Discrimination in Job Application?

I could believe it contributes unfortunately, at the same time I don’t believe that it is the only factor too.

1 Like

By the way you can be discriminated against these days for wearing a suit and tie to an interview.
Yep you might not been seen as ’ a good fit’ for the 'company culture '. It can work in so many ways.

3 Likes

Let’s see:

You’re trying to find a job in a country without being fluent in that country’s language.

When looking for a job in the US a company listed Numpy, Pandas and cie as Python’s beginner level. Do you have a github, do you have a portfolio?

How many years working in those fields are we talking about?

Ask your friends how they got their job, and look what’s the difference between your profile and theirs, and how they found their job. Once you’ve upped your profile to be at the same level as theirs you can start blaming discrimination.

3 Likes

I myself barely know how to say Xie Xie. So, being fluent is not a must FYI.

2 Likes

Not being being called to any interviews at all is strange. I would make sure your resume is well prepared in Chinese as well as English . How long jhahe you been applying for?
Also you should have placed your resume on 1111 before…That’s an important platform.

1 Like

I have portfolio and github, of course. Participated in Hackathon before. Thank you for telling me! I will definitely improve my self as well.

About the language, I am an everyday Chinese speaker and all my courses are all in Chinese. I will not say I’m fluent because I cannot read many Chinese literatures :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay. I’ll put my resume in 1111 too. Thank you very much! :smile:

Then maybe your problem is that you’re bad at selling yourself.

If you can have a business conversation in Mandarin but cannot read the 道德經, call yourself fluent cause that’s what you are. If you’ve done hackatons and got a portfolio, talk about this instead of saying you’re “good at programming,” because any first-year student in CS can claim to be “good,” but few can say “I worked for X months on a project with a team of Y people that allowed company ABC to increase their customer base by Z%.”

Finding a job is a sales pitch. You don’t want to be nice, you want to be convincing. You want the person in front of you to believe that thingamajig in your hands is exactly what they need, so that they take it out of your hands and place money there instead.

3 Likes

Indeed!
I was surprised when my boss (who has sales background) introduced me to a client saying: “He’s our new manager, fluent in X, Y and Z languages, with extensive background in A, B and C and will be of great value to support you in the upcoming projects”.

Although it’s all true, I couldn’t have said better myself!

Maybe I should ask for a raise… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Unhelpful

It wouldn’t prove discrimination if they came up with a plausible excuse.

Why not just not put a photo on the resume at all?

2 Likes

Isn’t it obligatory in Taiwan to put picture?

My suggestion is to identify the companies that you would like to work for and contact their Human Resources managers to book an appointment for an information interview so that you can find out more about these companies and their present and future vacancies.

1 Like

I wouldn’t attach a photo to my CV if employers don’t request it.

Your appearance isn’t important. What matters most are your qualifications, experience and character.

When you attend an interview your appearance is very important so dress professionally.

How about in 104? It’s obligatory to put picture I think?

It’s not.
I’ve never done it and it was never an issue.

A lot of places asked for it before.

Then just put a pic when sending a CV for the places that ask for it, not for all of them.

1 Like