don’t want to jump the bike, just slide it around a bit. Am I risking serious mechanical damage? While it’s not worth much, it’s still a useable vehicle so I don’t want to completely trash it.

Also, can anyone suggest a fairly tame dirt trail or just a clearing where I could practise, in the Taichung area?

You should come and play with me somtime. I live next to a HUGE field. There are sometimes 6 baseball games going on at the same time.

I walk my dogs out there and sometimes I’ll ride my 50cc out onto the field and play around. I’ve become pretty adapt at doing 180s on the scooter…and the practice helps with doing it on places other than dirt. So now I can do it on dry pavement as well. I’ve gone out in the rain a few times and shot around on the scooter…it’s kinda fun jumping off during a loss of control and landing in wet mud :laughing: .

I’ll “borrow” some road pylons and we make make a mock mini-track on the grass…it’ll be good for a laugh. And before you worry about the grass I often see guys in 4 by 4 trucks doing doughnuts out there…so compared to them we won’t be doing much.

Let me find a pic of the park…

There’s more to it than that. I live behind the building in the pic…kitty corner to the entrance to the park. If I buy a supermotard I plan on racing across there regularly :smiling_imp: .

Where is that? Taoyuan city? Looks nice and seems to be the perfect practice ground. Just the up an downs are missing for the furture. :wink:

[quote=“Mordeth”]You should come and play with me somtime. I live next to a HUGE field. There are sometimes 6 baseball games going on at the same time.

I’ll “borrow” some road pylons and we make make a mock mini-track on the grass…it’ll be good for a laugh. And before you worry about the grass I often see guys in 4 by 4 trucks doing doughnuts out there…so compared to them we won’t be doing much. [/quote]Sounds good Mordeth – though I’m not sure what shape my butt would be in after riding a 50 from Taichung to Taoyuan…

So your 50’s still going OK after sliding it about and dropping it?

Don’t those Yamaha BWS scooters have stickers on them that say “ultimate off-road machine” or something like that? There ya go matey, jeez, who needs a moto-x bike to hit the jumps and tracks when there are thousands of cheaply available ultimate off-road machines all over this country! :wink:

It has a small hill (bump) encircling the park of varying heights. I can get a little air on it.

Yeah, no problems what-so-ever. Grass is pretty slippery even when dry. Had a friend crash it doing 50 on dry pavement. Another friend rode it into the side of a car. And I’ve jumped off of it while doing 40km hour in the rain while riding on mud. I have a pic of how the scooter is now…I’ve never replaced anything other than the norm…brakes, shocks…every year or two.

Here she is…don’t get too jealous anyone:

If you see a 6’1" foreigner riding one of these with a black dog in the basket and a yellow dog on the floor…that’s probably me.

[quote=“trapjaw”]Don’t those Yamaha BWS scooters have stickers on them that say “ultimate off-road machine” or something like that? There ya go matey, jeez, who needs a moto-x bike to hit the jumps and tracks when there are thousands of cheaply available ultimate off-road machines all over this country! :wink:[/quote] I have a bws and they are pretty good off-road except they’ll heat up on steep climbs or in deep sand. Overall quite fun on trails. I’ve taken mine on many trails near Kenting, I rode from the west coast to the east coast on sandy trails all the way to the beach. :moped:

bobepine

Mordeth…now I know why you sold the CBR…so you can blast around on that sweet machine you’ve got there :smiley:

Ohh, I still have 2 other scooters…and an alright VW. Don’t worry about me :wink: .

Yes people take BWS’s off-road and have fun on them. A friend told me that they tend to tip over during jumps though!

I own a BWS as well but it’s nice and shiny and I don’t want to take the chance of scratching it up.

[quote=“joesax”]Yes people take BWS’s off-road and have fun on them. A friend told me that they tend to tip over during jumps though!

I own a BWS as well but it’s nice and shiny and I don’t want to take the chance of scratching it up.[/quote] I don’t want to scratch mine up either, it’s pretty shiny too. When I go on trails, I take it easy and I am careful. The fat tires are really good on soft surfaces and that’s basically what I take advantage of. It’s fun to just be off the road in the bush or on some coastal sandy trails.

