Do Brits suck?

I just read this over at the BBC and just cannot believe it! Someone tell me that this is a “sexed up” report. Please??? :laughing:

(I decided to change the title :laughing: )

Britons and Germans ‘rudest tourists’

British holidaymakers have come a very close second to the Germans in a survey to find the rudest nation of tourists.

As many as 22% of overseas hotel and catering staff thought the British were the rudest customers they had encountered, according to the survey by Caterer and Hotelkeeper magazine.

Only the Germans came out worse, with 23% of 1,000 staff interviewed finding them the least bearable.

Many British tourists were described as “drunken, yobbish, and spitting”, with frequent displays of “arrogance” and “ignorance” when on holiday abroad.

It was even alleged that Britons had a habit of demanding compensation for meals they had already eaten but claimed to not enjoy.

Some accused the Brits of insulting staff and spitting at them, while one waiter claimed to have been threatened with a gun by an unhappy customer.

Continued at:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3185291.stm

British ‘world’s worst tourists’

[quote]They are the rudest, meanest, worst-behaved, most linguistically incompetent and least adventurous holidaymakers, the study published on Friday claims.

But the Germans are generally welcomed and topped the poll of tourist offices in 17 countries worldwide.[/quote]
:stuck_out_tongue:

:laughing:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2137729.stm

[quote=“blueface666”]
Many British tourists were described as “drunken, yobbish, and spitting”, with frequent displays of “arrogance” and “ignorance” when on holiday abroad. [/quote]

I’d never noticed before whilst traveling in Asia, where the Brits seem perfectly fine compared to say, the French or Germans, but in Europe, the Brits are overly self-important, arrogant, and yes, “yobbish”. I was embarrassed for them. :blush:

The thing I found most ridiculous was the footy shirts they wore en masse. They only look good on Beckham, fellas. Please! :unamused: Especially when fifteen of ye are wearin the same shirt. Twinkies!

I do believe that it is unfair to generalize about the Brits. Polls like this are meaningless. We should look at people as individuals. I think these kinds of generalizations are racist and demeaning. I think it is important to distinguish between extremist British tourists and those who are just trying to make the most of their vacations. Besides, is it not ethnocentric to judge what kind of behavior is acceptable when traveling. I mean each group has their own cultural mores, some may like to drink, others may like loud music, etc.

hahahahahahahaha :smiling_imp:

But do you think these extremist Brits should be wiped off the face of the earth, Fred?

Alien:

I am just giving you a hard time, but I am not aware of saying that anyone should be wiped off the face of the earth. Or if I did so, I am sure that I followed it up with a comment that it would be ridiculous, no? Seriously, I am only teasing you. Now let’s go have a martini and discuss the state of the world. I’ll even have a pink one if it will make you happy.

Right now, Fred? I sure could use one!

Can you imagine how utterly boring it is to edit a 2000 word dictionary for Taiwanese school children? ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!
This one written in Singapore using British English that does NOT go over here. With examples like:
“A pair of trainers is so dear nowadays.” !!!

Alien:

Haven’t you a rubber? I shan’t tell you again about leaving rubber crumbs on the table. Have you any petrol for the lorry? Please remember to queue before taking the lift to your flat. Shall I ring you at 8:00 to say "tata. A british dictionary. How naff. I say open a can of whup ass on the mutha fukkas before you 911 jihad their ass. Um that is, Polly shan’t have any supper because she didn’t greet the parson.

That’s so true! Fortunately, those frightful yobs only ever make it as far as Spain or - shudder - the Greek Islands. They don’t want nunna that eggs-o-ick food, innit, and so Asia is pretty much free from their charms. Unlike Faliraki… :shock:

Bobbies Go After ‘Ugly Brits’

Wed August 27, 2003 10:21 AM ET

ATHENS (Reuters) - British holidaymakers may have deserted the cool waters of Blackpool for drunken debauchery in the Greek sunshine but Blackpool, it seems, is coming after them.

The long arm of the northern English resort’s police will reach out to Faliraki this week when a team of three Blackpool officers visits to help authorities on the island of Rhodes tackle raucous British tourists, Greek police said Tuesday.

Three Britons have died in drink-fueled incidents this summer in Faliraki. Its nightclubs and bars are a magnet for hundreds of thousands of young people, and drunkenness and lewd behavior have led locals to brand some the “ugly Britons.”

