Do I have a chance of getting a Taiwanese passport and TARC?

Nice! Thanks and hope the author will reply soon.

Actually, my mom’s not German, just that dual nationality is something of an issue as well. I guess which is why we are kind of a similar situation.

Anyways, fingers crossed!

@newhere, about your passport application: Here’s some additional information on how applicants are decided to be eligible:

You (and I) belong to the latter case which means proving your mother’s national status and supplying the birth certificate additionally. To prove nationality, the link lists 戶籍謄本, 護照, 中華民國國籍證明書, and others. I think you can also take your mother’s 喪失國籍許可書 to prove her past citizenship (and nationality). In any case, you don’t require a recent 戶籍謄本. Ask the TECO representative for another way to prove nationality.

About the TARC application: For what’s it worth, the author did reply, but he didn’t have any more information other than that he recommends asking the MOI directly (which is of course a good suggestion). He did not answer (yet) what kind of document he supplied for his application.

1 Like

Amendments of immigration Act are discussed.


New draft clearly says you qualify.

第九條 臺灣地區無戶籍國民有下列情形之一者,得向移民署申請在臺灣地區居留:


Thanks, Lain.

I’ll probably be heading down to TECO when I’m able to with my birth cert, parents marriage certificate, old passports and 喪失國籍許可書 and see what they say.

Doesn’t help they’re only open when I’m at work. :anguished:

Nice! I’ll be monitoring that. I can’t find the draft legislation in the link. Do you mind sharing the link to that?

I think it’s currently at the Executive Yuan (行政院) stage, but I’m having trouble finding information on the legislation on their site. (


1 Like


@Lain Regarding the 戶口名簿, the family friend that I asked tried and that didn’t work out.

They mention something about asking mom’s siblings about a 原生戶籍謄本 (wording may not be exact). Will ask my aunt about that.

Could you get 除戶謄本?


1 Like

Hello tando, sorry for the late reply. I was waiting for some new information from my aunts in Taiwan about the 戶口名簿, and wanted to reply to both topics after I got new information.

Anyway, the person who originally told me that AF384 does not require active household registration also mentioned the thing about 除戶謄本. He said that the bureau will accept a 除戶謄本 for the TARC application for those cases where the parents do not have active household registration anymore, and told me that I should just go to any office with my mother’s old (expired) 戶籍謄本, and ask for my mother’s 除戶謄本.

What makes me wonder though: Even if the 除戶謄本 can be regarded as a form of 戶籍謄本, the required documents for AF384 do not mention a 戶籍謄本 but only a 戶口名簿. It is AF353 (where you need active household registration) that allows both 戶口名簿 and 戶籍謄本 (and would therefore also allow a 除戶謄本 if we say, in logical terms: a 除戶謄本 IS A 戶籍謄本).

From what I’ve found so far, the statement 除戶謄本 IS A 戶口名簿 cannot be made (yet). It would be nice to find a resource similar to “for applicants who cannot provide a 戶口名簿, a 戶口名簿 == 除戶謄本 equality can be made.”

The confusing thing is why AF384 – which does not require active household registration – requires a document (戶口名簿) that is seemingly harder to get if your parents don’t have an active household registration anymore. At least this is my impression about the 戶口名簿, because all of my aunts told me something like “Don’t know where we have old 戶口名簿, they often get replaced by new one’s and they always look different than the last ones,” etc.

I’m therefore still waiting for them to find an old 戶口名簿 with my mother’s name on it.


To make matters even more confusing: I once briefly mentioned that there are 2 “適用對象” options: One that requires active household registration (有直系血親、配偶、兄弟姊妹或配偶 之父母 現在在 臺灣 地區設 有 戶籍) and one that doesn’t (居住臺灣地區設有戶籍國民在國外出 生之子 女,年 齡在 二十歲 以 上). However, interestingly, in the “身分” document, the AF353 option (which allows 戶籍藤本) lacks the 現在 requirement: 有直系血親在臺灣地區設有戶籍者。

However, it says for applicants that we born overseas, the required document match with those of AF384 (以居住臺灣地區設有戶籍國民 在國外出生之子女身分申請 者,證明文件同AF384), thus excluding 戶籍謄本 again by that logic.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

my mother had a phone call with the NIA some days ago while we were looking for more information on her 除戶謄本. I have good news: The clerk said that for cases like newhere’s or mine, active household registration is not required, and as expected we just have to hand over a 除戶謄本.

Now how does one get this 除戶謄本? The person who initially pointed me into that direction also told me that I could just go to any household office with my mother’s old 戶籍謄本 and ask for a 除戶謄本 (probably relying on the clerk’s goodwill), but there is also an official way: My mother needs to sign a 授權書 appointing my aunt as her representative, and then my aunt can get the 除戶謄本 in her place.

I don’t know where one normally gets this 授權書, but the TECOs seem to offer them as well because my mother could take one from there. The process needs to go through them, and also costs a little bit (~15 EUR if I remember correctly), but we haven’t completed the form yet.

I will now make the best out of the information we have researched, and start my TARC application! I plan to have everything ready by August. See you then!


Thanks for the heads up on this, Lain!
All the best with your prep!

Linking this post because it’s related, and also reinforces what Lain said.

1 Like

why would you want a Taiwanese passport? Be ready to serve in the military

NWOHR aren’t held to the same standard for military service anyways. They serve 2 weeks if they really have to.

This post was flagged by a community member and is temporarily hidden.

After reading this thread I want to mention some more info in case it’s helpful:

  • My mom has passed away already, so that’s why I didn’t need a 授權書 but I needed to prove that she passed away and our child-parent relationship (which was required for the passport application already that I did last year)
  • My mom never lost her Taiwan nationality, so that part of my case is a little different.
  • I am over 20 years old (33).
  • I never previously had a household registration in Taiwan (I believe the process is different if you did).
  • Definitely be careful about military conscription laws if you later plan to apply for your own household registration and ID card later, and such conscription would create serious problems (keep in mind that I believe avoiding conscription is against the law so also be careful about telling everyone you have a planned intent to avoid conscription if you’re required to do it). That’s another topic that has a ton of conflicting info on the internet, which I think is specific to peoples’ specific cases (i.e. their year born) and it’s important to be careful about confirming information.
  • I think we as a community should think about the laws and application directions not in terms of specific documents you need to provide. We should think about them as “things you need to prove.” Because there are so many different possible things you might need to provide, it would be very difficult to list every combination possible. For example, as I mentioned above, if your parent(s) are deceased, the process and documents to provide are different. Another example: some people assume when you prove your parents’ marriage at the time of your birth, you need to provide a marriage certificate from another country, but in my case my parents were married in Taiwan so the original (i.e. issued by the office directly and not a photocopy) printout of the 戶籍謄本 where the marriage was recorded was sufficient. Therefore, the government would need to provide a very very complex additional set of directions to cover all possible cases and all possible documents. I’m not saying they shouldn’t in theory, but governments are created by humans and bound by rules and process, so they may not behave the way we would ideally want them to. Unfortunately, this makes it very difficult for the government employee at TECO or even entry level workers at the NIA to resolve complex cases like this, and I think this may contribute to the cases where they provide conflicting information.
1 Like

This post was flagged by a community member and is temporarily hidden.

I’ve posted an update that may be helpful to everyone in a similar situation, since my application appears to have been approved: Reasons for NWOHR getting TARC

You share that your birth certificate showed that your mom was a Taiwanese citizen (and that you were born outside of Taiwan)? Can you elaborate? I think I’m in the same situation. Thanks