Divorce looming - need some help

Thanks for the site. I saw this on that site:

“6. Either Income Tax (or Tax-exempt) Certificates for the past year or Certificates of skill, talent, or financial assets.”

so I am guess just the last year

thank you

“Certificates of skill, talent”

• I’m surprised nobody talks more about this ‘way in’ to Taiwan’s APRC… Many people may not have half a mil dollars in assets, and (at this stage) I certainly don’t earn the minimum annual income… So ‘Certificates of skill, talent’ maybe a good option if I have a Masters Degree in TESOL or similar… ALSO, assessing people on qualifications is how most other countries do permanent residency… So I’d appreciate any further info… For example, exactly what academic/professional skills are valued by Taiwan (for APRC)?

[quote=“timmyjames”]Thanks for the site. I saw this on that site:

“6. Either Income Tax (or Tax-exempt) Certificates for the past year or Certificates of skill, talent, or financial assets.”

so I am guess just the last year

thank you[/quote]I apologize for not seeing and replying to your post sooner. The financial requirements for the APRC are for just for the previous 1 year to your application. It used to be the past 3 years, but the NIA changed it in 2009, so now you only have to show a total income of $420,000 NTD for the past year. That’s simple. I mean who doesn’t make over $420,000 NTD/year? Oh…as long as you haven’t been under reporting your income…(read cheating taxes) :no-no:

So, if you are applying for the APRC in 2011, you simply need to have your official tax documents for the 2010 tax year to state that you grossed $420,000 or higher in order to qualify for the financial aspect of applying for the APRC. I recommend that you look at the APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)thread and make your postings there instead of in this abstract divorce looming thread. No one who knows anything about the APRC is likely to see your questions in here. :bow:

[quote=“glenclif1969”]“Certificates of skill, talent”

• I’m surprised nobody talks more about this ‘way in’ to Taiwan’s APRC… Many people may not have half a mil dollars in assets, and (at this stage) I certainly don’t earn the minimum annual income… So ‘Certificates of skill, talent’ maybe a good option if I have a Masters Degree in TESOL or similar… ALSO, assessing people on qualifications is how most other countries do permanent residency… So I’d appreciate any further info… For example, exactly what academic/professional skills are valued by Taiwan (for APRC)?[/quote]I have personally processed 6 APRC applications and the FAP (no longer in charge) and the NIA have ONLY been interested in annual earned income or the personal financial assets aspect for approving APRCs. They want to make sure that you have been actively working, legally, legally reporting your income, and paid the appropriate taxes on said income for the period in question. Not once have I been asked or required to provide any certificates of skills, university diplomas, or the like. They couldn’t give a toss about my any of my skills, degrees, or practical experience when I applied. I had certified copies of all my university degrees etc, and all they wanted were the past 5 years of income / tax statements. That was back in the day of the FAP being in charge though and now the NIA only requires your income statement for the previous 1 year to applying for the APRC. So, if you are applying in 2011, your official income statment needs to indicate that you have successfully earned no less than $420,000 NTD gross for the 2010 tax year. That’s peanuts, unless you’ve been under reporting your taxes, which tons of people do, and then regret later when they decide to apply for the APRC. If you want to know more about the APRC and how to apply for it, I suggest you peruse the APRC Procedures (Official Checklist) where you can get responses from all the APRC duty experts like Chris, Icon, A-ha, Fortigurn, etc.

Northcoast Surfer: “They couldn’t give a toss about my any of my skills, degrees, or practical experience when I applied.”
----- And judging by the PM that you also sent me (thanks very much) which mentioned the level of your academic education, I’d say ANY modern country should have been all too willing to assess your application as skills based. This total lip-service to skills based migration is a REALLY SAD REFLECTION on Taiwanese society; — For example, how further education is NOT valued (because your Lau Ban will not give you any more money for that MA or even PhD, — and still treat you like shit), and consequently not many TW people see any value in going back to College or Uni to update/upgrade their skills.

Northcoast Surfer, from your post, it appears that this lack of value on tertiary/higher skills goes all the way up to government and immigration level. Taiwan is a sad case of paying great lip service to Confucius and Buddhist values of ‘always learning’… The truth is, MONEY means everything, as MONEY is believed to bring OVERNIGHT SUCCESS without having to do any work… Breeds a socially and professionally undeveloped nation of lazy, incompetent fools. YES, YES - There are many Universities here (many should be still classified as colleges), but I also know the quality of courses at many of these same Universities, and how the Degree is MOSTLY ABOUT STATUS, and doesn’t reflect in any great difference to pay. Please excuse my long rant (if I was too long), but after being here for just over four years, these are issues that I am still trying to get my head around… Perhaps their IS no way around them, so just get the APRC and do stuff in Taiwan that’s right for me, and forget the craziness of wider Taiwan society.

Really… funny about that as I got joint custody for my son registered at a court and the household registration office… twas a long time ago though

Me too, PGDaddy is spreading false information.

According to SatTV’s divorce document, he did get joint custody for his son. Check the proof out here on the 4th posting of this link. -------->.

According to SatTV’s divorce document, he did get joint custody for his son. Check the proof out here on the 4th posting of this link. -------->.[/quote]

Damn Northcoast Surfer you are a damed miracle I had forgotten I had even posted that on here. I also know many other foreigners who got divorced here who got custody of the children. There was a German Chap that took his child and left Taiwan many years ago it made the news.

But yes PGdaddy is not one to be the sole authority just because he fucked up and has decided it always goes that way. Mr He also has his story to tell as well. All is not gloom and doom for foreigners getting divorced in Taiwan

Mr He and Sat TV- a joint custody agreement signed out of court between the two parties, and legalised in court/ the family registration office, or a court order awarding joint custody ? In your cases. There’s a world of difference between the two. And I was talking about the latter, although I can see how my words could have been miscontrued.

Yes Sat TV, we have all read you drone on and on about the ranks of foreign men in Taiwan who have won custody of their children. I have no doubt that some exist and I have met one or two myself.

But if you want to paint a picture that all is rosy, that a foreign father stands a fair chance of getting justice in the family courts in Taiwan, then it’s you that is doing the misleading, not me.

[quote=“pgdaddy1”]Mr He and Sat TV- a joint custody agreement signed out of court between the two parties, and legalised in court/ the family registration office, or a court order awarding joint custody ? In your cases. There’s a world of difference between the two. And I was talking about the latter, although I can see how my words could have been miscontrued.

Yes Sat TV, we have all read you drone on and on about the ranks of foreign men in Taiwan who have won custody of their children. I have no doubt that some exist and I have met one or two myself.

But if you want to paint a picture that all is rosy, that a foreign father stands a fair chance of getting justice in the family courts in Taiwan, then it’s you that is doing the misleading, not me.[/quote]

No the Eiger Law guys are the ones claiming that, however they are merely lawyers, what do they know?

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 2#p1273042](Some answers about divorce in Taiwan

And also, what would you call justice and to whom? As Eiger’s post points out, there are no winners in a divorce court battle, and the courts might have other reasons to deny joint custody.

Also, you can and should try to remain logical and cool even during a divorce battle, it helps.

Claiming what ? Sorry, I can’t see any mention in this link that you posted to Eiger John’s comments about the joint custody issue, maybe you can point us to the right place.

[quote=“Mr He”]
And also, what would you call justice and to whom? As Eiger’s post points out, there are no winners in a divorce court battle, and the courts might have other reasons to deny joint custody. [/quote]

I agree, there are no winners- that’s stating the blindingly obvious to anyone that has been through divorce where children are involved. So what’s your point ? You say that you signed a joint custody agreement with your ex. If she honoured the agreement, then she is a reasonable person. Good for you- I would say that she is more reasonable than the average Taiwanese woman in that situation. I assume that you didn’t need to go to court to try to enforce your agreement. If you had, then you would have understood what I mean about justice.

[quote=“Mr He”]
Also, you can and should try to remain logical and cool even during a divorce battle, it helps.[/quote]

I did, however frustrating it was because I realised that I was banging my head against a brick wall. The judge himself went to my wife’s office and demanded that she tell him where our son was- and she refused. No meaningful action was taken against her or in my favour and she subsequently won full custody. Where is the logic in that ? Your comment is patronising.