Britain offered to help out after scandalized Greek authorities cracked down and the news hit headlines back home.

[/quote]

I remember the chief of police of Corfu coming into the bar where I was definitely not working ('cos that would have been illegal) bearing photos of a naked man covered in whipped cream standing on the bar.

Thankfully the bastard that dobbed me in ran out of film before that fat chick from Luton (I think it was) licked it all off for one measly cocktail. Dierdre, her name was. And I shall never forget her.

While the lads may be a bit of a handful there’s not in this world beats British girls on holiday.

And no, Blueface, she didn’t.

And no, Blueface, she didn’t.[/quote]

But you wish she had. :laughing:

Not in front of all those people. I’m a bit of a prude at heart.

Not having travelled much, I don’t know much about BRitish people. They seem perfectly okay to me. Actually, as far as I can tell, the best ones leave ye olde Blighty and become expats around the world. the ones who stay maybe are a bit on the strange side, but have never them. don’t go on holiday very often myself, especailly not to Greek islands.

i guess all people in all countries are assholes. but the ones who leave and get out are the good ones. that’s been my experience blueface666.

[quote=“formosa”]Not having travelled much, I don’t know much about British people. They seem perfectly okay to me. Actually, as far as I can tell, the best ones leave ye olde Blighty and become expats around the world. the ones who stay maybe are a bit on the strange side, but have never them. don’t go on holiday very often myself, especailly not to Greek islands.

I guess all people in all countries are assholes. but the ones who leave and get out are the good ones. that’s been my experience blueface666.[/quote]

my experience, more than a few scot, english, irish persons who left UK to go find a job in Asia are pompous asses, girls and guys. case in point, goto HK’s lan kuai fong.

It’s sad but true, I’m afraid. I sometimes despair at the awfulness of the British rabble, especially when they’re let loose on foreign shores. Even the worst of Taiwan’s red-mawed gravel-truck drivers seem saintly by comparison.

In all my years in Asia, I’ve only ever had one encounter with mindless aggression from yobbos, and of course, the yobbos in question were British. One time many years ago, I was walking with a Chinese man (a respectable middle-aged businessman) in Hong Kong when we heard foul abuse and raucous threats being directed our way. They were coming from a group of drunken British louts, who I’d guess were merchant seamen off a boat in port. They were screaming at me for being a “fuck!ng ch!nk lover” and apparently wanted to kick my head in. Deeming discretion the better part of valour, we hurried away as quickly as we could, before they could pick up their drunken asses from the benches they were sprawled on to come after us. I’ve seldom been more embarrassed in all my life!

Whenever I visit HK, I frequent Ned Kelly’s Last Stand in Kowloon (for Budejovicky Budvar).

I also frequent the Globe (for Belgian brews) and the Dublin Jack (for Guinness). Both the Globe and the Dublin Jack are on the edge of Lan Kuai Fong… but I have no recollection of any encounters with any pompous asses, British or otherwise, at either place.

I did once meet some folks who were friends of my cousin and my brother a few years back at the Dublin Jack… those guys were rugby players there for the Rugby 7s.

What do these Brits do to make them pompous asses?

Tigerman:

Are you a Ned Kelly’s fan? I go there all the time. The best thing besides the crowded conditions which push people to make friends with all the other tables is that I cannot count the number of fun people I have met there or the number of beers that have been sent my way. The last time I was there a bunch of Germans not only paid our whole tab, they added two more pitchers on before they left so we could keep drinking. I guess some Germans are nice unlike you know who. Never had a problem with Brits anywhere in the world either, though, I suppose the drinking does not go over as well in Mediterranean cultures especially when women are involved.

freddy

[quote=“fred smith”]Tigerman:

Are you a Ned Kelly’s fan? I go there all the time. [/quote]

Yes. I go there every time I get to HK… They have Budejovicky Budvar on tap there! I even coaxed the bargirl into giving me two free Budejovicky Budvar glasses … one of which was broke by a drunken English girl at my home not long ago :x …

Alas, I haven’t been to HK for quite a while :cry:

I’ve always prefered the Kangaroo Pub. Great food, fantastic jukebox and VB. :laughing: