Discussion on hypnotherapy for giving up smoking

Its my experience that if I berate someone for long enough, and hard enough for something, then they tend to give up out of embarrassment for themselves. You should ask a friend to have a go at you. My dad told me over the phone he was overweight. Now after some verbal therapy sessions he has a complex, but hey! He’s thinner! And he thanks me for it to boot. A hell of a lot cheaper than a what? Hypnotherepist? Why would anyone want to be tricked instead of owning up to the loser they are? Sorry, I have my insensitive hat on. Either that or our session has already begun. Give me a call if you like. I can fix people as well as cars you know! :wink:

See Office Space. Unintended consequences.

Not wary enough, apparently…
It’s pretty much common knowledge that those nightclub acts use preselected shills that are in on the game.
“Clearly demonstrated the gullibility of your average rube”, maybe.

It’s pretty much common knowledge that those nightclub acts use preselected shills that are in on the game.
“Clearly demonstrated the gullibility of your average rube”, maybe.[/quote]

Except that you’re completely wrong. I went to the show with two girls from my work, whom I knew well and were definitely not in on the act. I saw them being hypnotized on stage, along with 3 others, and acting bizarre and completely contrary to their ordinary conduct. They were definitely not acting; they were under a hypnotic spell. Feel free to not believe in hypnosis if you wish, but that would make you the gullible rube.

mayoclinic.com/health/hypnosis/SA00084

[quote=“The Wall Street Journal”]Hypnosis, often misunderstood an almost always controversial, is increasingly being employed in mainstream medicine.

Numerous scientific studies have emerged in recent years showing that the hypnotized mind can exert a real and powerful effect on the body.

The new findings are leading major hospitals to try hypnosis to help relieve pain and speed recovery in a variety of illnesses.

At the University of North Carolina, hypnosis is transforming the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, and often-intractable gastro-intestinal disorder, by helping patients to use their mind to quiet an unruly gut.

Doctors at the University of Washington’s regional burn center in Seattle regularly use it to help patients alleviate excruciating pain. Several hospitals affiliated with Harvard Medical School are employing hypnosis to speed up post surgical recovery time.

In one of the most persuasive studies yet, a Harvard researcher reports that hypnosis quickened the typical healing time of bone fractures by several weeks.

“Hypnosis may sound like magic, but we are now producing evidence showing it can be significantly therapeutic,” says David Spiegel, a Stanford University psychologist, “We know it works but we don’t exactly know how, though there is some science beginning to figure that out, too.”[/quote]
talentdevelop.com/articlelive/ar … Page1.html

As for me, I don’t need a scientific study to confirm that it’s real. I’ve seen it with my own eyes, up close, on people I knew well.

“Clearly demonstrated the gullibility of your average rube”, maybe.[/quote]

Except that you’re completely wrong. I went to the show with two girls from my work, whom I knew well and were definitely not in on the act. I saw them being hypnotized on stage, along with 3 others, and acting bizarre and completely contrary to their ordinary conduct. They were definitely not acting; they were under a hypnotic spell. Feel free to not believe in hypnosis if you wish, but that would make you the gullible rube.

mayoclinic.com/health/hypnosis/SA00084

[quote=“The Wall Street Journal”]Hypnosis, often misunderstood an almost always controversial, is increasingly being employed in mainstream medicine.

Numerous scientific studies have emerged in recent years showing that the hypnotized mind can exert a real and powerful effect on the body.

The new findings are leading major hospitals to try hypnosis to help relieve pain and speed recovery in a variety of illnesses.

At the University of North Carolina, hypnosis is transforming the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, and often-intractable gastro-intestinal disorder, by helping patients to use their mind to quiet an unruly gut.

Doctors at the University of Washington’s regional burn center in Seattle regularly use it to help patients alleviate excruciating pain. Several hospitals affiliated with Harvard Medical School are employing hypnosis to speed up post surgical recovery time.

In one of the most persuasive studies yet, a Harvard researcher reports that hypnosis quickened the typical healing time of bone fractures by several weeks.

“Hypnosis may sound like magic, but we are now producing evidence showing it can be significantly therapeutic,” says David Spiegel, a Stanford University psychologist, “We know it works but we don’t exactly know how, though there is some science beginning to figure that out, too.”[/quote]
talentdevelop.com/articlelive/ar … Page1.html

As for me, I don’t need a scientific study to confirm that it’s real. I’ve seen it with my own eyes, up close, on people I knew well.[/quote]

Uh huh, no problem, Jethro, whatever you say…

Perhaps your cow-orkers felt a little pressure to perform when the master said,

“You are a dog! Bark like a dog!”,

and they could hear a couple of shills yapping it up whilst pretending to pee on each others legs. :ponder:

Okay, Chef, I guess you know better than I do how my friends behaved that day. Remarkable.

And I guess you know better than the US National Institute for Health

And I guess you know better than Cancer researchers

And I guess you know better than Harvard Medical School faculty

[quote]People have been hypnotized to see color where only shades of gray exist, and to see gray when actually looking at brightly colored rectangles.

That result wouldn’t be so surprising at a carnival or stage show, but it comes from a tightly controlled scientific experiment done at a Harvard University medical facility.[/quote]

And I guess you know better than this Cornell-Columbia U hospital

And I guess you know better than Stanford doctors

And I guess you know more than the British and American Medical Associations

[quote]Hypnosis was first officially recognized as a viable therapeutic tool by the British Government through the Hypnotism Act in 1952. Then, in 1958 both the British and the American Medical Associations (AMA) sanctioned the official use of hypnosis by physicians. In 1958, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) also approved hypnotherapy for use by professionally responsible individuals.

