Disrespectful or not?

I have a very elderly relative who’s at death’s door and my dad has let it be known that I’m going to inherit a sum of money (although he hasn’t told me how much) upon said relative’s death. I have never been close to this relative, for reasons I won’t go into here.

Money has never really been a motivating factor for me (I’m a teacher here :wink: ) just prefering to be comfortable. I can’t really see past my considerable student debt at the moment so this could potentially be a godsend to get me back to square one.

What I want to know is am I being disrespectful in planning for the future with what I may or may not have? Or is it just common sense? I’m pretty uncomfortable with thinking about money and “what I should do when xxx dies” as to me it may seem to others that I’m waiting for death (which I’m not). But on the other hand, there’s the argument to say that this could be my only chance to (potentially) get on the property market and planning for the inevitable is good common sense…

What say you? Am I correct to think its disrespectful or not?

Don’t count your trust funds before they are initiated.

If your relative was thoughtful enough to give you some, money, then they wanted you to use it for something you felt was worthwhile. No harm in thinking about what might be ‘worthwhile’.

You should think about thanking them as well.

It’s not disrespectful to think about what you’d do with the money, but it’s foolish to count on it. Maybe it will go to someone else. Maybe it’s a lot less than you figured. Maybe it’ll all go to creditors, taxes, or??? Maybe you’ll die before he does. Anything could happen.

Live your life exactly as you would without expecting anything from anyone. If some day you inherit something, great, enjoy it then.

But, it would be disrespectful to talk to the geezer about it (ie. Is it true I’m going to inherit your dough? How much is it?)

What will be will be.

Don’t mentally spend anything in your head until you know exactly how much you’re getting.

[quote=“Elegua”]Don’t count your trust funds before they are initiated.

If your relative was thoughtful enough to give you some, money, then they wanted you to use it for something you felt was worthwhile. No harm in thinking about what might be ‘worthwhile’.

You should think about thanking them as well.[/quote]

Yeah thats kind of my point, I’m not counting on anything particularly, but thoughts do cross a persons mind.
Of course, I will thank them for the gesture

What they said. Money not yet inhereted is always best left out of mind. If it happens, great. If not, it was never yours in the first place.

It’s like counting on death insurance.