Disaster prep?

I was doing an inventory/maintenance check on my stuff today and I was reminded about this thread by another thread recently started by Yuli.

This article is to show you what items of equipment I feel necessary to carry. It may not necessarily suit you, but it may give you some ideas about what to include in an emergency kit if you are stuck. I am no expert in survival tactics, and I look nothing like Bear Grylls. Also, having been lost in the mountains on more than one occasion without the convenience of a film crew on hand, I can’t claim to know any better than anyone else about these things. But even so, this kit has go me through some scrapes.
In truth, I feel a little silly posting this, and I’m likely to appear over-cautious and attract criticism from people who may have other opinions, but hopefully someone may find some value to what i have posted here.

Anyway, I thought to take a picture of what I take into the mountains on a typical trip. Except for the first aid kit, it is only a one man kit, and it is minus provisions like food, which has been discussed extensively in this thread already.
Although this kit is designed to make it easy for me to live in the mountains for a few days, it also serves as a kind of grab-bag should there be a disaster.
It is light, but fairly comprehensive. It has been put together for ease of use and access.
After a trip, anything used is immediately replenished.

I think paranoid red-neck Americans call this a bug out bag.

The items are laid down on a poncho which is water proof and about 9ftx6ft. Admittedly, the poncho is not the best color if you are intending to get rescued.

On the poncho top left:

Pocket vest. This vest is worn most of the time whilst I am walking. It contains the following items for ease of reach in the pockets provided at the front. Items placed in the vest are either often used or may need to be accessed quickly. The vest is also ideal in having the basic survival items close at hand in case the main bag is lost or has to be ditched in an emergency. The items can be seen on the poncho:

GPS (*see note at bottom)
“L” shaped flashlight (clips onto front of vest) with red, yellow, blue and opaque filters.
Traditional compass
Sighting compass
Headlamp (LED) with blue, green and red LED’s for night and trail use, also signaling. 1 white main LED 2 watts.
A magnesium fire starter/spark flint.
Alcohol pads. These are used to help start fires quickly and easily and aid in the treatment of insect bites and very minor injuries like grass cuts
An Eclipse Mints tin containing matches and sand paper and also some lint.
An all purpose knife (clipped to belt)
A back-up knife.
A pair of field binoculars (not shown)
Water purification tablets (not shown)
9ish inch jungle knife (also not shown)
Para-cord - don’t leave home without it
Small knife sharpening stone
A coupe of snap glow sticks
A small sewing kit
Whistle
Cell phone (but not always)

At the top of the poncho I have a basic jungle hat, well ventilated (although I prefer to wear a bandanna so i can see upwards to see bugs and snakes, branches etc and so my vision is not hampered by an annoying rim) and on the right hand side at the top I have a rucksack with a waterproof lining.
In the rucksack I put:

The first aid kit
The hammock (not that one - that’s just an example)
A mosquito net (not shown)
Some insect repellent (not shown)
Mess tins (3 - aluminum ex military, very light and very effective and easy to clean)
A water filter straw (not sure how effective these are, but as a last ditch they might come in handy - this example is still boxed, but the one used is not)
A light flask (1.5l) which can keep liquids warm.
A sturdy metal water bottle and canteen
Any food for my intended journey, plus emergency rations (not shown)
A pack ax, strapped to the back of the rucksack (also not shown)
A willingness to adapt existing equipment to uses other than what they are designed for(not shown)
Common sense (not shown)

My pack doesn’t contain traps, snares or fishing hooks because I think these things are often gimmicks. Traps and snares can be made easily in the wild using the things around you, as can fish hooks. Anyway, who needs fish hooks when you can use your hammock as a big net?

The poncho can be used for weather protection, either as a wrap-around, as a kind of ground tent, or, as I use it, in conjunction with a hammock slung between two trees. The poncho is then strung above the hammock as a shelter and a mosquito net is placed inside. If you intend to sleep in the wild and you don’t have a tent, this is the best solution. I use it so I can travel lightly and it is much lighter and more versatile than a tent. I also find it to be more comfortable than a tent and believe it or not, warmer and drier, even in very heavy rain. It can also be used for fresh water procurement, both from rainfall or as a kind of big bucket, or to trap condensation.
The pack ax is very useful and would be indespensible in a disaster scenario
The other item in the photograph I don’t take with me, and was left in by mistake, but is explained:

Home use:

The black square bag is actually a portable battery, and it powers an emergency tube light. The tube light can be powered from a fully-charged battery for about 9 hours on two tubes and about 15 on one. It is very useful to have around the house if the power goes out or something worse happens, as initially you will want a lot of well distributed light to get your act together. The light can then be used sparingly, potentially giving you sporadic power for weeks. And it is portable. It is also useful to put in the car. I also have a paraffin lantern to serve as a more constant source of light. Other kinds of oil other than paraffin can be used.
The fire extinguisher is self explanatory.
There is a cheap LED light which can be attached to things. There is no switch, just press the whole unit and it will turn on. Good for when you are in a panic and need an initial source of light.
I also keep an old camping gas stove in the house so I can get on with some tea or pasta or something if the kitchen doesn’t work.
Of course, In always have a supply of water and dried food around the house.

First Aid kit:

This is a representation of what can be found in my mobile first aid kit, although it is not exhaustive:

Cold and flu packs, basically just for moral/feel good in the cold factor.
Bandage length
Plasters/elastoplast (some waterproof)
Emergency blanket/space blanket
Various gauzes
Eye pads for eye injuries
Burn/scald cream
UV protection
Paracetemol
Triangular sling
A pair of tweezers
Surgical gloves
Surgical tape
Saline solution
Iodine for cut sterilization

And house kit:

More of the same. but more home-based:

*The GPS is a useful tool to have, but I don’t rely on it. If the power goes down due to a disaster, ground stations needed for a position fix may not work and the unit will be inaccurate. In any case, I prefer to keep my compass skills up. As with everything in this pack, I try not to use it by making do with what I can get by on in the wild. The items I use the most are the knives, para-cord and the fire lighting material. i have matches for back-up. As a rule, I practice the hard way while I am able, leaving the things that can aid me in the event of an injury or more serious situation untouched.
This kit goes out with me every time I spend more than a couple of hours in the mountains alone. Obviously I wouldn’t take it to YamingShan or SOGO. but the equipment is there if it is needed.
It looks like a lot of kit, but in reality, it isn’t. Everything fits into the vest and bag with room to spare, and it is not heavy. None of the kit is particularly expensive. Most of it is old and cheap, but it still works effectively.

I take one set of back-up batteries for each electric item, except for the LED headlight, for which I take 2 sets.
You might want to pack a stove and gas cylinder. I get by on fires.

Having equipment I don’t intend to use, or I don’t know how to use, is pointless. I make sure I know how to use everything I carry. If I can’t use it or don’t know how to, I don’t take it or don’t pack it.

Anyway, thought I would post something like this as I am surprised nobody else has. i hope you find some of it useful. Thanks for reading.

1 Like