Do I need ARC to buy a car?

Hi all,
I’m going to spend 6 months in Taiwan, entering the country on a 2-month multiple entry visa. As I will be
travelling around in the region anyway, I figure I don’t need to bother with getting an ARC.
However, I do want to buy a car there. My question: can I legally purchase a car in Taiwan without an ARC?
(As far as i know, I can get most other things such as bank account and SIM card without an ARC.)
Thanks
SWR

You can buy whatever car or bike or vehicle you want here, but licensing it requires an ARC.

Thanks, Mer. So if I buy a used car, already licensed, then no need for ARC, right? Or does “licensing” include the change of owner’s name in the license?
SWR

It’s kind of a catch22. You can buy the car, but it won’t come ‘already licensed’. You’ll need an ARC to get the name change from the previous owner or dealer to yours.

So in other words you will have a car with no plates.

For all practical intents and purposes, the answer is “no”.

A palatable alternative would be a long term lease, which might not work out financially worse than buying a car here. The second hand car market here is a jungle - more so than in say Europe.

So far as I know it’s completely fine to drive a vehicle registered to someone else, though they might have some liability if things go bad. Have any friends with ARCs?

Yes, it should be OK to drive it, but then I may have a hard time selling it when I leave…

The long-term lease alternative sounds interesting, if anyone can give more details, please do so.

And thanks for all the replies.
SWR

I met a guy that is leasing a new Ford Explorer (two wheel drive version). It costs him 15,000nt per month and he doesn’t have any servicing costs on top.

I’d rather rent a smaller car for 10,000/month, which seems feasible from what you write.

Of course, if it’s a LEASING rather than a RENTAL, then tha issue whether I’d need an ARC for that comes up again…

Anyway, contacts to any leasing companies would be appreciated.
SWR

[quote=“shiwurong”]I’d rather rent a smaller car for 10,000/month, which seems feasible from what you write.

Of course, if it’s a LEASING rather than a RENTAL, then tha issue whether I’d need an ARC for that comes up again…

Anyway, contacts to any leasing companies would be appreciated.
SWR[/quote]This company is reputable:
rentalcar.com.tw/

Do be aware that rental car insurance here is often pretty basic. See this thread:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=38396