Disgruntled Americans Emigrating to Canada?

For those of you who haven’t heard, I thought that I’d post it.

Since the recent presidential election in the States, Canada has received a huge increase in applications for immigration from American citizens.

What do you think?

I think it is an excellent idea which will raise the average IQ of both nations.

I think links to the information would be nice, as well as posting in the correct thread. Hell, even the correct forum would be nice.

I think that for such an action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The subjects could probably save themselves a lot of time and trouble if they just took a cold shower or something instead.

I think any hint of smugness from Canadians on this forum is only playing into widely held negative impressions of us on here.

Interesting article by an American who relocated to Canada (Welcome to Canada) here:

salon.com/opinion/feature/20 … index.html

Why is it the political lefties think democracy works ONLY when their party wins?

I just hope that they understand that the term liberal has a different connotation up North.

Here’s the link for the CNN story.

[quote]Top 10 Reasons to Move to Canada
WHY MOVE TO CANADA?
Reasons to move to Canada, as cited by www.canadianalternative.com:

1. Canada has universal public health care.

2. Canada has no troops in Iraq.

3. Canada signed the Kyoto Protocol environmental treaty.

4. More than half of Canada’s provinces allow same-sex marriage.

5. The Canadian Senate recommends legalizing marijuana.

6. Canada has no law restricting abortion.

7. Canada has strict gun laws and relatively little violence.

8. The United Nations has ranked Canada the best country to live in for eight consecutive years.

9. Canada abolished the death penalty in 1976.

10. Canada has not run a federal deficit since 1996-97. [/quote]
    :canada:

A dissenting view:

boston.com/news/globe/living … no_canada/

the basic social contract implicit in a democracy is that you agree to abide by the results of the elections in which you take part. the people who want to run away whenever they don’t get the results they want in an election are not people who can contribute constructively to american democracy. so, to our canadians friends, you’re welcome to have them. not really a fair trade to give you disgruntled hippies in exchange for all the doctors and nurses we siphon off every year, but it’s the best we could do. i hope they don’t end up sending their kids back here for college, though. would hate to have my kids endure having to listen to some haughty canadian classmates tell them how much better canada is than the us every single freaking minute of the day. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Maoman”]Here’s the link for the CNN story.

[quote]Top 10 Reasons to Move to Canada
WHY MOVE TO CANADA?
Reasons to move to Canada, as cited by www.canadianalternative.com:

1. Canada has universal public health care.

[/quote][/quote]

Right. Very useful I guess.

[quote]My mother noticed a lump in her breast and was told three times by her oncologist (one of only three in all of Montreal, a city of two million people) that it was

“C’mon up, eh?”

Canada has universal public health care ( if you don

This wasn’t meant to be smug at all. In fact I posted it simply as a piece of information. In saying what do you think, I meant, more why is it happening. Also, the title of my post was changed by a moderator, I simply called it a piece of information. NOT Disgruntled Americans…

This thread was not intended to bash either Americans or Canadian. Although I find it very surprising that once again it has turned into that.

Maybe everyone should drop there defenses a little and try to discuss the issue without insulting the other nation.

Those Americans wishing to flee the horrible United States for my wonderful country that is so wonderful and where people will waste no opportunity to remind you how wonderful it is because it is so wonderful, maybe you should read this letter to the editor published in the Toronto Sun November 15th:

[quote]My mother noticed a lump in her breast and was told three times by her oncologist (one of only three in all of Montreal, a city of two million people) that it was

:sunglasses: Wow, some people need to cool off. I wouldn’t mind living in Canada if it weren’t so cold (Miami native speaking). But I agree that Americans who leave the country for any reason are doing a disservice. It’s a democratic country, so if the political climate is obviously reactionary at the moment we intelligent lefties (there’s a lot of idiots on both sides) have to work for change. It’s just childish to leave unless, say, your government wanted you to sacrifice your life for something you didn’t believe in.
:s But Canada does have a lot of things to admire, notably the health care system (Americans pay more than anyone else on health care but our system is rated 22nd-and our system is way too expensive for most people to really afford. How many people can really afford insurance?) When I lived in Costa Rica I found the health care system better than anything I’d experienced in the States, and I wasn’t a resident. We pay an absurd amount of money on taxes: yet unlike Europe we don’t get it back (instead we build urinals in Iraq).
Also, the lack of guns. The rabid NRA can rave all they want about guns, but I know I’d be a lot safer in Canada than in the U.S. I have taught classes to the sound of gunfire in Washington DC - very surreal.
But Canada (and other countries) could learn a lot from the US. For example, other than Celine Dion what music talent does Canada have? I mean, OK, they’re not as bad as European pop music which is probably the worst form of music in world history (except maybe child singers on Spanish TV) :astonished: .

Bad, bad sbmoor…you should never leave the U.S. for any reason - remember. When I can dig up the email address for the millions of disgruntled Americans who are living abroad I will let them know they should go back to the U.S. immediately. :smiling_imp:
(Sure every American living abroad is not disgruntled but obviously they felt some need to live the country… :wink: ) - Personally I was disgruntled.
Chewycorns…
I think Canada is the target because it’s so close to the U.S.
It is hardly the only place in the world worth emigrating to.

Maybe you ought to better familiarize yourself with the current state of Canadian healthcare.

[quote]Canada faces shortage of doctors

A report by the association analyzing the shortfall shows Canada has 2.1 physicians per 1,000 residents, ranking it 25th out of 30 countries in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, a forum that assesses economic and social policy.[/quote]

msnbc.msn.com/id/5747830/

[quote]Her regular doctor suffered a stroke a year ago, and all the local doctors she has contacted say they cannot take new patients, so now Pacione, a retired bookkeeper, goes to a walk-in clinic whenever she has an emergency. At the clinic, she waits hours and sees a different doctor each time, and no one there is familiar with her medical history and what drugs she has been taking.

“If you are not bleeding all over the place, you are put on the back burner,” Pacione said. “Unless, of course, you have money or know somebody.”

Whitby has only 63 family doctors to care for its 110,000 people (medical officials and local officials say at least 16 more are needed), and many residents drive 45 minutes or more to Toronto for basic medical care. Whitby is one of 136 communities, encompassing a total of a million people in Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, that are not adequately served by family doctors, according to the Ontario Medical Association. That is up from 100 communities in 2000.

Whitby officials estimate that 22,000 people there have no doctor at all, forcing them to go to emergency rooms at overcrowded local hospitals to wait in line for as long as four hours simply to refill a prescription, get a doctor’s note for an employer or care for their flu symptoms.

“It’s like winning the lottery to get in and see the doctor,” Mayor Marcel Brunelle said. “This is a very wealthy country. What happened to bring the situation to this point?”[/quote]

startribune.com/

canadausemployment.com/news061302-02.htm

[quote=“PinyinizerFilterDefeating Moocha Man”]Comrade you don’t actually believe the shit you post do you?

The guy’s mother noticed a lump and was not sent for ultrasound or a mammogram? Right. That’s bullshit and you know it. Or plain and simply was incompetence on the doctor’s part which can happen under any system.

As for radiation it is not uncommon to wait several months. Not ideal but then we are talking about a procedure that reduces the risk of cancer re-accuring by a few percentage points over a 10 year period. A few months aren’t going to affect the equation much. [/quote]
Hmm. And you got your medical degree where . . . ?