Discrimination faced by ABCs in the US

JFK is a fine example of how things change. How many Americans would make a huge thing out of a presidential candidate being Catholic nowadays?

It is a matter of culture, not language, when people call you a foreigner in a place where you’re not a foreigner, but I still say that if you are a foreigner, you are a foreigner, and it’s nothing to be ashamed of.

You don’t need to have grown up in a place to Be a citizen, and therefore not a foreigner.

Even if you are a long term resident of foreign birth (e.g. Green card holders), people hardly go around calling you foreigner.

See if you can follow my warped logic here…

Michael Luo’s parents moved to the US in their mid twenties I take it, raised a family and were able to do well enough to put kids through Harvard. Years later their son Michael writes article to major newspaper about discrimination to ABC because nutter shouted at him from across the street.

Has this family ever in their lives advocated for change or casually discussed with their friends the institutional discrimination in their homeland Taiwan? (I take it their roots are very important to them otherwise why the hell use the ABC term in the first place). Or are they like every other ABC or CBC or whatever XBC I’ve ever spoken to and are either blissfully unaware of it, choose to ignore it, or outright defend and make excuses for it.

What say you?

But the US is supposed to be a nation of immigrants where everyone is equal. Taiwan is not

How does that SYS aphorism go again?

“…or outright defend and make excuses for it.”

Okay like half of what you said makes sense to me. Hiring on the basis of looks and not ability and making the judgement based on race can yes, obviously be discriminatory. It’s where you want to lay the blame. You can choose to say Taiwanese parents want a white teacher blah blah, but then it’s surely not the fault of someone who’s skin is not white and can teach with the same ability that they are not in fact, white. The problem lays with the discriminatory thinking of the clients, those who have that image. Saying we can’t change them is not good enough. Ignorance is not bliss in this situation and while a lot of things may be uncomfortable to deal with or hard to change, I wouldn’t accept this way of thinking or work for a company that adopts that kind of mentality. Blame it on the clients, or the manager of the Buxiban but it most certainly is not on the non white person who’s applying for a job. I have a friend who confronted a similar situation a couple months ago. Although I do agree with their not being white priveleage or whatever 100 percent of the time. Because you fit the image or criteria of what the parents are looking for doesn’t mean that you agree with their thinking so whatever. The reality is that anybody who’s not Taiwanese is sometimes going to feel out of place in Taiwan its kind of natural I guess. But this whole only hiring white people business is bullshit . I have friends in Taiwan who are not white and are far more qualified to teach then me. So no I don’t agree with white privilege in the sense that it would not be a privilege to work for any kind of company with those standards .

what i am saying is…do your research. this attitude exists here, that’s the reality. its not going to change anytime soon so don’t come here if that’s going to be a problem for you. working here isn’t going to be a walk in the park if you are white and even less so for other races. do your research!

i don’t think its worth trying to change their attitude because Taiwanese don’t give a shit what foreigners think and they will just think you should go home if you don’t like it. not the hill i would choose to die on but i have no problem with anyone else trying to change it. good luck! jia you! i just have a problem with the whole white privilege garbage.

Before you tell me to do my research, don’t put words in my mouth. I at no point denied the existence of that kind of thinking being present in Taiwan. Don’t come here? I’ve been in Asia since I was 15 dude I’ve spend more time in Asia then I have in my home country so I don’t need your advice relating to whether or not Taiwanese take what I say at face value. The whole point was to reliterate that although the attitude does exist that doesn’t mean I approve of it or it makes that thinking okay. So kindly, do your own research prior to arriving at conclusions, which you probably were not in the habit of before you came here, eh.

it was not directed at you. i was just elaborating the post you replied to.

Pick up any serious book about law written by a Taiwanese within the last 20 odd years. If you can’t find a single word of German in it, I will be impressed.

2 Likes

Stop pointing out that this attitude exists and that you should accept it or leave. The fact is that we don’t have to accept it, and if some Taiwanese don’t like that, it is they can go.

Go where

1 Like

so is this true, anyone Gen Z in USA, I am about same Gen but felt comfortable in EU mostly Ireland as
As Gen Z Asian Americans come of age, the vast majority feel they don’t belong | US news | The Guardian]

Sad story where a woman ended up homeless after divorce and home squatters.

Wow what an awful and sad story. Can people really take over the house like that?

I haven’t had any trouble evicting people, but I had a tenant bring his son in.

Colorado springs is the fastest growing city in America and this one of the consequences of that. Home prices have ballooned out of control as has homelessness.

I remember when I was growing up, it was rare to see homeless people in the city. Actually most homeless lived in a tent city next to a stream in the forest. After the city destroyed it, things went way way downhill. Now there are homeless everywhere, even in the suburbs

Edit: apparently these tent cities keep popping up. Guess you can’t blame the increase on the city destroying the camp

Its hard for me as outsider, to understand a country rich as the USA has so many homeless. Is it a hard problem to solve, why does not the public try to help out or the city?

The wealth is unevenly distributed. There are many wealthy people sure, but more people are poor and struggling than who are rich. You gotta realize America is the 3rd largest country in the world and it’s very difficult to help everyone.

Additionally, like anywhere, the government is inefficient and usually government run services end up underfunded or more commonly, mismanaged.

Often religious organizations end up servicing the homeless more effectively.

Another issue is that city housing prices often balloon out of control. As the middle and upper classes gain wealth, the lower classes lose buying power as well resulting in homelessness.

There are other explanation as well such as health care being really expensive and insurance usually stemming from employers. So, if you lose your job and you get an expensive injury, you could just end up in a bad situation. There’s also an issue with drug use such as over prescribed opiates leading to unsustainable addictions. There are also sometimes antisocial people who prefer homelessness

3 Likes