Discussion about COVID restrictions and lockdowns in Taiwan

Does exercise outdoors include riding my UBike?

I assume so.
If not, just pull your phone out and take some selfies.

2 Likes

You could also at the same time pretend to be lecturing at a university, as this is one of the new categories to be mask-exempt (providing that social distance can be maintained)!

Guy

1 Like

Huh, I totally missed that. Another somewhat contradictory measure: it’s the person talking loudly at the front who’s going to be a geyser of (hypothetical) virus particles, not the all-too-quiet students.

I guess we need to wait for university-level directives on this.

Btw, I found that tidbit somewhat buried in this story from today’s Taipei Times:

Guy

1 Like

Are beauty parlors (which are to remain closed) different from hair salons? Must be, because all the hair salons I see in my area have definitely been open for awhile.

Beauty parlors include tourist parlors audio-video parlor.

Even thought we still don’t know what that is…

3 Likes

I think the giveaway is that next to that it mentions that “establishments without hostess services may open provided that they must follow epidemic prevention and management regulations”. As I think Finley mentioned, a barber shop is a well known euphemism for places that offer more services than wash, cut and blowdry.

Then it starts to make sense why there might be places only for tourists (including visiting Japanese businessmen or not, I have no idea) and audio visual meaning that they also offer, well it could be anything. Ktv? Movies? Special movies or shows? (Despite having lived inside a building with three jiudians, I have almost no knowledge)

Given that the tea parlors in Wanhua were the weakest link for one outbreak, the combination of, what did they say, “services that require the removal of masks”? and girls smuggled into the country (interesting to see in Seqalu that this has quite a history) has led them to say that they’re keeping that under wraps until the post covid party.

Of course I may be putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.

1 Like

Are the saunas open though? Might actually go to the gym :joy:

So it looks like masks are needed in Taoyuan when cycling, running, hiking outdoors. This is coming soon to a neighborhood near you, I’m sure.

2 Likes

Probably not. We’re not seeing community spread right now.

1 Like

It was announced yesterday for Taoyuan .
Pain in the arse due to small cluster ,airport ?
Meanwhile eating in restaurant…No problem. :joy::grin:
Review in a week or two again.

I did a health check recently. I realise some businesses and people better prepare for when omicron breaks out here , there’s probably going to be a period where they’ll have to shut down according to the way the government operates.
Even if not shut down a lot of customers and companies won’t book those kind of optional services during the peak outbreak. I felt some sympathy for them knowing what coming down the line, sooner than later.

2 Likes

I wonder. What countries have shut down with this, in fact?

I went swimming this evening. And I’ll go again this weekend. I have a bad feeling about this. Not fear of the virus but the reaction here to local cases. The pools were some of the first things to go last time around.

4 Likes

I went to the gym this evening for the first time in ages (since the requirement to wear masks during exercise was removed). It was great - virtually nobody there. I’m pretty certain it’s only a matter of days before Dr “I smoke and have never exercised in my life” Chen decides the mask mandates are in full force again, so I’m making the most of it while it lasts.

4 Likes

Oh no! I hadn’t thought of that! I was hoping to finally get back in the water this weekend after a knee injury. Crap crap crap. I’d only been back in the water a few weeks when I took the knee out! And now, yeah, I fear I may only get a few days back in the water again.

1 Like

So exercising without a mask, if you can keep a distance, is still allowed?

2 Likes

It sounds like this is the case. But you need to carry one with you in case the need to wear it arises.

1 Like

I think that has changed now. From what someone posted in another thread, it seems you have to wear one to exercise now.

6 Likes