Divorce without witness

I just learned that two witnesses are required for a divorce. My wife and I want to have a mutual divorce but can’t find anyone to be a witness. Is there any way around it?

You can’t find any friends who will do it?

Yes, we have been living years apart and only stayed legally married long enough so that I could get my APRC. Most of our friends don’t even know we are married.

I think that is a very nice move from your wife …

Regarding witness:
Well, as an example ask 2 strangers to help you out. Their ID & chop and probably some money
needs to be involved. Set-up everything and here you go.
I even think, this is doable right at the household regristation office, just ask people at the
elevator on first floor - really should be a big problem.
I know that sound weird, but who cares …

Wondering this myself.
Soon to be ex-wife tells me that Taiwanese don’t like to be divorce witnesses because it’s bad luck. It will be an uncontested divorce.

No real friends or contacts here. Been here a fairly short time, Taidong about six months and now Hualien about six, and pretty much a loner to begin with.

There are a couple of acquaintances I could try but is there not a service that will sign as a divorce witness? Maybe a notary public or even an attorney?

Update: As I suspected there are businesses that specialize in selling their signature for stuff like this.
That could be not bad as a part time job. nt800+ per chop

1 Like