Discussion on hypnotherapy for giving up smoking

I think that if it worked, it would be way more popular. I believe that people can be hypnotized. I don’t know anyone who quit through hypnosis and I only know one person who tried it.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Ha, funny guy. But you’re still wrong. Hypnotism does work. Anyone who doesn’t believe it is an ignorant fool.
[/quote]

:laughing: Don’t you have to want to be hypnotised? And doesn’t that sort of defeat the object? Books are marketed here that offer results or money back. I guess sceptics just don’t buy the books.

Me? Good luck to anyone who thinks they can make me go to sleep or suggestible to good advice …

I bet my dad’s droning on and on would be enough to put you to sleep

and especially for MT
youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ZWAQnCZ-s

Hypnotism works very well. My dad’s partner used it for many years to get people to quit smoking, among other things, like getting ladies to take their panties off, if he had any sense at all in his head. You DON’T need to be susceptible, apparently. It’s a very simple process that works on pretty much anybody.
Those hypnotist shows, on the other hand, are exactly as the chief describes.

Did you try it Sandman? (To quit smoking. Not for the panties thing.)

Never did, no. Two of my sisters did, though, and both stayed off the weed for a goodly period afterward, and both were just as skeptical and cynical as I am, if you can believe that. I have no clue about the state of their panties at the time, but I imagine they remained pretty much at full mast throughout.

Does that mean ‘on’ or ‘off’?

[quote=“sandman”]
Those hypnotist shows, on the other hand, are exactly as the chief describes.[/quote]My experience begs to differ. I’ve sat in a few of these shows. One of them was at my high school when a hypnotist was invited to perform. I’ve seen some students do incredible things, and the best is, some of them were shy students who certainly could not have been hired to act it out NO MATTER how much you’d have paid them. It was the real thing. They were OUT.

My folks tried hypnosis to quit smoking. Didn’t work. To think that you can just be hypnotized to never remember that you ever smoked is far fetched. This said, I’m pretty sure that hypnosis can be excellent support coupled with any method employed to quit smoking. Hypnosis just helps you change your train of thought as to not jones as much for a smoke, and that’s a darn good thing.

marboulette

Cheat on your wife, they chuck you in prison for a year. You’re not allowed to smoke in prison anymore. The best way to quit.
So what the fuck is the currency in jail nowdays? Nicotine patches?

Oh, and I tried hypnotherapy, acupuncture and methadone for heroin addiction. None of them worked.

Smoking is incredibly hard to quit it seems. My dad was inhaling oxygen and taking a puff with the other hand. My mom cant stop smoking either. Both of them started when it was fashionable back in the 50s to smoke.

One of my buds can not go without a smoke in an hour if you gave him a million dollars. I brought him a carton of marlboros back from Taiwan and each pack had all these (required) anti smoking pics on them. It doesnt deter a smoker.

That stuff is extremely addictive.

I think a smoker would rather give up sex then a cigarette.

Me? I dont smoke.

I’m working on a theory about using blunt force trauma to the base of the skull.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Don’t you have to want to be hypnotised? And doesn’t that sort of defeat the object . . . . .

Me? Good luck to anyone who thinks they can make me go to sleep or suggestible to good advice …[/quote]

I believe the first part is true, pretty much. For it to work on you, one has to be willing to relax, let down one’s guard, trust the hypnotist, and relinquish oneself to his/her control. I was unable to do that. When I saw the nightclub act, the guy first called lots of volunteers onto stage. I went up along with at least 15 others. He tried it on all of us, but I believe I was too vigilant, staying alert so I wouldn’t be tricked into anything foolish. So it didn’t work on me (or a bunch of others) and we went back to our seats. He then kept a smaller handful of people up there on whom it had worked, and they provided the entertainment for us.

But I don’t see that as defeating the object if one goes to a hypnotist to lose weight or quit smoking. If he can implant a very strong subconscious suggestion in your head that smoking is vile and nasty or one is repulsed by eating junk food and sweets, then one has willingly submitted to the hypnotist’s control for a good purpose that one was unable to achieve without his assistance. What’s so bad about that? Except when you leave the session and find your panties are missing. . . :ponder:

With hypnotism your life is not under your control. I guess if you are really weak that’d be definitly something you would want to do.
As a parlor trick, it sure can be funny, get someone to act like a monkey or a chicken etc…
You need to deal with life not hide behind someone else implant and not even knowing about it…how sad is that.

[quote=“igorveni”]With hypnotism your life is not under your control. I guess if you are really weak that’d be definitly something you would want to do.
[/quote]

There is nothing weak about seeking help when you have a problem. It’s actually a part of taking control of your life, much like a depressed individual seeing a doctor and taking drugs to stay afloat emotionally. Cigarette addiction is more or less a mental disease. Once you wrap your head around that, you’ll understand how sanctimonious your above comment really is.

[quote]how sad is that[/quote]Very…

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”][quote=“igorveni”]With hypnotism your life is not under your control. I guess if you are really weak that’d be definitly something you would want to do.
[/quote]

There is nothing weak about seeking help when you have a problem. It’s actually a part of taking control of your life, much like a depressed individual seeing a doctor and taking drugs to stay afloat emotionally. Cigarette addiction is more or less a mental disease. Once you wrap your head around that, you’ll understand how sanctimonious your above comment really is.

[quote]how sad is that[/quote]Very…

marboulette[/quote]
There is nothing weak about seeking help whe one has a problem. There is everything weak when you decide to implant yourself or get yourself “robotized” so it looks like you have handled the problem, but you didn’t and the worst part of it is YOU ARE NOT IN CONTROL.

Gee, let’s see, which is worse. . .

Die a painful, agonizing death from lung cancer, coughing and wheezing and spitting up phlegm (but proudly, under ones own control :wink: ). . .

. . . or obtain help from a professional to conquer ones addiction and go on to live a long, healthy and active life

Hmmmm, that’s a tough one. :ponder:

That’s a gross pic MT.

It is gross. It’s obscene.

And you know what’s the grossest thing about it? The dying guy was just 34 years old and that’s his wife and daughter in the pic, not his child and grandchild.

[quote]A consumer group in Canada posted his deathbed picture in dozens of schools and factories. Web sites in Germany and Poland and Brazil featured the frightening photo. Time magazine published it, too: a skeletal face sunk deep in a pillow.

And at least 300 people across the United States wrote the man’s mom, saying they had been inspired by her son’s story.

More than a year after Bryan Lee Curtis died, he’s still saving lives.

“His last wish worked,” Louise Curtis said of her youngest son. "He said he’d be happy if he even reached one person. I have no idea how many people that picture has touched. But I bet it’s been thousands. I’m still getting cards.

“Bryan has helped an awful lot of folks. I’m so proud of him.”

Bryan Curtis was 34. He was a mechanic, a roofer, a construction worker. He smoked two packs of Marlboro Reds almost every day, for nearly 20 years.

In early April 1999, the robust blond man with the wide moustache started suffering strange pains in his side. His mom insisted he see a doctor. He died of lung cancer nine weeks later.

He left a wife, a 9-year-old daughter, a 3-year-old son. . . [/quote]
sptimes.com/News/102900/Flor … nted.shtml

I’m glad you’re not one of those anti-abortion people.

:laughing: :bravo:

Actually, I really don’t care that much about smoking, as it’s not my problem, nor the problem of anyone in my family. Others are free to do as they wish. I was just screwing around. And, to be honest, I own stock in a tobacco company as nothing sells products like addiction. But if a smoker wishes to kick their habit by any means possible, including hypnotism, I think good for them.