I wouldn’t jump with my scooter, the suspension isn’t really meant for that I think. The bike is higher off the ground than a regular scooter but the shocks are more for road driving. It would land pretty hard and I would be surprised if it was indeed hard to keep it up. It would almost bounce off if you landed from to high a jump. The handlebars are too narrow for jumping too.

Also, I sit very high on my scooter. You can see in the above pic that I have the seat modified(I’m tall)so I sit more to the back. I had to raise the front end of the seat by almost 10cm to move back the seat comfort-zone. I’m 186cm tall and my feet barely sit flat on the ground when I stop. I’m sitting too high and in an awkward position to jump.

I just like to take it off the road but I don’t race it, if it’s too bumpy, I slow down.

Here’s another pic of my adventures.

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”]
[/quote]Nice picture, Bobepine.

Thing is, I’m PLANNING to drop the bike a couple of times while I experiment with sliding. I’m scared of all sorts of slidy things such as rollerskating and I feel it would be good to loosen up and get used to it. Obviously I’ll wear full safety gear. So that’s why I want to do it on the Dio which is lower, lighter and not worth much money.

Gentle trails on the BWS sound fun for sometime though. One concern – does the grit and dust get into the transmission?

The pic of the park near the top is in Long-Gan…roughly 5-10 minutes from where you live…hehe.

[quote=“joesax”]

Gentle trails on the BWS sound fun for sometime though. One concern – does the grit and dust get into the transmission?[/quote]

Not at all. If you tranny cover gasket is in ok condition I can’t see how anything would get in there except water if you drove through a foot of it for too long. Basically no worries there. A lot of sand and grass builds up on the air filter but the filter seems to do the job, nothing passes through.

As for bashing and crashing your Dio, maybe you are off your rocker. I admit it does sound like a lot of fun(read: a blast) to go spining around on the grass but you’re either going to hurt yourself or damage your bike. Maybe both.

It sounds like one of those, “don’t try this at home” type experiment. :wink:

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”]As for bashing and crashing your Dio, maybe you are off your rocker. I admit it does sound like a lot of fun(read: a blast) to go spining around on the grass but you’re either going to hurt yourself or damage your bike. Maybe both.

It sounds like one of those, “don’t try this at home” type experiment. :wink:[/quote]Maybe I phrased it wrong. I don’t want to crash deliberately, of course! But I want to get used to sliding around a bit and people say that when you start to do that you will probably drop the bike a couple of times. It won’t be high-speed stuff (it’s a Dio!) I have protective gear made of Cordura with Knox CE-approved armour at the shins, knees, elbows and shoulders. I have gloves, a stout pair of boots and a decent helmet.

Surely a gentle drop at say 20kmh isn’t going to do that much damage to me or the bike?

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“bobepine”]As for bashing and crashing your Dio, maybe you are off your rocker. I admit it does sound like a lot of fun(read: a blast) to go spining around on the grass but you’re either going to hurt yourself or damage your bike. Maybe both.

It sounds like one of those, “don’t try this at home” type experiment. :wink:[/quote]Maybe I phrased it wrong. I don’t want to crash deliberately, of course! But I want to get used to sliding around a bit and people say that when you start to do that you will probably drop the bike a couple of times. It won’t be high-speed stuff (it’s a Dio!) I have protective gear made of Cordura with Knox CE-approved armour at the shins, knees, elbows and shoulders. I have gloves, a stout pair of boots and a decent helmet.

Surely a gentle drop at say 20kmh isn’t going to do that much damage to me or the bike?[/quote]You are cracking me up. :laughing: For some reason I picture you being a tall guy all geared up for dirt riding on a Dio 50cc. You have to admit, it’s humourous. These scooters are ridiculously small, anyone taller than 5’8 looks gigantic on that scooter. :roflmao:

:blush: Sorry, I was laughing in good spirit. :slight_smile:

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”]You are cracking me up. :lol: For some reason I picture you being a tall guy all geared up for dirt riding on a Dio 50cc. You have to admit, it’s humourous. These scooters are ridiculously small, anyone taller than 5’8 looks gigantic on that scooter. :roflmao:

:oops: Sorry, I was laughing in good spirit. :slight_smile:

bobepine[/quote]The Dio has Betty Boop stickers (decals) on the front, from the previous owner.

Perhaps I should try to get someone to take some pictures of my antics.