Divorce and Home Ownership Question

Hey there,

I am married to a Taiwanese man. I am from USA. We were married 3 years ago and bought a house in 2019. The house is under his name and the mortgage too. I have put over 50% into the apartment so far i.e. deposit, refurbishments and mortgage payments.

In the event of a divorce, would I be entitled to 50% of the value of the apartment or does he get to keep everything?

Thanks

Sara

1 Like

There are lawyers for this kind of things.
LAF of local governments provide legal counselling for free, if you prefer not to pay.

Thank you for getting back to me Tando. I would also like to hear from other foreigners who have bought a property with a Taiwanese national and then gone through a divorce.

I guess the same laws with locals are applied to a divorce between Taiwanese & foreigner.

If you read Chinese, this kind of pages may answer to your question.

2 Likes

Do not sign anything regarding divorce until this is settled. Once you sign…all is lost.

Gather all paperwork regarding how much you put in the house.

Get a good lawyer. You’ll need it. Laws are … different.

You bought the house after married,
and pay everything over 50%.

You will have 50% of the value of the house!
Just get ready for the receipts you paid for the house,
bank’s deposit book may have some records show how many you paid.

But in only one situation maybe a little different,
that is you and he went to the court or the notary personally and make a “notarial certification” for Separate property system after you married and before you bought the house.
Hope you didn’t make that “notarial certification” for Separate property system. It will make things get complex a little.

But everything will be fine if you keep every receipts and payment records.