Divorcing

hi all,

i married a p xiaojie over 5 years ago. Obviously i didn’t know she was a px at the time but she made my life a living hell. Anyway, she did a runner earlier this year and took the kid and herself back to tw without me knowing. Anyway, there is a lot to it and i don’t want to ramble on, but i want to move on.

basically i’ve had enough of the torment, the mental games, the loveless and sexless marriage - so what is the best way for divorce. Do i see a divorce guy in my country, which is where we got married, and they send the papers to her?

thanks

you should notify the courts (assuming your in the US) and sue her. The US government has tremendous influence in Taiwan, and since she is your wife she would be a US citizen and subject to US law, you wouldn’t have any problems. You can sue her for child endangerament and kidnapping, there’s a law like that.

My condolences…

The best person to ask is Northcoast Surfer.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

[quote=“gg1965”]so what is the best way for divorce. Do i see a divorce guy in my country, which is where we got married, and they send the papers to her?

[/quote]

[color=#FF0000]If you are in the US [/color]and have residence in any county for 6 months (except for the State of Nevada, where I think 6 weeks suffices for jurisdiction), generally you simply file a divorce petition with the county court where you live. Your grounds for divorce will be irreconcilable differences, which cannot be contested.

The Court will notify your wife of the petition and she will return a signed affidavit of receipt of the notice. Then, the Court will grant the divorce in approximately 90 days.

This is easiest where no children or property is involved. You indicated that there is a child involved, and that your wife took the child to Taiwan. Obviously, this could complicate things enormously. If you have no property and custody of the child is not an issue and if neither of you seek alimony and if your wife does not seek child support, then the divorce will be easy and completed in approximately 90 days after your wife signs for service of the divorce notice.

Definitely consult an attorney.

First it’s hard to know as you don’t mention which country you are in. Isn’t there a period of time that needs to pass where you can declare her missing?
Not that she is really missing if you can contact her. Where did you get married? In Taiwan or in the country where you are now.
I would file where you are now but do understand that perhaps she will file for support from you. You maybe able to make those arrangements out privately separate to a court divorce. I would file and have the court or your lawyer send her the papers. Custody of your child also needs to be wroked out as well. Court orders from overeas have not been enforced here with regards to getting your child if thats what you so desire.

Sadly there is no best way for a divorce in most cases. You may have to wait a certain period before she can be declared a runner, then you need to send in the Blade Runner.

Short answer: you see a lawyer.

There is no extradition treaty between Taiwan and the US.

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“gg1965”]so what is the best way for divorce. Do i see a divorce guy in my country, which is where we got married, and they send the papers to her?

[/quote]

[color=#FF0000]If you are in the US [/color]and have residence in any county for 6 months (except for the State of Nevada, where I think 6 weeks suffices for jurisdiction), generally you simply file a divorce petition with the county court where you live. Your grounds for divorce will be irreconcilable differences, which cannot be contested.

The Court will notify your wife of the petition and she will return a signed affidavit of receipt of the notice. Then, the Court will grant the divorce in approximately 90 days.

This is easiest where no children or property is involved. You indicated that there is a child involved, and that your wife took the child to Taiwan. Obviously, this could complicate things enormously. If you have no property and custody of the child is not an issue and if neither of you seek alimony and if your wife does not seek child support, then the divorce will be easy and completed in approximately 90 days after your wife signs for service of the divorce notice.

Definitely consult an attorney.[/quote]

Divorce laws are written separately in each state. Maryland, for example, if you have custody and financial agreements, then it takes a full year of living apart to be divorced. If the divorce is contested, it takes two years of living apart. I know because I recently got divorced in Maryland. This ‘90 day’ claim is total nonesense.

[quote=“REPLICANT”]
First it’s hard to know as you don’t mention which country you are in. Isn’t there a period of time that needs to pass where you can declare her missing?[/quote]

It sounds like what you know about the law you learnt off TV. I don’t think there is such a concept as waiting for a period of time before someone can be declared missing.

videojug.com/interview/missing-children-2
missingpersons.gov.au/GetAss … c604cf.pdf

Yes. Divorce laws are written separately in each state. But, as my post indicated, I don’t even know if he is living in the US. I’m not about to post a long explanation for each of the 50 states and the several territories. Also, you might want to read my post again, as I indicated that uncontested divorces can be relatively simple and quick, while contested divorces or divorces involving property and children will often take much longer. I also stated that uncontested divorces can be had in approximately 90 days. So, I don’t know what non[color=#FF0000]e[/color]sense you’re talking about???

All 50 US states indeed do have no-fault divorce. Maryland is a bit more of a problem than most states, but, if uncontested (if the grounds are voluntary separation), Maryland divorce does require a year separation.

Many states do indeed permit 90 day (or less or more) [color=#FF0000]uncontested[/color] divorces:

[color=#FF0000]0 to 20 days[/color]

Hawaii, Maine, Minnesota, Nevada and South Dakota have no listed mandated waiting periods.
Oklahoma requires 10 days
Florida, Idaho, Montana, West Virginia and Wyoming require 20 days.

[color=#FF0000]30 to 60 days[/color]

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri and Oklahoma require 30 days
Ohio has a 42 day waiting period
Arizona, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Nebraska, Texas and Wisconsin require 60 days.

[color=#FF0000]90 to 180 days[/color]

Colorado, Connecticut, Iowa, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont and Washington require 90 days.
Wisconsin has a 120-day waiting period
California, Delaware, Illinois, Louisiana require 180 days.

[color=#FF0000]12 to 18 months[/color]

Maryland, New York, North Carolina require a 12-month waiting period.
New Jersey’s waiting period is 18 months.