DIY bike build in Taiwan

Yea honestly I gave up on trying to maintain bikes after stuff like this. You spend tens of thousands of NT$ on parts, special tools, etc. and you still end up with a worse bike than Youbike. I don’t know how they do it so cheaply. I mean adjusting deraileur and all that seems more art than science, and what works today don’t work tomorrow, like you seem like you need to adjust them daily. I just wonder if they have more reliable drive train systems out there.

Somehow now solved all back to good :+1:
Fuck knows how - all I can think is give it a rest and let it reset itself!
Hope this is not a regular occurrence after reading how bombproof Di2 is before I bought.

1 Like

These electronic systems are actually very reliable if installed correctly. Almost zero maintenance needed. Just don’t crash too badly, and you wont need to buy expensive parts.

1 Like

Installing Di2 at home:

I bought my 11 speed r-8050 Di2 system in the U.K. as a retail pack 34,700ntd. [Merlin cycles U.K.] include new calliper brake cables and sleeves.(https://www.merlincycles.com/) reliable bike retailer had overstocked.
My kit bar end controller and long arm rear derailleur.
The wiring setup is pretty straightforward, mine came with Y adapter cable. Lots of YouTube posts.
I connected all mine up following instructions, charged battery tested before installing and do firmware upgrade.
Shimano etube software not available for MAC however add a Bluetooth module can carry out functions using IOS and Android.

Fitting means stripping bike down, removing forks and bottom bracket, I found I only needed to remove right chain set side,

Left just enough space for me to insert internal 4 cable junction box.
Threading cables through fairly simple using a old rear brake cable and some electrical tape. Once connected test before rebuilding frame set.

Problems occurred:

1. Length of cable from ready kit! The Y cable, only just at a stretch fitting my bars width, cable controller box to right lever again tight stretch, these cables held secured with tape.
  2. Bar end controller? My opinion now I’ve done, have to drill hole in bars, use of Y cable that still needs a connection under the stem, waste of money, possibly 4000ntd saving without. no benefit other than looking cool.
  3. Feeding cable along rear are to rear derailleur, crud blockage! I cleared by feeding through brake cable and end connector through, then flush with water.
  4. Derailleurs not preset, I looked at my old ones identical other than one cable one electric, so I adjusted screws to match, hey presto it worked! Only fine tuning needed.
  5. Not having a tube seat post, no securing kit for Aero post. I jammed battery in with bubble wrap thinking secure :thinking: not the case fell out and damaged connected cable and threw whole system out.

Overall a fairly simple straightforward fitting.

My opinion now in use?
Fantastic! Love the fast selection, especially the front derailleur.
Worth the cost? Debatable:
For hobby leisure rider - expensive luxury.
For the competition rider - essential.
Have more than one bike? You’d only use the one with it fitted :wink: or have em all done.

Congrats on getting it done, and learning along the way! Most kits are UNIVERSAL, I never have the right length cables and have to measure out AFTER the components arrive. I do not recommend that Y cable. You will always have to have at least 1 hole in your handlebars for the bar end controller. As for the battery, use high density foam next time, e tape it to the battery to make it fill the space in where-ever you put it. Cant tell you how many people have to buy new ones after they DIY theirs and the port breaks :frowning: It is not a cheap part. Paint turned out very cool!

1 Like

Damn… I feel envy. I want to have the space and the money required to put together my own bike and let it sleep at home.