[Divorce] Questions to Cipos

… or to anybody who can answer…!

I am affraid I may go through a divorce soon too. Feel like crying often but better face it. I have the ARC and the work permit, fully legal am I at this time. I cannot get an APRC for some of the papers I cannot provide. I have those little questions that are still in my head and keep on spinning. I better ask them here:

My Taiwan spouse is not in the island at this time, studying in Europe. She claims she can divorce me from abroad. Is that true or she needs to come back here for it?

Will my ARC (valid until 2006) and work permit be cancelled at the same time that the divorce matter is closed?

if my ARC is cancelled at that time, then how long will I be permitted to stay here after the divorce matter is closed?

After all is over, I should be able to come back in Taiwan with a normal visitor visa, right?

I start with these for now, maybe I’d like to ask more next time. Thanks for any answer from anybody.

You should be sure that you get permanent residency before you proceed with any divorce proceedings . . . . . . at least this is my advice if you are planning to stay in Taiwan.

If she has obtained residency in Europe, she should be able to divorce you from there. At least, it works that way in the US.

If she has obtained residency in Europe, she should be able to divorce you from there. At least, it works that way in the US.[/quote]

In Holland she can do it after 1 year.

If she has obtained residency in Europe, she should be able to divorce you from there. At least, it works that way in the US.[/quote]

In Holland she can do it after 1 year.[/quote]

In Nevada it takes only 6 weeks!

OK… Well and good… now say that I want a divorce and I can’t get it here in Taiwan. I then go home to wherever and sue for divorce there. I get it.

I then take the overseas divorce ruling, gets it certified, translated, and go back to Taiwan with it.

While I don’t know what would happen here, one would assume that the Taiwanese authorities will NOT recognize it… Or would they?

[quote=“Mr He”]OK… Well and good… now say that I want a divorce and I can’t get it here in Taiwan. I then go home to wherever and sue for divorce there. I get it.

I then take the overseas divorce ruling, gets it certified, translated, and go back to Taiwan with it.

While I don’t know what would happen here, one would assume that the Taiwanese authorities will NOT recognize it… Or would they?[/quote]

Not necessarily. AFAIK She would be required to divorce here in person. My ex couldnt get the divorce in OZ and just register it here.

That was some time back and of course rules may be different now.