Do I need a visa even if I have a ARC & ROC passport?

Here’s my situation.

I’m American and my parents are Taiwanese. Last year I applied for my ROC passport/visitor’s visa in order to enter Taiwan to apply for my ARC. Now that I have received and held my ARC for over 183 days and my visitor’s visa on my ROC passport has expired. Do I still need a visa (visitor/resident) on my ROC passport in order to stay here? Or is a ROC passport with ARC good enough and I can stay as long as my ARC is valid?

Another question is, do I need to fill out any papers or report to an official in order to leave Taiwan for a short vacation? How about entering Taiwan? Will my ARC info show up when I go through customs allowing me to enter Taiwan without a visa?

[quote=“abtguy”]Here’s my situation.

I’m American and my parents are Taiwanese. Last year I applied for my ROC passport/visitor’s visa in order to enter Taiwan to apply for my ARC. Now that I have received and held my ARC for over 183 days and my visitor’s visa on my ROC passport has expired. Do I still need a visa (visitor/resident) on my ROC passport in order to stay here? Or is a ROC passport with ARC good enough and I can stay as long as my ARC is valid?

Another question is, do I need to fill out any papers or report to an official in order to leave Taiwan for a short vacation? How about entering Taiwan? Will my ARC info show up when I go through customs allowing me to enter Taiwan without a visa?[/quote]

You have a visitor visa and now an ARC for Taiwan in an ROC Passport?

You certainly don’t need a visa for an ROC Passport unless you don’t have an ID Card. If your six months is up then you will have overstayed afaik.

You had better check with the local authorities.

You have a visitor visa and now an ARC for Taiwan in an ROC Passport?

These are two different things. The temp visitor visa I had in my ROC passport was good for about 6 months. Within this time period, I applied and received my ARC ID card which is equivalent to a Taiwanese ID. I assumed that after getting my ARC ID, I wouldn’t have to deal with the visa anymore since I’m considered a resident.

I think I don’t need a visa after getting my ARC ID but it would be assuring if someone knew and could post. I’ll ask the authorities as well.

[quote=“abtguy”]> You have a visitor visa and now an ARC for Taiwan in an ROC Passport?

These are two different things. The temp visitor visa I had in my ROC passport was good for about 6 months. Within this time period, I applied and received my ARC ID card which is equivalent to a Taiwanese ID. I assumed that after getting my ARC ID, I wouldn’t have to deal with the visa anymore since I’m considered a resident.

I think I don’t need a visa after getting my ARC ID but it would be assuring if someone knew and could post. I’ll ask the authorities as well.[/quote]

Hi abtguy,

It sounds like you have an Overseas ROC passport (one that does not have a Taiwan ID number) as you require a visa for entry and an ARC for stay. It also sounds like you had a single-entry visa. If so, you will need to get another visa and this time, make sure you get a multiple re-entry visa. It also sounds like you will also need to go through the ARC process again.

In spite of your ROC passport, you are treated as a foreigner. ARC ID is NOT the equivalent to a Taiwan ID. The basic rules that apply to non-Taiwanese nationals and passport holders apply to you too. In other words, think of yourself as a foreigner with a special passport, not as a Taiwanese with a special passport. [/code]

I made some phone calls and the lady on the other end told me I’m ok in my current situation. The visa is only for entering and exiting and I entered with a valid visa last year. It doesn’t really matter if it expired because I’m already in the country. I would have problems if I tried to leave the country now but that should be solved easily by just applying for a visa. I would only need to get a new visa if I were to exit/enter the country again. I think this makes perfect sense.

It sounds like you have an Overseas ROC passport (one that does not
have a Taiwan ID number) as you require a visa for entry and an ARC
for stay. It also sounds like you had a single-entry visa. If so, you will
need to get another visa and this time, make sure you get a multiple
re-entry visa. It also sounds like you will also need to go through the
ARC process again.

Yes, I have a passport without Taiwan ID number and I had a multiple-entry visa for 6 months. Within these 6 months, I obtained my ARC ID.

As you indicated, visa for entry and ARC for stay. I was confusing “entry/exit” with “stay” since I was used to entering with my US passport with ROC visa. In my US passport, the ROC visa stamp says “Duration of Stay: 60 days” No where in my entry/exit visa in my ROC passport does it say duration of stay, so indeed, it is only for entering and exiting. Since I entered with a valid visa I have legally entered. And ARC for legal stay as long as it remains valid. As of my current ARC ID, I’m good until next year which I can easily extend.

Now why would I have to go through the ARC cumbersome process again? The visa is only for entry/exit (if I want to take a vacation I would re-apply), it doesn’t have any affect on my ARC status. The ARC status should be dependent on my lineal relatives, not whether the entry/exit visa is a valid or not.

But I will make a trip downtown to their office and ask them in person with my documents just to be 110% sure.