DMV won't let me sell my scooter, advice needed

Well I made a classic mistake, I called the government agency responsible (the DMV) and explained the following situation:

“I want to allow my girlfriend to sell my scooter for me after I leave Taiwan. I do NOT have an ARC to give her, but I have my Taiwan driver’s license and my health insurance card, as well as a copy of my passport I can give to her. Is it necessary for me to be there to sell the scooter or can she sell it for me after I leave?”

Answer, oh sure no problem at all, that will be completely fine.

Well you can guess what happened.

Now they tell me that the ONLY way I could ever sell that scooter, is that I have to go to a Taiwan consulate here in the US IN PERSON ( a 4 hour drive from where I am ) to get them to draft a “power of attorney” document that grants her permission to sell the scooter.

I just bought a car in the US, where all you have to do is show up with a signature on the damn title. No wonder there are so many illegal vehicles driving around in Taiwan.

On the bright side, at least there is a solution. Better then you having to fly back to the rock to sell the scoot.

Op another option is to simply try another DMV. Taiwan is weird that way, one will say no and you just try another and they put it through no issues.

This.

If the next DMV is too far. Try different times of day or day of the week at the DMV closest to you.

Different times/day, possibility of a different person behind the counter.

Tell your girlfriend to write a power of attorney, have her stamp it(with the chinese name stamp) and bring all the documents.

EDIT: The stamp needs to be the same one you used when you bought the scooter. Unless you used your thumb

Additionally sometimes scooter shops can get this done for you for a small fee.

Seriously, just get some power of attorney looking document and get it stamped with some stamp. Any stamp. Your stamp. Some stamp.

I had to bring my DL to the embassy and they just photocopied it, applied a notary sheet on top, stamped it with some stamp (nothing really official) and handed it back to me 3 minutes later. I asked the clerk if they ever actually check anything or certify anything. He said no. They just need some paperwork with stamps on it so that is what we provide.

When I was getting my wife’s driver’s license I just kept asking questions about this and that while they were processing the paperwork and they totally overlooked the fact that the name on the DL was completely different than on the passport and ARC. My wife changed her name when she got another citizenship - so DL doesn’t match.

I am sure someone could do a brisk business notarizing documents here. Just get a nice rubber stamp and go at it.