Do Chinese speakers express "it makes sense" in some way?

I’m not looking for a translation of “it makes sense”, I’m more interested to know if Chinese speakers express anything similar to this in their daily conversations

A: “I’m going to do xyz.”
B: “Why?”
A: “Because it makes sense.”

or, “Because it’s the logical thing to do.”

It’s not of any grave importance, but if someone has a quick answer my curiosity will appreciate it very much :smiley:

[quote=“tash”]I’m not looking for a translation of “it makes sense”, I’m more interested to know if Chinese speakers express anything similar to this in their daily conversations

It’s not of any grave importance, but if someone has a quick answer my curiosity will appreciate it very much :smiley:[/quote]

有道理 is very common.

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“tash”]I’m not looking for a translation of “it makes sense”, I’m more interested to know if Chinese speakers express anything similar to this in their daily conversations

It’s not of any grave importance, but if someone has a quick answer my curiosity will appreciate it very much :smiley:[/quote]

有道理 is very common.[/quote]

Hmmm…the bear’s answer to your question 有道理

:doh:

有道理 is generally said in agreement to something that had been said by someone else.

For the OP’s purpose, 有意義的 (makes sense or literally “meaningful”) or 理所當然的 (logical or ought to be) would be more appropriate. :2cents:

Thank you!

I’ll try them all out :slight_smile:

[quote=“riceworm”]有道理 is generally said in agreement to something that had been said by someone else.

For the OP’s purpose, 有意義的 (makes sense or literally “meaningful”) or 理所當然的 (logical or ought to be) would be more appropriate. :2cents:[/quote]

well actually in the OP’s dialogue none of them really fit. But that’s because the OP’s dialogue is a little contrived. You couldn’t say I’m going to do something because lisuodangran.

Ok, here’s a more specific example:

A: I’m going to grow my own herbs at home.
B: Why would you bother? You can buy all kinds of herbs and spices at the supermarket?
A: Because mine will be fresh and without pesticides. Cheaper, too.
B: Oh, I see. That makes sense.

(no particular reason to pick herbs, just that I’m looking at my basil right now. My dead basil, that is :frowning: )

In that case yǒu dàolǐ works. Preface it with a grunt for that authentic Taiwanese flavour.

yuan2 lai2 ru2 ci3 would also work.

Ha! I’d forgotten about the grunt (if we’re thinking of the same one, that is… is there an mp3 or a youtube vid?).
First year back from Taiwan I used to use it with both English and Croatian (it fits really well with the Southern Croatian dialect, too) but it slowly went away. I’m reinstating it. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Somehow I could never work it into Dutch. Odd. I wonder if Belgian Pie grunts with his Flemish?

Yeah, Taffy nailed it. “Ngh, you3 dao4li3”.