Divorce + kids + ARC - The Perfect Storm!

Not so easy to get the APRC without the help of the wife, but possible yes. A few years back to get an APRC through marriage they sometimes insisted on joint interviews etc

You don’t need a wife to get an APRC.

Well…I’m dealing with a hillbilly branch of the NIA right now and they are demanding some ridiculous things that aren’t on the list of requirements that do involve requiring a wife’s cooperation. Unfair and not an actual requirement per the official checklist. I caught them in a lie when they tried to say that it was “a new requirement”. It’s not.

You can never rule out NIA officers trying to change rules or add new requirements from their own personal fiefdoms. I’m in the process of launching a complaint against this particular branch at the headquarters. Looks like a clear case of discrimination. I’ll give full details once things are resolved.

10 Likes

Not a solution I know, but you could temporarily rent a tiny room in Taipei, change your ARC address to there and then deal with the Taipei NIA staff instead, who are much more knowledgeable about the process. You can even change your ARC address with an Airbnb receipt, I have done it in the past.

4 Likes

That’s absurd. Report them for spreading lies.

You need 5 years of consecutive stay in Taiwan, with the relevant visa crap, to qualify.

Needing a wife is horseshit.

Perchance the jobsworth doesn’t understand the difference between an APRC and a JFRV.

1 Like

Really glad you can go APRC route instead. Remember the wife cannot force you to sign anything.

Moreover, if you go the kid route, you can’t apply afterwards for APRC and will be deported once kid hits 18. So don’t.

isn’t it possible if you clear the income requirement?

OP definitely should get his APRC before signing the divorce papers, though.

2 Likes

I know someone fighting the system on that regard. Does not look good. They keep repeating: not possible.

APRC is best.

Really? That doesn’t make sense to me. Somebody has been on a JFRV, albeit through a child not a spouse, and has been earning enough but is somehow denied the chance of an APRC?

What reason was given with your friend? Is the JFRV somehow less valid because it was through a child?

If a JFRV is cancelled, your clock is reset. Your corresponding years make no difference towards your APRC. Taiwan’s shit visa laws.

That’s why you would be an utter dumbfuck to opt for a JFRV if you have an APRC in sight.

2 Likes

Yep, that once it was over -meaning when last kid was of age-, it couldn’t be extended or changed. Not even for nationality. It was over and out.

Unless you are SE Asian, they never check anyways.

1 Like

yup as I said it helps. :sunglasses:

A JFRV sponsored by a family member other than a spouse is different when it comes to getting an APRC? This is the first I’ve heard of this rule.

Anyone getting divorced should bear this in mind.

I’m clearly being thick here. Surely one would get an APRC before the JFRV is cancelled. So, before one’s child hits 18 one gets an APRC.

Or, is the rule that a child sponsored JFRV cannot be changed to an APRC?

Your friend didn’t change to an APRC before their last kid was of age, yeah?

They told her so.

She tried. They said no. She even tried nationality. They still said no. With job yeah.

when this happened? Recently?

Last time was a couple years ago.

Did your friend already leave here?

This is two years ago, so hopefully something is different now.
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5385/7229/7238/145137/

This is four years ago
https://www.cy.gov.tw/News_Content.aspx?n=213&s=7657

依現行法規,離婚後在臺繼續居留的外籍配偶於子女成年時,若尚未歸化我國國籍或取得永久居留權,即會面臨到必須離境而被迫與子女分離的處境,違反兩公約所稱「家庭團聚權」的基本權利,目前已有具體案例發生。內政部移民署雖以個案方式解決,但截至104年12月底止,外籍配偶於離婚後因取得未成年子女監護權或有未成年子女而獲准繼續居留人數計有1,031人,其中近9成迄未辦理歸化或永久居留,可預見未來類此案例勢必逐漸增加,移民署除應加強法令宣導外,並應積極採取補救措施,使長久合法在臺居留的單親外籍配偶獲得穩定的身分保障。

1 Like