DIY install mini split AC?

I have a split AC unit, took it off of my old place. I have successfully sucked the R410A into the condenser unit and then all I had to do is undo the connections. That was easy peasy. Basically on the condenser unit there are two pipes going inside. Open the protective cap and find an allen wrench, close the one with the smaller pipe (there is a large and a small one). Turn the compressor on. Wait until hot air no longer comes out of the condenser unit (the sound will change too). When this happens, close the valve on the larger pipe. Shut the compressor off (leaving it on will damage it). Then you may disconnect the fittings. If you hear a sucking sound then you’ve done this correctly. If gas is leaking out, then you failed and probably contributed to ozone depletion (not to mention illegal but nobody in Taiwan enforces this).

So it looks like all I gotta do is restore the connections, electrical and otherwise, then suck the air out of the system (to prevent moisture from messing with stuff), then release the R410A into the system (after making sure there are no leaks).

For the tonnage they are asking 6000nt minimum for the install, and more if they need longer line. Thing is the new place already has a line that is the exact dimension of my AC unit so all I have to do is flare them out and then put the connector back on (no brazing needed, all screw fittings). The condenser unit will go on the second floor balcony (the landlord lives upstairs and he has given me permission to use that space) because that is also where the other end of the line is. Problem is if I get a professional they are going to insist on brand new lines, and the line is already put into the wall, and so is going to require some demolition to replace.

I can buy the necessary equipment from Taobao, including the R410A, for about 3000. (I don’t need additional freon but just in case it’s good to have some around).

I’ve actually ordered an air powered vacuum device (it draws a vacuum when you run air through it), will see if this will work as this will save me from having to buy a vacuum pump.

What do you think? Worth it? Call a professional?

1 Like

Sounds like a load of aggravation to me - I think I’d rather just pay the extra 3000 and get the job done professionally 差不多.

What I’m concerned about is it will cost way more than 6000 because of the lines needed, it would probably exceed 10 meters. There is already a pair of lines installed in the spot but often those guys will insist on using brand new ones. That’s another 4000+ added to the cost of the install.

I just looked at the evaporator unit and it’s completely sealed in dust. I had to clean it today. Also the condenser unit has the wrong pipe diameter used, and someone just brazed a smaller diameter pipe onto it to fit the condenser unit. I imagine the install guys will have interesting things to say… By interesting I mean the AC guys will add several thousand to the price of the install…

I can just do the work myself and add freon as needed.

By which you mean they might want to do it right?

Seems pretty clear you’re looking to cheap screw this, so go ahead and cheap screw it. :stuck_out_tongue: But this feels like something that’s going to cost you more in the long term screwing around with it than paying up and getting it done right the first time.