Disinformation Governance Board - i.e., the Nina Goebbels thread

I think everyone is missing the point here.

Here comes another wasteful government agency that will be filled with friends of people in Washington with comfy government salaries and pensions. Watch for the insane budget and watch them waste a few millions to research what’s the most popular hashtag used when people tweet shitting at their toilet and how that contributes to white supremacy.

3 Likes

It will be (and is already) a waste of government money.
Who is setting the rules of this Disinformation Governance Board?
Who is defining what “disinformation” is?
Who will govern this governance board to make sure what they say is “disinformation” is not also disinformation? Will DGB also govern the CIA, NSA, FBI, and other letter agencies who carry out “disinformation” activities? Or is that something people who support DGB believe never ever happens in U.S. government, whose information can never ever be considered “disinformation”?

1 Like

There’s no chance the Ministry of Disinformation will confine itself to advising us what’s true and what isn’t because it will soon tire of being mocked or ignored.

1 Like

It’s going to look like the Department Of Natural Resources…isn’t it…

1 Like

A blind raccoon with Down syndrome. How the fuq they know that?
I don’t wanna know. Jeesh.

What would make you happy here @Malasang88 ? Remove the mention of Goebbels in the title? Because if that’s the case, I think @KHHville will be reasonable enough to do so for the sake of civil debate.

The rollout that doesn’t clearly define your objective is terrible which leads to this type of speculation. You see the author making good points, and I see one long tirade of confirmation bias. I’d like to just find an honest discussion (in the media) that takes out all the overtly partisan BS and discusses what a body like this could do that was useful or how that could be potentially misused. I see a whole lot of one sidedness instead.

Conservatives always complain about agencies being a waste but then cheer on things like Space Force. I thought the same thing when the Dept of Homeland Security so I’ll reserve judgement until I know what it actually does.

This statement is hard to take serious. DGB is going to govern the FBI, CIA sounds like the usual hyperbolic nonsense. This is the rampant speculation I am referring to.

What I have read is the focus will be on foreign disinformation. If the government was identifying propaganda campaigns from the Chinese government, sources of Russian troll farms, AI and bots that would all generally be useful for the public to know about. I wouldn’t expect a private company like TikTok to do it themselves.

All of this complaining and we all live in a country (most of us do) where you will receive a hefty fine for spreading misinformation about Covid/vaccines etc. Perhaps direct your energies elsewhere?

No, as you may or may not have noticed, I do not flag posts, ask for them to be taken down, or ask for them to be changed. I’d like simply like to reserve the right to call out how unproductive and ridiculous they are.

I would like a discussion of benefits or not of the board, but clearly they need to explain what they’re supposed to be doing first. I’d think you’d need a new thread to do that.

Before you get to the benefits, in the US and due to the fact you have a constitution and 1st Amendment rights, you need to get past the legality of it. Mayorkas recently had a back and forth with Rand Paul and used an example of claims covid FEMA vaccination centers were distributing Fentanyl.

So his reply goes on to say that FEMA would then be directed to issue a statement correcting that disinformation, which seems fine.

The question then is, do they contact Twitter, Facebook and Google demanding big tech issue a warning or tag on posts or reports that FEMA distribution centers are spreading fentanyl? That might seem fine too.

But then you get one step further, does the Government ask big tech to ban (or censor) individuals making the claim? Because if that is what they did in the breaking story of Hunter Bidens laptop (people were getting banned for mentioning it), if that was done at the behest of the Bidens or a Government agency you have a clear violation of Government overreach and a 1st Amendment violation and violation of the law. Elon Musk might be able to clear that last one up for us.

Blah blah blah me me me

When controversy over this new Disinformation Board erupted, CNN claimed that Jankowicz was “a disinformation expert with experience working on Ukraine and Russia issues.” Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas appeared on CNN to exalt her as “eminently qualified, a renowned expert in the field of disinformation." What does that even mean? What is the “field of disinformation,” and how does one become an “eminently qualified renowned expert” in it? Is there some graduate program or new field of discipline one must study? Is there a licensing board that certifies one as a “disinformation expert” or scholarship one demonstrates? Which credentials constitute "expertise” in disinformation?

It would be awesome to get these answers, even the spin would be telling.

Interesting times it must’ve been for Nina G to be in Kyiv [starting?] in the summer of 2017 as a communications adviser to Ukraine’s foreign ministry as part of a yearlong Fulbright fellowship.
Ahh. Great times. Wonder what happened then in relation to Hunter?
No, don’t go there. Anything about Hunter is disinformation.

That is again speculation. Did Mayorkas say that? Again no, he said they would disseminate the correct information and have FEMA disseminate correct information. Rand Paul then he says he can do that but he relies on the American people.

Well if there is information out there that there is fentanyl in the vaccines and the government is not making a statement to correct then I don’t expect every American to figure that out. I do think it would be helpful for the government to send factual based information.

Slippery slope.

I don’t think Elon Musk is going to be the hero you want him to be. Nor do I think TikTok can be relied upon to let their users know that CCP propaganda is all over their platform.

We agree, but some signs seem to indicate they have been doing this already.

I’m not expecting any such thing from him and made it clear in previous posts, would be nice, but he a businessman, I suspect he bought it for business reasons.

I just don’t see the issue here. OP came on strong with the thread title and his opinions. His biases are right there and not hidden. That’s fine. It’s just his opinion.

Anybody is presumably welcome to come in with their own opinions.

And for me, yeah I do agree it’s pretty creepy by the sounds of it. Having a government agency for this stuff is super, super open to abuse. But actions will tell.

I presume some of the stated aims like Russian troll farms etc, are already under the purview of NSA, FBI and other agencies.

I still think the same about it with how useless the TSA is for example.

1 Like

Yes anybody is welcome to opinions. Thank you for sharing. Anybody else is also welcome to call those opinions hyperbolic BS.

See how that works?

You seem to have a basic trust in ordinary organs of government to label and act upon “disinformation”. That’s fine, but many people don’t have the same sense of trust, at this point or at any point. What you see as “one-sidedness” is simply a different opinion on this question.

2 Likes