Divorcing - marry again to get JFRV or extend through child?

I already have JFRV through marriage to a Taiwanese girl but I am divorcing soon and wondering if I should get a new JFRV (im marrying my Taiwanese girlfriend in near future) or extend my current one through my child? My child would benefit from my support obviously and I’m leaving my wife on good terms, so what are my chances of extending my current JFRV through my child? Also note I’m not currently living with my child.

I’m not sure I really want to go through a whole new JFRV application process again and maybe there are more requirements because I already had one before… Thanks for any help.

I have heard that there is some kind of legal “cooling off” period between the legalisation of your divorce in Taiwan and your “next marriage”. I believe it’s something like six months, and if it’s for real and not just hearsay it would completely scupper your chances of getting a new JFRV through marriage.

How long have you been married? Have you considered the APRC route?

4 years - I’ve had a JFRV for around 3 years so far. So I don’t think I’m eligible for an APRC… No idea about the cooling off period - is that just if you divorce in Taiwan? What about if you divorce somewhere else?

I’m more interested in the JFRV through child route at the moment, just seems easier. I also have a job and bank account and other things linked to my JFRV ARC, so changing my ARC might cause some problems. Anyone have more info on this?

I would get the PARC, better when you divorce next time.

I don’t really like the PARC because IIRC you can’t leave Taiwan for more than 6 months. Any other ideas?

You can. You just have to apply in advance.
As for a JFRV based on your relationship to your kid, they MIGHT allow it. MIGHT. As far as I remember, it is discretionary, i.e., if they don’t like the cut of your jib they can just refuse you. Or grant it, depending on how they’re feeling.
Most likely, you getting one would probably depend largely on who takes care of the child. They’d be far less likely to allow it, say, if your wife is the principal carer.

Thanks for the info. Do you know where I have to go to do this? Who should I be talking to?

Bureau of immigration are in charge of ARC’s nowadays.

I’ll let you know how it goes, should be interesting. I’m also wondering about how that 6 month cooling off period works - what if I just marry somewhere else like HK or Thailand, would my marriage be invalid in Taiwan? :s

So when I divorce do I have to go to the bureau of immigration right away? Or can I just stay until the end of my JFRV without doing anything?

[quote=“LucaBlight”]So when I divorce do I have to go to the bureau of immigration right away? Or can I just stay until the end of my JFRV without doing anything?[/quote]My personal recommendation is that you should take your divorce papers to the National Immigration Agency the day of your divorce and inform them of your change of status. That’s what I would do. I don’t recommend procrastinating regarding issues of resident status in Taiwan. Remember, your JFRV was granted because you are married to a Taiwan national. The day your marriage ends is the day you are no longer entitled to JFRV status based on marriage. Whether or not you can get it secured through your child is up to the NIA.

Actually, I recall from my divorce that you have 14 days in which to inform the NIA of the change in your status. What they then decide to do with your visa (allow you to remain to the end of its current validity, cancel it, etc.) depends on the whims of the person you meet and your extenuating circumstances, if any.

Sorry, mate. I don’t mean to offend, but as one guy to another, is jumping from one (failed) marriage right into another one really a good idea?
Try and get the JFRV based on your child, and if unsuccessful, seeing as you and the ex are on good terms, why don’t you guys agree to wait until you’ve been here five years to apply for the PARC. As Sandman says, you can leave for more than six months as long as you make arrangements before you depart…

So I went there and at first they said I could stay until the expiry date - but then I said “o rlly?” and so she checked with the evil dragon woman, “nope, no custody no stay”. So I have 30 days from the date of my divorce to apply for a work permit, when my boss applies for one I take the online receipt back to immigration which will give me another 30 days while its processed. During that time I can still work and I’ll get married, apparently the 6 month thing doesn’t apply to waiguoren. Now I’m just thinking the best place to marry, Taipei or HK? Bearing in my mind im a brit, did they sort out that singles certificate mess yet? Maybe if I just show a divorce certificate I won’t need it? Unless they seriously think I got married again in the space of a few weeks :confused:

Bismarck: Well sometimes you just meet the right girl and know she’s a keeper :slight_smile:

I sincerely wish you all the best then! :thumbsup: My wife is also not my first and we’ve just passed three years and still getting better and better together.

All the best.