Disney's Mulan

Boycotting Mulan. I didn’t forget. But not sure if it counts as a boycott if I wouldn’t have watched it to begin with…

1 Like

Oh hell no, please!

Doesn’t count.

1 Like

I’m also boycotting Wendy’s and Chipotle (because they’re not in Taiwan)

1 Like

That’s what I’ll be doing.

When I heard it was going to be PPV I immediately thought $5 to $8 max. Then I read $30 and thought this is going to be the most pirated movie ever. Stupid price point

4 Likes

Wow, I’d love to pay for a subscription to Disney+ just so that I can have the privilege of sending Disney an extra $30.

I don’t even make US$30/hour. Even if watching the film is the most glorious hour of entertainment I’ve ever experienced, the only thing I’d be thinking throughout the entire film would be, “I’m spending money faster than I’m earning it!”

3 Likes

Saw the new Mulan last night. It was awful. Probably the worst live action adaptation Disney has done to date.

When I got home I pulled up rotten tomatoes and saw the critics gave it a 80% and the audience score was 41%. (Had a “Last Jedi” flashback, ugh)

It’s supposedly a “love letter to China” but I doubt even China will like this movie. Really interested to see what China’s overall reaction to it will be.

3 Likes

China doesn’t need “love letters” right now. It needs hate mail. I’ll wait to see the movie that critics declare is an “anthrax letter to China.”

6 Likes

It’s on streaming today in Disney I’m sure it’s not free

1 Like

Disney is hoping to cash in with China’s domestic cinema revenue. Even a flop makes a bundle just by the number of theaters the movies are released in.

I am actually disappointed the movie is showing here. I know Taiwanese, especially business people, are a bit time deaf but seriously, it is being a bit out of touch. Hope it does not last a week, unless the pro China camps make it mandatory to watch for school or something like that.

1 Like

There’s a China based movie review site called “Douban” and it seems Mulan isn’t doing too well with a 5.9/10

Mulan is currently at 5.4/10 on IMDB.

You’re right though, even if it flops Disney will have already raked in a ton of money.

As for Taiwan, I am not 100% sure on this, but when I tried to see Mulan in Taipei it was not showing on any of the larger screens like the Huge “Titan” screen in Xinyi. They only played Mulan in regular screen and the MuCrown one which is just with couches/recliners.

1 Like

Its paid for a month or so afterwards its free for anyone with the subscription. I’m not gonna encourage anyone to break the law but please don’t pay for this movie. Don’t watch and if you really want to there are other ways to watch it.

3 Likes

wow so much for the boycott.

some choice responses from the vat of human filth that is twitter.

in fairness there were quite a few boycotters replying too. What about taiwanese? i’m surprised there is even one person going to see this movie in taiwan. taiwanese should be the first people to boycott this…

3 Likes

I’m not going to boycott but I also wont be paying $35 for a movie. Disney is off their rocker thinking that many people are going to pay that outrageous price and not pirate it.

1 Like

I haven’t seen the movie… but I liked this review, which calls the movie “China-focused” and “underwhelming.”

I don’t think I’ll bother watching it. Five years from now, when I’m really bored, I might think about it.

2 Likes

This recap from the review makes it sound ridiculously stupid.

“*This new Mulan, played by Chinese actor Yifei Liu, isn’t just a regular girl who takes her father’s place in the Imperial Army and triumphs despite her fear and physical limitations. No, in this version, she’s special .

“Mulan” takes a character whose courage and honor in the face of adversity made her a hero and gives her superpowers. No longer a regular girl, Mulan now has an abundance of “qi” (aka “chi”), which, for the purposes of the film, means she has some kind of superhuman balance and strength that only men are supposed to have.

In the world of “Mulan,” a man with qi is a true warrior, but a woman with qi is a witch — as embodied by Li Gong’s Xianniang, whose abundance of qi gives her the power to shape-shift into birds and fight with superhuman precision and skill. Xianniang is introduced as a sort of cautionary tale about what happens when a woman refuses to hide her qi and is cast out by society.*”

1 Like

I see a lot of subtle Chinese propaganda in movies these days.

1 Like

And some not-so-subtle.

Yes, China has morally compromised Big Hollywood. They push for new additional scenes centering on heroic Chinese characters, and have final say on what gets cut or censored… and if the studios don’t play ball, they can kiss the huge Chinese Box Office goodbye.

This is an excellent analysis of China’s dastardly intervention in American blockbusters. Think about it the next time you watch a MCU film and you notice awkward scenes with a shoehorned Chinese scientist helping the heroes…

4 Likes

China censoring the right to freedom of speech in the US , how ironic… Well it is great Hollywood does not have the power it once did before the advent of social media. :grinning: