DivX/DVD Player in Taipei (ie Philips 642K)

I’ve been looking around for a DivX/DVD player in Taipei and can’t seem to find it, since the storekeepers have no clue what I’m talking about. They’re available online at a few web sites but I’d prefer to take a look at one before buying it.

I few models I’m considering:
Philisp 642K
Liteon 2001/2002
Yamada 6100

Anyone tried looking for one of these before?

You need to go to the AV equipment street. Try around Chonghua Rd and Kaifeng St. Intersections. Or along Kaifeng St and nearby there. Ask for the DVD players by name as they might not know what DIVX is. Stores like FNAC or 3C won’t have these players. But it might be that Chonghua Rd. doesn’t have them either. Ask around that area.

Other DiVX players:

Pioneer DV-470
Toshiba SD340E
Philips DVP630
KiSS DP-1000

Not sure if those models sell in Taiwan. Or they might sell, with slighly different specifications, under a different name.
Depending on your display you may want to pay attention to the video connections, i.e. if your requirement is YUV (Component) out with progressive scan or DVI it might disqualify some of the models mentioned.
Based on my experience it is difficult to get branded models modified for multi-region support.

The Philips 642K is available in Taiwan, but it’s a bit pricier than in the US. About 3900 NT vs US $80.

Local ones include:
Arlink MP-530
Pony ???

Now the trick is to find a place that actually has these on display to test one out…

I just got a Philips 642 and it rocks. Amazon in USA is about $63 including shipping and tax… to USA… then I stuck it in my suitcase and got on the plane. Suggested accessories: www.skype.com (2 or 3 cents a minute to most of western civilization (I think it would be a good idea)), Ritek DVD blanks, and hinet Industrial level DSL. You can download and burn 6 movies onto one DVD, then pop it into the Philips and it plays 90% of the avi and mpg etc formats. Enjoy.

You do realise posts encouraging illegal activity breach the rules, right?

Yes, I am aware of the rules (now). However, a close reading of my post above, I have clearly not proposed anything illegal. I’ve simply said, you can download movies from the internet and watch them on the Philips. Of course, never download any copyrighted movies. Or mp3s for that matter. Incidentally, the Philips plays mp3s too, quite a few of them fit on a DVD. Though I’m not sure it handles the double-layer DVDs.

Does anyone have any updated info. on DivX/DVD players? There are alot of them at this site divx.com/hardware/browse.php?c=1 but there seem to be very few of them available here. LG is making a few cool models, and so is Philips. Does anyone have one here? Any suggestions? (besides the posters from last year)

I have an LG that I grabbed for 3,000 NT, that handles MP3s, Vcds, SVCDs, WMA, Divx, DVDs, motion Jpeg, DVD-R/-RW/+R/RW, pirate discs from China, CDs and CDrs. It’s also progressive scan.

You might be able to find it for cheaper.

I bought it in a 3C ONLY because it plays DIVX (most Xvid files too, but not all).

The DIVX playback is decent. I prefer the playback on a modified X-BOx, but X-Box is a wanky s. o. b. and the lasers die out after a few years, and get ugly along the way.

The model# is DV9923N.

I bought it in Jhunan. I have seen them sold at Blockbuster videos in Hsinchu and Banchiao, Jhunan and Miaoli City.

It’s a solid investment for such a price. I’ve had no problems with my player (It’s 3 months old) and I use it to watch DIVX almost exclusively.

I have another - region free - player that I prefer for DVDs.

For a low cost, technically solid investment I recommend the LG. Solid consumer machine. Pro-sumer: you might want to look around further.

You do realize that you’re wrong to assume that about all of those posting?

There is legitimate DIVX available for download.

LOTS of alternative media outlets are going DIVX for one-time purchase or free distribution. Hell, I distribute my films (as in MY OWN productions) via DIVX-5.

A few independent wrestling promotions have gone DIVX. Movies are relasing downloadable DIVX files for their trailers.

The internet Archive A/V Club has started to go that route too.

ALL are legal and legit, so there’s more to it than your incrimination.

I 'spose you can take yer keds out of your mouth now.

RF: I was looking at that same LG model you got, it’s more expensive at Blockbuster. Like 3800. Is it multiregion? I tried asking them there and just got a blank stare, like they had no idea that DVDs came in different regions.

You do realize that you’re wrong to assume that about all of those posting?

There is legitimate DIVX available for download.

LOTS of alternative media outlets are going DIVX for one-time purchase or free distribution. Hell, I distribute my films (as in MY OWN productions) via DIVX-5.

A few independent wrestling promotions have gone DIVX. Movies are relasing downloadable DIVX files for their trailers.

The internet Archive A/V Club has started to go that route too.

ALL are legal and legit, so there’s more to it than your incrimination.

I 'spose you can take yer keds out of your mouth now.[/quote]
:unamused: com’on we all know what he was talking about.
man, you are working pretty hard for an arguement there. Are you that bored?

It’s not region free. R3 all the way. Pal/NTSC compatible.

I never bothered to look for a hack or anything because I already have three units that are region free anyway (an X-Box, a DVD recorder, and a laptop).

Try 3C for a better price.

[quote=“shifty”]
:unamused: com’on we all know what he was talking about.
man, you are working pretty hard for an arguement there. Are you that bored?[/quote]

:loco:

Come on, we all know what I’M talking about.

He was working pretty hard for an argument there.

Are you that bored to care?

Well that sucks…I definitely want a good unit that is both region free and DivX compatable. Like you said, it could probably be hacked though.

[quote=“Ric Flair”]Come on, we all know what I’m talking about.

Are you that bored to care?[/quote]
Actually the poster I bitched out edited his post after I bitched at him, so you just look like a dick for trying to call me out on it. That’s one of the dangers of trying to look cool by responding to posts made eight months ago.

[quote=“Tetsuo”][quote=“Ric Flair”]Come on, we all know what I’m talking about.

Actually the poster I bitched out edited his post after I bitched at him, so you just look like a dick for trying to call me out on it. That’s one of the dangers of trying to look cool by responding to posts made eight months ago.[/quote]
You also look like a dick for trying to call him on calling him on calling you on calling the OP on it. That’s one of the dangers of trying to look cool by responding to responses to posts made eight months ago. Ad nauseum. Or playing “rule cop”. Become a moderator or get a life.

P.S. Nyah nyah nyah nya nya nyah!

This is looking more and more like looking into the reflection of a mirror in a mirror where it keeps reflecting and there’s like an infinite recursion of mirrors and it makes my brain ache.

Plus I’ve already long since established I’m a dick anyway, so there was no risk in responding.

[quote=“Tetsuo”][quote=“Ric Flair”]Come on, we all know what I’m talking about.

Actually the poster I bitched out edited his post after I bitched at him, so you just look like a dick for trying to call me out on it. That’s one of the dangers of trying to look cool by responding to posts made eight months ago.[/quote]

Dick? :loco:

I think you have a posting history that would allude to your habit of being one, as well as seeing you do live on these forums. 4909 posts in nearly a year and a half.

Rest my case.

I think you missed this:

Basically good luck trying to insult me - you’ll have to work hard to come up with anything nasty to say about me that I haven’t already said about myself. Self-loathing has a surprisingly handy payoff.