Prestigious hospitals in the U.S. now use and teach hypnosis, such as Stanford University School of Medicine in San Francisco, the Beth Israel Medical Center in Boston, and University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. Since the AMA sanctioned the use of hypnosis, many insurance companies cover hypnosis for medical and dental uses, including major surgeries. [/quote]

Must be nice to know more than everyone else.

I guess the chief is just talking about hypnosis shows.

I hope there wasn’t any alcohol served in your controlled experiment.

And remember, it DIDN’T work on you.

“Showroom hypnotists usually work bars, clubs, and state fairs. Their subjects are usually people who have some experience with hypnosis. The subjects may have never been hypnotized themselves, but they have a pretty good idea of what to expect. They know, for example, that the hypnotist may get one of the participants to cluck like a chicken or go back to his seat in the audience and later stand up and shout something. They also often have “plants” in the audience to give credence to their powers. A favorite trick of stage hypnotists is to have somebody adopt a board-like posture, supported only by the heels and back of the head—any reasonably fit person can do this.* Depending on the inhibitions and amount of alcohol imbibed by the participants, such shows can produce behavior the participants would describe as “out of their control” and “not typical” for them.”

skepdic.com/hypnosis.html

Placebos, the power of suggestion, hypnosis . . . OK, I’m sure they can help people feel/get better . . . but I’m with the chief on these shows.

I don’t doubt that some tricks may be involved in some nightclub entertainment acts, but I do know that:

• hypnotism definitely works

• most people can be put into a hypnotic trance and be persuaded to perform acts they would never perform under ordinary circumstances, acts they might usually find extremely humiliating, brave, embarassing, etc. and their conscious mind would ordinarily stop them (I saw it with my own eyes on people I knew well)

• it can also be used successfully to control pain, stop smoking and modify other ingrained habits, compulsions and addictions that people are otherwise unable to control, and many many people are very satisfied with the results it helps them achieve in that respect (as all those doctors and hospitals will attest), and

• when I saw my two friends under a hypnotic spell, they were definitely under a hypnotic spell and it wasn’t any phoney trick as Chief falsely asserts.

So, I continue to recommend that the OP try hypnotism to kick smoking. Obviously it would never work for the Chief, because he foolishly refuses to believe in it. But it’s a proven fact that it can and does work for countless people who let down their guard, drop their suspicions, and agree to submit to the hypnotist’s suggestions, so it’s certainly worth a try.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Okay, Chef, I guess you know better than I do how my friends behaved that day. Remarkable.

Must be nice to know more than everyone else.[/quote]

Must be nice to argue like an 11-year old.
Aren’t you at work??

Oh, my gosh! It definitely seems like the atmosphere of a group of people giving up the cigies in here.

Sorry, I missed that last bit.
I was out having a smoke.

I was out having a smoke.[/quote]

Did it taste like burnt rubber?

Listen mate, you’ve gotta ask yourself if there is anyone in your life worth preserving your life for. If so, focus like crazy, think of them, think of how much they love you, and if THAT doesn’t hynotise you, nothing will! I know~I have done it~More than 2 years without a cigarette!
Good luck mate!

I was out having a smoke.[/quote]

Did it taste like burnt rubber?[/quote]

Uh uh, man, it was gooooood
But while I was out there, I hipmotized the cleaning lady into acting like a chicken.
And then I made her give me her wallet…

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]Okay, Chef, I guess you know better than I do how my friends behaved that day. Remarkable.

Aren’t you at work??[/quote]

Must be nice to be blissfully ignorant and proud of it.

So, DO you know more about hypnotism than doctors at Harvard, Stanford and the Mayo Clinic who use it for treatment, or the British and American Medical Associations who approve it, and the insurance companies who pay for it, and me who witnessed it being successfully performed on two of my close friends?

Apparently you don’t believe hypnotism can work to relieve pain or modify behavior such as quitting smoking. How do you reconcile your superior knowledge with that of the above authorities? Were they ALL suckered in by a cheap parlor trick?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]Okay, Chef, I guess you know better than I do how my friends behaved that day. Remarkable.

Aren’t you at work??[/quote]

Must be nice to be blissfully ignorant and proud of it.

So, DO you know more about hypnotism than doctors at Harvard, Stanford and the Mayo Clinic who use it for treatment, or the British and American Medical Associations who approve it, and the insurance companies who pay for it, and me who witnessed it being successfully performed on two of my close friends?

Apparently you don’t believe hypnotism can work to relieve pain or modify behavior such as quitting smoking. How do you reconcile your superior knowledge with that of the above authorities? Were they ALL suckered in by a cheap parlor trick?[/quote]

I don’t need to reconcile anything, Li’l Abner.

I don’t care if you’re C. Everett Koop, Lee Harvey Oswald, or Aimee Semple McfuckinPherson.

Anyone who says they witnessed actual hipmotism at a club show or other entertinment venue is a mark and a sucker,

and I’d love to sit down with you sometime and discuss a unique investment opportunity from Nigeria.

Your friends didn’t happen to be hobbits, did they?

ps You’re getting verrrrryyyy sleeeeeeepy…

Ha, funny guy. But you’re still wrong. Hypnotism does work. Anyone who doesn’t believe it is an ignorant fool.

Incidentally, you still haven’t explained how it’s possible that the BMA, AMA, Harvard, Stanford and Mayo Clinic, and the insurance companies who pay for its use all believe it works, but you know that it doesn’t. Can you give us a cute picture or a funny joke to explain that?

Would it work for chronic depression?

I don’t understand. ?